BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-06-2020, 08:46 AM   #1
tellch00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TDI Touareg, 997 Turbo

Excited for the car to arrive...BUT...one concern...

Currently driving a 2014 vehicle and i realize tech has jumped a long way since then, but surprised to see the issues people have in simply playing music. i think i've read pretty much every post here and can't believe the histrionics people have to go thru to get their music to play. reformatting this, resetting that, etc.

the other thing i've noticed is that what works for one person doens't work for someone else. it seems as though idrive 6 was better than 7?

I prefer to use one device and just keep it in the car. I'm guessing i shouldn't even bother trying to get my old ipod classic with it's 30 pin connector to work lol?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 09:01 AM   #2
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I've had the car for about a month. There were some minor issues getting car play to connect consistently. I simply removed the car from my phone bluetooth and car play and did the same from the car. Started from scratch and it has worked flawlessly since then. There has been some minor things, but nothing consistently wrong. Most of the issue at first were just part of the learning curve.

My music setup is as follows - iPhone connected wireless carplay - play Amazon HD and Spotify with no issues || Micro USB drive in the USB-A port with about 40 GB of music on it. Works like a charm. No issues with that setup currently. I did have an issue with the USB drive not picking up a song where I left off when I shut the car down. I simply just bought a different USB drive (brand) and now it works great.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 09:33 AM   #3
tellch00
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Good to hear and thanks for the info. I would prefer to go connected/wired rather than bluetooth so happy to hear USB drive is working for you.

Any chance you think my old ipod classic (the one with the wheel lol) would work with a 30 pin to usb adapter? or should i just start transferring my library now
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 09:43 AM   #4
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellch00 View Post
Good to hear and thanks for the info. I would prefer to go connected/wired rather than bluetooth so happy to hear USB drive is working for you.

Any chance you think my old ipod classic (the one with the wheel lol) would work with a 30 pin to usb adapter? or should i just start transferring my library now
No idea.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 09:54 AM   #5
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellch00 View Post
Currently driving a 2014 vehicle and i realize tech has jumped a long way since then, but surprised to see the issues people have in simply playing music. i think i've read pretty much every post here and can't believe the histrionics people have to go thru to get their music to play. reformatting this, resetting that, etc.

the other thing i've noticed is that what works for one person doens't work for someone else. it seems as though idrive 6 was better than 7?

I prefer to use one device and just keep it in the car. I'm guessing i shouldn't even bother trying to get my old ipod classic with it's 30 pin connector to work lol?

A lot of the stuff you reading here - is user errors and people learning how to use features.
I have had the car for more than a year - and nothing but smiles.

For USB - try iPod Classic to car's USB port - 30-pin cable from iPod dock connector to USB port on car. Car stereo input mode is USB

It should work if it recognizes that as storage.

But might be easier to transfer music to a USB 3.0 - faster and smaller

I have a tiny 128 GB device with all my HD music on it and it sounds great on regular HK system.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 10:40 AM   #6
tellch00
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'm feeling better and better. fingers crossed!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 11:03 AM   #7
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

It might be user error, but when a good majority of people are having issues, it is something BMW needs to fix. tellch00 there are bugs with every release. This is on par with using beta software. It works, but it doesn't seem polished. The car drives well, music (for the most part) play, and there's plenty of other intricacies you will learn. Ilyam5 is correct that there's a learning curve, but coming from iDrive 6, you should have an easier time than someone who has never used iDrive.

If you can just be ok with the fact that you may or may not have the latest software and/or features...you'll be fine. My only piece of advice, other than this forum, your best friend will be the power knob. I would practice holding in a button for 30 seconds. Then, you'll be ready to go! Overall, love the vehicle though, but have to give BMW a hard time given the price tag and (minor) shortcomings.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 11:27 AM   #8
araje
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
It might be user error, but when a good majority of people are having issues, it is something BMW needs to fix. tellch00 there are bugs with every release. This is on par with using beta software. It works, but it doesn't seem polished. The car drives well, music (for the most part) play, and there's plenty of other intricacies you will learn. Ilyam5 is correct that there's a learning curve, but coming from iDrive 6, you should have an easier time than someone who has never used iDrive.

If you can just be ok with the fact that you may or may not have the latest software and/or features...you'll be fine. My only piece of advice, other than this forum, your best friend will be the power knob. I would practice holding in a button for 30 seconds. Then, you'll be ready to go! Overall, love the vehicle though, but have to give BMW a hard time given the price tag and (minor) shortcomings.
Wait sorry. I didn't get the power knob and 30seconds comment.
Are you referring to hard reset of idrive7?

