BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-24-2020, 06:39 PM   #1
alienstudio
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 CP | G05 X5 40i

First impression of the X5 40i

Hello all,

I came to pick up my brand new X5 40i today and I thought I share my two cents with the car. Having owned a 958 cayenne and a F15 X5, when it came time to purchase another SUV, the new X5 lured me in. I chose the M sport pack with air suspension, sapphire black with coffee Vernesca leather, premium enhanced, 20inch all season wheels, glass application interior, sky lounge and laser lights (mentioned the major options and left some of the minor stuff out).

To start off, the ride is smooth to the point where I think it's at the same level of "being a boat" as the big Range Rover. 20inch wheel and the air suspension definitely made the car ride extremely well. The F15 X5 with 20inch and the cayenne standard suspension both are no where near as soft and comfy as the new X5. Very surprised by the road comfort. The braking performance was a main area where I felt my f15 X5 lacked in. My new X5 being a m pack came with the blue coloured m sport brakes. They are very liner in stopping performance and is night and day difference to the old steel caliper on the F15. Compared to the cayenne's front 6 pot and 4 pot rear, I feel the stopping power is very close. The cayenne has a shorter and firmer pedal while the X5 is the type where you push more to get more bite(stronger bite). Now to the steering, I think it's lighter than the previous gen, and it is definitely much lighter than the cayenne. Being a suv, I like the lightness gives the car a more nimble feel driving around town.

Interior game is where I was most attracted to the X5 when it was time to get a suv. The last gen I felt it was just a regular Bmw interior. Everything was ergonomically laid out and easy to use. Probably the most eye catching part was the digital speedo gauge. To start off, the new vernasca leather is an improvement over the Dakota leather. It is much softer to the touch yet it is firm holding its shape. Since I plan to keep it for a while, I picked vernasca over merino for its better ability with wear and tear. The dashboard and the upper part of the door cards are covered in soft material with coffee coloured stitching, which I feel gives the interior a more upscale finish. Without looking too carefully, you could fool yourself with this interior being a fully leathered option. Good job BMW. I'm not much of a tech guy, as a result I prefer the older NBT Or the NBT EVO Idrive better. The new one is nice and all, but just more complicated imo. The new speedo is interesting and busy, I turned off most of the displays and kept it as simple as possible. Rear leg room seating seemed similar, but let's face it, if you want leg room, X7 would be the way to go. The car has better isolation, not sure if the glass are laminated, but it is definitely more quiet than both the cayenne and f15 X5. You can hear a slight hint of the straight 6 and the exhaust when taking off from standstill, the sound is smooth and not intrusive at all.

Exterior wise, beauty holds in the eyes of the beholder. I like the giant grille and overall look of the front end. Not much a fan of the rear ended as it is more squared up looking than before. The blue element of the laser headlight seemed a bit too teenager to me, but what the hack, the high beam is great with the back country roads around where I live. 20s looked a bit small, but I choose comfort over aesthetic at this point of my life. In general, not a ugly duckling at all.

Overall, I feel I've made a correct decision with the purchase. I'm gonna get paint protection film on the car and ceramic coat the interior leather. This one will be kept for a long time and will serve its duties to the family.
Auricom4349.50
M40i4me1017.50
perikifi165.50
pavloPL54.50
      03-24-2020, 08:34 PM   #2
psuibmw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G06/G20/F30/F15/F10/E90

Garage List
2018 BMW 320xi  [10.00]
2023 BMW M340  [9.75]
2022 BMW  [10.00]
Excellent review Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 09:18 PM   #3
Madjackdog
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 40i X5

I got the 20’s as well. Anytime I have to choose between a more comfortable ride, and “looks”, the ride wins every time. Perhaps it’s my age. For me, there’s two boxes a car has to check to appeal to me; how the exterior looks, and how the dashboard is laid out, and the X5 hits those out of the park. Have fun with your new car!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 05:10 AM   #4
M40i4me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 X3 M40i  [10.00]
Nice review OP, We have had our X5 for a little over a week and have the air suspension with the acoustic glass. Extremely smooth and quiet. The only issue is the SOS button will not connect by the button or idrive. It’s at the dealer as they are trying to figure it out. I usually keep my vehicles for 10 years so we got the Executive package with most every additional option. Still figuring out all the tech as well. I love that the 3rd row option gives you power 2nd row seats to move front to back and tilt. Won’t use the 3rd row much, but its there in a pinch for trips with my grandson, and his parents.
Appreciate 2
      04-16-2020, 03:08 PM   #5
alienstudio
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 CP | G05 X5 40i

Full car is now covered in paint protection film. Rear windows tinted 35% and front 90% in ceramic film mainly for heat rejection.[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

04-16-2020, 04:37 PM   #6
pavloPL
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 M Sport 40i

From my experience with mine X5 i40 air ride is very comfy. I have 22" so probably the worst option and when hitting really big pothole that's a bit noticeable, but other than that really smooth, boaty feeling in Comfort. Sport mode makes ride much worse but that's good to keep body roll to minimum.

Engine is nice choice, glad it is a comfort mode as Sport Plus mode makes it a beast which pulls fast for any throttle input and makes a such a beautiful deep bass noice when raving high. Too addictive..

From my other observations I love all Driving Assistance, it works really well, keeps the car in a lane and moves to centre if drifts out. Some people complain that is too hard but to be honest is perfect, because if you don't want, you put a bit force to take control of steering wheel and it gives up.
Automatically steering and speed adjustments work impressivlly accurate in my region.

Sat nav and head up display is the best combo, shows you mini map zooming in automatically with your position updating so you exactly know where you are. Other head ups usually show you next action only so next turn, roundabouts exits, lane etc.

Laser lights, I honestly don't know even if they work, it is such a rare occasion for me to test it, I choose because of a look, unfortunately adaptive LEDs have totally different looks which does not appeal to me.

I have a 7 seater version and love the practicality of this. You don't loose a useable cargo space, you can put 2 adults there quite comfy if you play witch second row position.The only downside for me is no cargo rails with this option so now all my cargo flies in a boot.

Massage seats are good, massage works, relaxes or activate muscles in a whole seat area. I wish it could be more intensive in some modes.

Sky lounge is a bit gimmicky, I hate the adverbs saying 'star glazing' as it is just ambient lighting in a roof. If I have option to buy normal roof, probably would save money, but in UK it is an only option.

Harman Kardon is a good sound system but don't expect Hi fi quality. It is just very good consumer sound system, no rattles, no distortions on high volume, quite clear if you play with EQ, good surround but does not give you any WOW effect. The best to use CarPlay to listen it. It gives the best quality, compared to build in Apps or Bluetooth.