BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-30-2020, 10:17 AM   #1
gokudo_90
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

New to coding

Hey guys

Im new to coding using bimmercode, and im currently scheduled to service the car on Monday,

Do i need to reset everything i coded? Will it cause warranty issues? Will it be visible to the dealer??

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 08:10 AM   #2
Jank
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5

I'm just starting with this too, I understand your concern.
Did you have the service done? Was there a problem with the coding changes?
Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 08:46 AM   #3
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

The coding that you do on bimmercode and to some extent Esys is not "coding" in the true sense of the word. Coding implies that you're changing the source code of the software to suit your needs.

What we're actually doing with bimmercode "coding" is unlocking features that are already programmed in the software, but are disabled for one reason or another. For example, "coding" the 5-blink turn signal doesn't require the user to apply special programming structure to the car to add that. It's simply going into the software and changing "disabled" to "enabled". For whatever reason, BMW has it disabled in some markets.

With all that being said, I'm sure a savvy service tech will notice the difference. I'm also pretty confident that they won't care - most coding done is superficial and doesn't actually affect the performance of the car. Why would the service tech care if your car is showing the Alpina dash instead of the stock BMW one?
With that in mind, you shouldn't see any warranty issues either. That's not to mean that if you go into "expert" mode on Bimmercode (or use Esys) and start haphazardly changing things that you have no idea what you're doing, that could cause the software to act in an unexpected manor, in which case, I don't think BMW will fix it under warranty if they can show you're the one who caused the issue.
Appreciate 0