If it is a hard reset, does it mean all customizations and settings are lost? Or is it just a soft reset.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 11:43 AM   #9
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by araje View Post

If it is a hard reset, does it mean all customizations and settings are lost? Or is it just a soft reset.
I don't know what you would want to call it exactly? It's a hard reset, but you keep all your settings. I think the software gets goofed up sometimes and you need to do it every now and then. I mostly noticed it when using my phone to stream music. However, with the Spotify streaming directly to the car now...it's PERFECT!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 12:12 PM   #10
Sonny185
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e LCI

Garage List
2024 X5 50e  [0.00]
2024 X5 40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post
A lot of the stuff you reading here - is user errors and people learning how to use features.
I have had the car for more than a year - and nothing but smiles.

For USB - try iPod Classic to car's USB port - 30-pin cable from iPod dock connector to USB port on car. Car stereo input mode is USB

It should work if it recognizes that as storage.

But might be easier to transfer music to a USB 3.0 - faster and smaller

I have a tiny 128 GB device with all my HD music on it and it sounds great on regular HK system.
I was not aware that the USB or USB-C in the X5 was 3.0. I am not sure it is, can you confirm?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 12:49 PM   #11
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

USB interfaces:
• Type A in the center console, max 1.5 A charging, capable of charging and data transfer.
• Type C in the center armrest, max 3 A charging, capable of charging and data transfer.
• Type C charging only 2x in the backrests, max 1.5 A charging, capable of charging only.

Doesn't appear to be any information on transfer speeds that I can see, but I think Ilyam5 was referring to using the type c for transferring. I'll bet that the USB Type B is a 3.0, as that seems to be the norm these days. My friend's 2019 Ford takes a 3.0 drive, so I think it's safe to say BMW would be on par.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 11:00 PM   #12
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
USB interfaces:
• Type A in the center console, max 1.5 A charging, capable of charging and data transfer.
• Type C in the center armrest, max 3 A charging, capable of charging and data transfer.
• Type C charging only 2x in the backrests, max 1.5 A charging, capable of charging only.

Doesn't appear to be any information on transfer speeds that I can see, but I think Ilyam5 was referring to using the type c for transferring. I'll bet that the USB Type B is a 3.0, as that seems to be the norm these days. My friend's 2019 Ford takes a 3.0 drive, so I think it's safe to say BMW would be on par.
Almost all 3.0 USB drives are backward compatible with previous versions of USB. Therefore, just because your friend has a USB 3.0 drive that he plugs into his Ford doesn't mean his Ford utilizes the faster transfer rates of USB 3.0. His Ford could still be using USB 2.0 but the transfer rate of the drive will fall back to the transfer rate of the device it's connected to.

On a computer you can tell if the port is USB 3.0 vs previous versions by the color of the blade on the port. Blue indicates 3.0. Additionally, the symbol for USB 3.0 and previous versions are different. See the following link for a down and dirty picture of the two symbols. https://www.addictivetips.com/window...-next-to-them/.

If you want even more information on USB take a look here. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...fications.html
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2020, 12:02 AM   #13
mgnmpl
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 M50d (G05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by araje View Post

Dont worry about randy’s comments he’s very upset about his car and BMW . I’ve used iDrive reset once and only because I wanted to check how it works.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 04:59 AM   #14
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Almost all 3.0 USB drives are backward compatible with previous versions of USB. Therefore, just because your friend has a USB 3.0 drive that he plugs into his Ford doesn't mean his Ford utilizes the faster transfer rates of USB 3.0. His Ford could still be using USB 2.0 but the transfer rate of the drive will fall back to the transfer rate of the device it's connected to.

On a computer you can tell if the port is USB 3.0 vs previous versions by the color of the blade on the port. Blue indicates 3.0. Additionally, the symbol for USB 3.0 and previous versions are different. See the following link for a down and dirty picture of the two symbols. https://www.addictivetips.com/window...-next-to-them/.

If you want even more information on USB take a look here. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...fications.html

I understand that, but can we for sure say that it is or isn’t in either vehicle? Without plugging into the vehicles and testing, it is tough to determine. At the end of the day, in the X5 at least, it’s probably safe to assume the USB C up front will it bout a doubt give you the fastest transfer speed.

