BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-13-2020, 05:11 PM   #1
35USC
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i

Spotify / Connected Music Issue

I have logged in to my Spotify premium account through the Connected Music app. It works well, until someone else starts listening to Spotify remotely. For example, if I am in my car listening to the radio and my son at home starts listening to Spotify from his iPhone, my car will switch to Spotify and start playing whatever he is listening to. If I change back to my radio station, a few moments later the Spotify music returns. Can these music overrides be prevented? If not, how do I log out of Spotify in my car?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 10:08 AM   #2
ddelX52019G05
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2019 X5 40i, Audi A7 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35USC View Post
I have logged in to my Spotify premium account through the Connected Music app. It works well, until someone else starts listening to Spotify remotely. For example, if I am in my car listening to the radio and my son at home starts listening to Spotify from his iPhone, my car will switch to Spotify and start playing whatever he is listening to. If I change back to my radio station, a few moments later the Spotify music returns. Can these music overrides be prevented? If not, how do I log out of Spotify in my car?

To answer your question:
How do I logout of Spotify?
In Spotify playlist menu, select the “Option” button on the iDrive controller followed by “Logout”.

Odd that after selecting the radio it rejoins to Spotify a few moments later.

If both want to listen to your own music at the same time, you would each need to have your own Spotify account to avoid knocking each other offline, Spotify only permits a single instance of usage on a device (or device group). If you have a family account then you can have up to six users, each with their own login and each user can be listening to different content simultaneously.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 08:24 AM   #3
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
This might be user error on the spotify app at home. Spotify does not allow you to listen to one account on multiple devices. So, for example, when I start up spotify it will ask if I want to resume session and say it was playing on "SONOS Living Room" if I hit yes then it will start playing there. You have to tell spotify "Listen on this device". What I suspect is happening is you have one account shared with the whole family and when your son fires up spotify at home, he's not realizing that it's playing on your car instead of the home speakers. He just needs to tell the spotify app at home output the music to whatever home speakers he wants.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 11:30 PM   #4
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

I believe there is also a similar bug in that signing in to the iDrive app and your CarPlay iOS app can cause a conflict

See this thread which describes a similar bug: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1722853
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 09:16 PM   #5
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

I have solved this (for now) by signing out of the iDrive Spotify app and just using CarPlay. There must be a conflict between the two.

Spotify iOS 8.5.58
iStep 03/2020.30
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 01:53 PM   #6
35USC
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i

Thank you for the replies. I realize that I cannot listen to Spotify at the same time as someone else. What happens is that when I am listening to something other than Spotify (e.g., local radio station or XM radio), and then someone not in the car (e.g., at home) starts listening to Spotify, my car switches from my radio station to the Spotify music that is being listened elsewhere. My guess is that this a glitch in the car's software on how it works with Spotify.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 04:58 PM   #7
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Thank you for the replies. I realize that I cannot listen to Spotify at the same time as someone else. What happens is that when I am listening to something other than Spotify (e.g., local radio station or XM radio), and then someone not in the car (e.g., at home) starts listening to Spotify, my car switches from my radio station to the Spotify music that is being listened elsewhere. My guess is that this a glitch in the car's software on how it works with Spotify.
Update: Long post deleted after reading much more carefully. Yes, that does sound weird. Never experienced that or heard anyone else experience that.

As a work around attempt (because life is short), maybe try dedicating a Spotify userid JUST for your personal use and nowhere/no one else at all. That way, no one else could possibly trigger Spotify playback except you. You can share playlists between userids if necessary.
      06-06-2020, 06:34 PM   #8
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Quote:
Update: Long post deleted after reading much more carefully. Yes, that does sound weird. Never experienced that or heard anyone else experience that.

As a work around attempt (because life is short), maybe try dedicating a Spotify userid JUST for your personal use and nowhere/no one else at all. That way, no one else could possibly trigger Spotify playback except you. You can share playlists between userids if necessary.
I figured what my issue was regarding Spotify Carplay app, Spotify iDrive app and Spotify iOS app. So my user case was as follows:
- listening to Spotify at home on Sonos via my iPhone.
- hop in my car to head out and Spotify would automatically start playing in my car. Since I almost always listen to Spotify in the car I just assumed it was the Spotify iDrive app controlling the play back.
- go to switch songs/Playlist and Spotify Carplay would try and boot up.
- everything goes to shit.

What I realized was happening is that when I would get into my car, my iPhone would connect to my cars Bluetooth. So it wasn't my iDrive or CarPlay controlling the playback, it was really my phone.

Once I realized this, I simply grabbed my phone and in the playback settings switched it from "BMWxxx" to "This Phone" and everything worked itself out.

Hope this helps ppl down the road.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 06:56 AM   #9
buggydrvr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21' X5 40i x-drive

Quote:
I have this exact same problem, I can't for the life of me figure it out. Has anyone solved this?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 03:17 PM   #10
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggydrvr View Post
I have this exact same problem, I can't for the life of me figure it out. Has anyone solved this?
I think this is a Spotify account issue. Any user who accesses the same Spotify account will disconnect you and connect themselves to the service. If you have other people that need to access your Spotify and you don't want them to affect you then you need to subscribe to a Spotify duo account (adds around $2-3) or get them a separate Spotify account.
      04-29-2022, 10:47 AM   #11
buggydrvr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21' X5 40i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVR4 View Post
I think this is a Spotify account issue. Any user who accesses the same Spotify account will disconnect you and connect themselves to the service. If you have other people that need to access your Spotify and you don't want them to affect you then you need to subscribe to a Spotify duo account (adds around $2-3) or get them a separate Spotify account.
Thanks, crazy that it does this even if you aren't attempting to play anything, solely because you are logged into the same account.
Appreciate 0