BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-17-2023, 09:04 PM   #1
Bcm7250
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5

Exclamation Transfer Case Bushing Leaking Oil?

Hi All,

New to the forum, recently purchased a 2019 X5 xDrive 40i. Just had it at the dealer for transfer case fluid swap SIB 27 02 20. On top of flushing the fluid they are saying my transfer case bushing is leaking because it’s torn. Car only has 31K on it! They are claiming the transfer case has an oil filled bushing that shares with the transfer case fluid. Also claim transfer case was 0.5 qt low due to this. Is this true? Bushing does appear torn.
See photos from dealer below:

https://ibb.co/DQ6KSMf
https://ibb.co/ydBKCGj

Looking at parts diagrams online it doesn’t seem this could be the case at all.

Parts diagrams below:

https://ibb.co/5jKx1qm
https://ibb.co/MR6WMym

Any help is greatly appreciated. I’m weary of this diagnosis
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 09:49 PM   #2
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

The picture of your car is showing the part in the red box in 1st picture . It is how the TC get mounted on car's subframe. The 2nd picture show with the bushing remove. It is nothing more than a big metal ring shape hole for mounting purpose only. So no, this bushing wore out and leak has nothing do to with TC fluid leak. The round thing on top is where transmission output shaft is connected to, the input to the TC. The axial on the right side connects to front drive shaft

3rd picture is the other side (toward rear of the car) of TC. 1 is the the other side of the bushing hole. 2 is TC fluid fill plug. It is #9 in your part's diagram. Otherwise, TC is sealed everywhere else. 3 is where rear drive shaft is connected
Attached Images

Last edited by eelnoraa; 11-17-2023 at 09:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2023, 09:57 AM   #3
Bcm7250
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5

Thanks for the reply! I thought this was the case. So how did the oil get on the bushing? Is it oil filled, or is the dealer lying to generate work for themselves?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2023, 11:00 AM   #4
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

I am sure sure id that bushing is oil filled. But it's easy to figure out, what is the oil on the bushing? It should be very easy to tell the difference between TC fluid vs oil filled oil/grease. Also check the TC casing area above the bushing. If it is all clean, then bushing leaks. If it is also very oily, then oil mist come from above drip down to bushing. Replacing that bushing is a relatively simple job.

Either easy, even if TC fluid make it into bushing somehow, it just means TC leak. I dont believe oil fill bushing use TC fluid. They service very different purpose.
      12-05-2023, 07:54 PM   #5
cwlo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 04 m3

I just did the fluid change on my 2019, and noticed the same on my transfer case bushing. Didn't see this thread until now.

Did you ever get this sorted out? I'm thinking I will order a new bushing, and take a closer look when I install as to source of oil.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 12:59 PM   #6
coryjoon
Rep
Drives: Honda 2000

You can take the following steps:

Inspect the Bushing:

If you can safely do so, inspect the transfer case bushing yourself. Look for visible signs of tearing or damage. It's uncommon for bushings to be filled with fluid, but external leaks may be possible.
Refer to the Owner's Manual:

Check your vehicle's owner's manual for information regarding the transfer case and related components. This can provide insight into the design and function of the transfer case and its bushings.
Seek a Second Opinion:

If you're uncertain about the diagnosis provided by the dealership, consider seeking a second opinion from another reputable mechanic or a specialized BMW service center. They can assess the condition of the transfer case and bushing independently.
Review Service Bulletins:

Check for any relevant service bulletins or recalls related to your BMW X5 model year. These documents may contain information about known issues and recommended solutions.
Contact BMW Customer Service:

Reach out to BMW customer service for clarification on the specific design and function of the transfer case and its components. They may be able to provide additional information or guidance.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 07:56 PM   #7
BrizzX5
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 G05

I just hit 60,000 miles and did a transfer case fluid replacement. During the replacement, the shop had to drop the sub frame and in the process it caused a the bushing to leak. Confirmed that the bushing is oil filled. Shop had to get a new part to press the bushing out and replace it.

FWIW, I think everytime you drop the sub frame, you have to replace the bushing.
Appreciate 0