How much more would it cost to put 3.0 vs 2.0 in these cars? I just never take notice, since I only use the ports for charging, which is rare given the mat. Good info on the links!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 05:01 AM   #15
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgnmpl View Post
Dont worry about randy’s comments he’s very upset about his car and BMW . I’ve used iDrive reset once and only because I wanted to check how it works.
I just had to do it last night! The ambient lights kept flashing!

Guess what fixed it...
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 11:37 AM   #16
araje
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Audi

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgnmpl View Post
Dont worry about randy's comments he's very upset about his car and BMW . I've used iDrive reset once and only because I wanted to check how it works.
I just had to do it last night! The ambient lights kept flashing!

Guess what fixed it...
Comparing it to an iPhone or MacBook, it maybe an artifact of improper SW update from the dealer?

I am thinking a re-install if the OS er.. CarOS if I may say so might help? ( sorry, apple fan boy here)
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 12:29 PM   #17
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

I think the only problem with too much tech (phone, car, etc) is do we need it? Nope. Is it awesome? Yes.

As vehicles get more and more features, there's more to go wrong as far as these creature comfort features. Everyone is playing catch up and one-upping each other. I made fun of the fan-boys for loving their analog gauges, but maybe they're on to something?

Nah, imma stick with my tech and complain lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 09:38 PM   #18
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I understand that, but can we for sure say that it is or isn’t in either vehicle? Without plugging into the vehicles and testing, it is tough to determine. At the end of the day, in the X5 at least, it’s probably safe to assume the USB C up front will it bout a doubt give you the fastest transfer speed.

How much more would it cost to put 3.0 vs 2.0 in these cars? I just never take notice, since I only use the ports for charging, which is rare given the mat. Good info on the links!
I haven't looked, but it might be in one of the spec sheets somewhere. I'm pretty sure that in order to meet USB specification standards, The USB port needs to have the corresponding symbol "SS" plus the USB symbol shown somewhere on or around the port to identify it as USB 3.0. Otherwise, it needs to have just the USB symbol somewhere around the port.

I will do some research and see if I can find what's in the 2019 X5 as well as my 2020 X7.
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2020, 07:49 AM   #19
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

mitch57 never knew what the "SS" was for, so it makes sense now. I only use the USB-C, and given that I have the MBP with Thunderbolt 3 only, I had to get a dongle (shocker from Apple). I just use the dongle with a thumb drive if I have to. All we need now is apple to put usb-c on their iPhones and all the iPads, not just pro. Lucky for the Europeans going after apple for changing their chargers versus universal.

Other than music, what are people using the USB port for in relation to data not charging?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 01:18 PM   #20
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
mitch57 never knew what the "SS" was for, so it makes sense now. I only use the USB-C, and given that I have the MBP with Thunderbolt 3 only, I had to get a dongle (shocker from Apple). I just use the dongle with a thumb drive if I have to. All we need now is apple to put usb-c on their iPhones and all the iPads, not just pro. Lucky for the Europeans going after apple for changing their chargers versus universal.

Other than music, what are people using the USB port for in relation to data not charging?
Here's what I found regarding USB labeling requirements. https://usb.org/sites/default/files/...%20Session.pdf. Scroll down to page 15 where it shows the labeling requirements for USB 3.0 and above. So, in a nutshell, based on the labeling used on the USB ports in the BMW X5/X7 vehicles the ports are standard USB 2.0 or less. Definitely not 3.0 or above.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 01:21 PM   #21
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Here's what I found regarding USB labeling requirements. https://usb.org/sites/default/files/...%20Session.pdf. Scroll down to page 15 where it shows the labeling requirements for USB 3.0 and above. So, in a nutshell, based on the labeling used on the USB ports in the BMW X5/X7 vehicles the ports are standard USB 2.0 or less. Definitely not 3.0 or above.
Thanks for the info. that's actually a good guide to keep handy. I was not holding my breathe on it. I guess they threw the USB-C in up front to provide a speedy transfer? I am still trying to find an application outside of charging. I know we can't save our profiles to a USB, which would be helpful given the connecteddrive issues. Other than charging or transfering music the HDD, am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 01:35 PM   #22
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

I've done exactly what you do since 2004 and left an iPod with all of my music in the car. I was kind of bummed when it wouldn't work the way it always did, there were so many glitches.

Now, I get in my car, hit Apple play and all the same songs that were on my iPod and are also on my iPhone are there and just start playing seamlessly. If I want to create a station from Apple Music, it's 2 hits of a touch screen.

My phone never leaves my pocket, it's like magic. After letting go of the old ways, I don't look back or miss the old way one bit.