03-20-2015, 08:31 AM   #23
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Arrow View Post
I'm aware of the alignment issue, but it doesn't change the fact that if GM wants to battle the big boy supercars, they have to make a mid-engine, V8 powered car. Whether it's branded as a Chevy or a Cadillac is still up in the air...
I don't think GM is really interested in competing with big boy supercars.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Cadillac give it a try though. The R8 really turned Audi around. It may work for Cadillac's image too...also helps that their CEO was the guy who wanted to bring the R8 to market when he worked for Audi.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 10:56 AM   #24
Golden Arrow
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 430i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Arrow View Post
I'm aware of the alignment issue, but it doesn't change the fact that if GM wants to battle the big boy supercars, they have to make a mid-engine, V8 powered car. Whether it's branded as a Chevy or a Cadillac is still up in the air...
I don't think GM is really interested in competing with big boy supercars.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Cadillac give it a try though. The R8 really turned Audi around. It may work for Cadillac's image too...also helps that their CEO was the guy who wanted to bring the R8 to market when he worked for Audi.
If they make a mid-engined car, it would be aimed squarely at the Ford GT, and as usual be considered a "bargain" considering its performance capabilities and lower price point. There are estimates the new Ford GT will be priced competitively with Lamborghini products; the GM car would be far less expensive.

There have been financial changes at GM recently, with the company burning $5 billion on buying back shares. This reduces their cash on hand by about 25%, which may impact any big R&D for a "halo" sports car.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/03/09/inve...ock/index.html
2003 330xi (Forever in my heart )
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 03:03 PM   #25
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

If Cadillac comes out with a supercar, BMW M is just...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 03:08 PM   #26
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
If Cadillac comes out with a supercar, BMW M is just...
I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being a Cadillac instead of a mid-engine 'vette and they leave Zora for something else as a Ford GT competitor.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 04:04 PM   #27
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a car

From Corvette Chief engineer..

"But that didn't stop Corvette Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter from trying recently.
As World Car Fans reported, when asked about renewed mid-engined Corvette speculation on John McElroy's Autoline After Hours, Juechter denied knowledge, stating: "I'll have to check that out, because I know no such car exists."
He also cited an at-this-point familiar script—which CorvetteForum transcribed—as to why the Corvette shouldn't go mid-engine:
"Mid-engine requires a lot of compromises. You look at the elite race programs around the world; they’re all mid-engine. So... if all you care [about] is purely performance, then it makes sense to put the engine in the back. If you’re still talking about a car that can be used as a daily driver, long-distance tourer as well, handle benignly on the track, and have accessible performance, there’s a whole lot of other things that come into what is the optimum."
Now, it's worth noting that the latest round of rumors is more robust than we've previously seen, due mostly to spy shots—which circulated early this year—of General Motors Company [NYSE:GM] testing a mid-engine platform, and GM's June 2014 filing to trademark the name "Zora."