BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-30-2020, 01:32 PM   #1
Hieupham
Rep
Drives: X5

Sort songs correctly alphabetically

Dear friends,
Just got my BMW X5 2020 (ID7), I have copied the mp3 songs into USB C and when plugged into the car the file names are not sorted alfabetically, like some correctly A,B,C,D etc and then A again and C somewhere else. Not as in the PC from where I copied the music files, where 1,2,3... and then ABCD are correctly displayed and showed.
From the plugged into the car USB song names are sorted randomly, some correct and some not.
If I go back and choose by Tracks and then everything is fine.

How do I correct the issue?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 01:46 PM   #2
Hieupham
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hieupham View Post
Dear friends,
Just got my BMW X5 2020 (ID7), I have copied the mp3 songs into USB C and when plugged into the car the file names are not sorted alfabetically, like some correctly A,B,C,D etc and then A again and C somewhere else. Not as in the PC from where I copied the music files, where 1,2,3... and then ABCD are correctly displayed and showed.
From the plugged into the car USB song names are sorted randomly, some correct and some not.
If I go back and choose by Tracks and then everything is fine.

How do I correct the issue?
I have tried to Select all from Windows PC, properties => Details => Remove properties n Personal info => Select All => OK

Then using application called Get Attribute Changer => select all files => Change Attributes => selected all dates and hours etc and remove them

But still doesnt work
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 08:58 AM   #3
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
It wasn't clear if your flash drive correctly displays the file order, or how you have your files organized, but this thread might have some useful info:

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ht=Reindex+usb

You likely need to re-index your flash drive buffer in iDrive 7. You can also transfer music files to your internal HD, which should correctly organize the files automatically.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 12:38 PM   #4
Hieupham
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
It wasn't clear if your flash drive correctly displays the file order, or how you have your files organized, but this thread might have some useful info:

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ht=Reindex+usb

You likely need to re-index your flash drive buffer in iDrive 7. You can also transfer music files to your internal HD, which should correctly organize the files automatically.
Thank you, in windows (pc) everything is fine and sorted by name corectly, like numbers (1,2,3) come first and then the a,b,c,d

But as you stick the usb c into the car, the sorting somehow goes random, like a,b,c,d and then a again and 1 somewhere else, as well as X can be above W etc, its very annoying to find the song everytime.

At first I thought it order by date created but after I remove all dates and times the problem is still there.

I have not tried the hard disk as the USB way is more convinient, not sure what the re indexing is
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 01:05 PM   #5
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you, in windows (pc) everything is fine and sorted by name corectly, like numbers (1,2,3) come first and then the a,b,c,d

But as you stick the usb c into the car, the sorting somehow goes random, like a,b,c,d and then a again and 1 somewhere else, as well as X can be above W etc, its very annoying to find the song everytime.

At first I thought it order by date created but after I remove all dates and times the problem is still there.

I have not tried the hard disk as the USB way is more convinient, not sure what the re indexing is
iDrive 7 stores an index of each flash drive (up to 5) in a volatile stored buffer to speed up reading the drive(s). What you see on your screen in Media is the result of iDrive reading that index, and it creates the index automatically from reading the flash drive(s). Sometimes this buffer gets confused, for a number of reasons, and the index is incorrect. You then might see on the screen duplicate names for each file, for example. They don't actually exist on the flash drive, but the index has them listed that way, and that's what iDrive will read each time you insert that flash drive until you correct it. Same for the order of files.

Re-indexing the buffer involves erasing what's there and replacing it with a new index. That's described in the thread link I sent you, but this is essentially the sequence you have to follow, below. It's not complicated, but it needs to be followed exactly. The most important part is using DIFFERENT manufacturers for each drive - iDrive has a simple mind, so when it "sees" two drives from Sandisk, it "thinks" they are the same drive, and won't delete that part of the index. What you are doing is basically overloading the index buffer and forcing iDrive to replace it with a new index from the drive you want it to read correctly. It stores the index files from up to 5 flash drives, so you have to load at least 5 different drives in order to reindex it, and 6 drives is probably better. If this all sounds confusing to you, you might want to get help from another Bimmer owner or someone with computer savvy. Sequence follows:

- All USB drives should be made by different manufacturers or else iDrive may think you're reconnecting the same USB drive again. For example, if you have two Lexar USB drives that are identical or even of different sizes (i.e. 8GB & 32GB) it will think it's the same drive, because the drive ID will be the same and it won't know any better.
I use five different USB drives not including the drive that I'm trying to flush the cache on. You maybe able to get away with less, I just don't know the cap on drive caching.

- Make sure all USB drives are formatted as FAT32 or NTFS. Copy a single audio file on each drive.

- Plug in one USB drive at a time, wait until it reads the drive and then play the single audio file for a couple of seconds.

