BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-06-2018, 08:00 AM   #1
blau iii
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i schwartz on scwartz

First Road Bike - Need Help

I need some help, I've only really ridden Mountain Bikes. I bought a 2005 Specialized Sequia Elite. I rode it for a bit and absolutely fell in love it immediately. Unfortunately, I shifted wrong and broke the chain. After replacing, I can't get the rear derailleur to work right. It "clacks" against I think the frame.

I've watched youtube videos and tried the different adjustment screws but just can't get it right. What am I doing wrong? I don't see any obvious signs of damage.

I've pretty much rebuilt my n54 but can't get this damn bike working.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 09:13 AM   #2
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

If i could help you, i would be able to use all my gears lol.

just started riding too, and bought a (what i think is nice) bike. aluminum/carbon fiber, lightweight and the chain rubs on the upper and lower ends of the gears lol.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 09:53 AM   #3
blueridge
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW Z4 35is

I assume your hanger and RD are straight / not bent?

Tuning the RD is pretty simple.
1. Shift the chain into the smallest cog (right shifter in highest gear)
2. Set your 'high' limit screw. You should be able to visually align the smallest cog on your cassette to your upper pulley on your RD, so your chain runs straight.
3. Reset your barrel adjuster on your RD to it's smallest / shortest setting
4. Reset the cable to your RD so that it is fully tensioned (don't need to use excessive force)
5. Now you can start tuning. Using the right shifter, shift to the next cog up. If it does not shift up, adjust the length on the barrel adjuster until it finally shifts to the next cog. Repeat process until you reach the last cog but typically the first barrel adjuster adjustment should allow proper shifting.
6. Once you get to the last cog on your cassette (biggest), you can set your 'lower' limit screw. Again the cog should align with your upper pulley of your RD.

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 10:09 AM   #4
blau iii
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i schwartz on scwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridge View Post
I assume your hanger and RD are straight / not bent?

Tuning the RD is pretty simple.
1. Shift the chain into the smallest cog (right shifter in highest gear)
2. Set your 'high' limit screw. You should be able to visually align the smallest cog on your cassette to your upper pulley on your RD, so your chain runs straight.
3. Reset your barrel adjuster on your RD to it's smallest / shortest setting
4. Reset the cable to your RD so that it is fully tensioned (don't need to use excessive force)
5. Now you can start tuning. Using the right shifter, shift to the next cog up. If it does not shift up, adjust the length on the barrel adjuster until it finally shifts to the next cog. Repeat process until you reach the last cog but typically the first barrel adjuster adjustment should allow proper shifting.
6. Once you get to the last cog on your cassette (biggest), you can set your 'lower' limit screw. Again the cog should align with your upper pulley of your RD.

Hope this helps
Thanks! I ended up taking it to my local shop. $25 to get it working again but I'll save this for next season...
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 11:46 PM   #5
StevenRoque
Rep
Drives: Audi A5

Thanks for the help Blueridge. It was helpful for me too.
Appreciate 0