- Remove the USB drive and repeat with the rest of the USB drives, this will basically force it to flush the drive cache.

- Afterwards connect the drive that has all of your music, iDrive will re-index it from scratch and get rid of duplicates, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 01:12 PM   #6
Hieupham
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

iDrive 7 stores an index of each flash drive (up to 5) in a volatile stored buffer to speed up reading the drive(s). What you see on your screen in Media is the result of iDrive reading that index, and it creates the index automatically from reading the flash drive(s). Sometimes this buffer gets confused, for a number of reasons, and the index is incorrect. You then might see on the screen duplicate names for each file, for example. They don't actually exist on the flash drive, but the index has them listed that way, and that's what iDrive will read each time you insert that flash drive until you correct it. Same for the order of files.

Re-indexing the buffer involves erasing what's there and replacing it with a new index. That's described in the thread link I sent you, but this is essentially the sequence you have to follow, below. It's not complicated, but it needs to be followed exactly. The most important part is using DIFFERENT manufacturers for each drive - iDrive has a simple mind, so when it "sees" two drives from Sandisk, it "thinks" they are the same drive, and won't delete that part of the index. What you are doing is basically overloading the index buffer and forcing iDrive to replace it with a new index from the drive you want it to read correctly. It stores the index files from up to 5 flash drives, so you have to load at least 5 different drives in order to reindex it, and 6 drives is probably better. If this all sounds confusing to you, you might want to get help from another Bimmer owner or someone with computer savvy. Sequence follows:

- All USB drives should be made by different manufacturers or else iDrive may think you're reconnecting the same USB drive again. For example, if you have two Lexar USB drives that are identical or even of different seizes (i.e. 8GB & 32GB) it will think it's the same drive, because the drive ID will be the same and it won't know any better.
I use five different USB drives not including the drive that I'm trying to flush the cache on. You maybe able to get away with less, I just don't know the cap on drive caching.

- Make sure all USB drives are formatted as FAT32 or NTFS. Copy a single audio file on each drive.

- Plug in one USB drive at a time, wait until it reads the drive and then play the single audio file for a couple of seconds.

- Remove the USB drive and repeat with the rest of the USB drives, this will basically force it to flush the drive cache.

- Afterwards connect the drive that has all of your music, iDrive will re-index it from scratch and get rid of dup
licates, etc.
Thank you i will try as i wake up
So basically, if i have only one usb C that i plug into the car under the arm rest, the procedure is just to plug in, play something, remove the usb and stick it in again?

PS: year the songs order i see from the screen are always the same doest matter how i remove and copy again and again from the pc, removing all the dates etc
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 01:29 PM   #7
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So basically, if i have only one usb C that i plug into the car under the arm rest, the procedure is just to plug in, play something, remove the usb and stick it in again?

PS: year the songs order i see from the screen are always the same doest matter how i remove and copy again and again from the pc, removing all the dates etc
You're welcome! You'd think BMW had a better way to do this, but alas, not.

if i have only one usb C that i plug into the car under the arm rest, the procedure is just to plug in, play something, remove the usb and stick it in again?

No - you need at least 5 different flash drives, from different manufacturers, then follow the procedure outlined. Also important to have them formatted in FAT32 or NTFS. Once you've cycled the 5 different flash drives, then insert the drive with your music files on it and it should reindex the buffer with the correct information. It may or may not work, but at least it will eliminate one possibility. I should add that I've found 128G drives to be the most reliable as far as operation, although others on the forum have gotten larger drives to work satisfactorily. BMW recommends no larger than 128G.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 10:52 AM   #8
Hieupham
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You're welcome! You'd think BMW had a better way to do this, but alas, not.

if i have only one usb C that i plug into the car under the arm rest, the procedure is just to plug in, play something, remove the usb and stick it in again?

No - you need at least 5 different flash drives, from different manufacturers, then follow the procedure outlined. Also important to have them formatted in FAT32 or NTFS. Once you've cycled the 5 different flash drives, then insert the drive with your music files on it and it should reindex the buffer with the correct information. It may or may not work, but at least it will eliminate one possibility. I should add that I've found 128G drives to be the most reliable as far as operation, although others on the forum have gotten larger drives to work satisfactorily. BMW recommends no larger than 128G.
Thank you, so much mess and actions so I think i just gonna skip the whole procedure. And do the manual search & select...

The interesting part is that, if you go to Tracks and choose the song with number, lets say "1 Direction" , let it play and then go back to Usb folder, the songs get sorted quite good, with some songs in random order (I dont know what kind of algorythm is that...)

Btw never had this with my 2011 BMW 535 GT, Audi Q5 and Porsche Cayenne.

This is funny, also when you play something and next time you start the car, the system will play from the very 1st song lol , not the one last played.
Appreciate 0