BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-02-2020, 06:24 AM   #1
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Drive recorder question

So.... "mysteriously" I got the connected drive, drive recorder, and all sorts of new features I never expected top get with a US spec X5 in Europe. Very happy.

Playing with the drive recorder.... I've got it set to work automatically upon impact, or to work manually. I even have preset #1 set to go right to it. I've tested it, played videos back in my car... all works well.

See.... here in Belgium.... you aren't allowed to video other cars, at all. it's against the law. If you have a recording of an accident (including your own), you have to identify it immediately to the police, and turn it over to the police immediately. If I fail to do exactly that... I can be charged with a crime (seriously).

I'm given the option to "export" any videos I've made.... but I have no idea where they go. ????

I can see "export to USB" (which is what I want), but it is greyed out, and I cannot use it, even with a USB plugged into my center console.

What am I doing wrong? How do I quickly export a video onto a usb, and then HAND that usb to a police officer.... should something bad ever happen?
6-Piston X5M Big Brake Kit:https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1779038
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 07:04 AM   #2
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

I've managed to export a few videos via USB, so it definitely works.

It might depend on which USB port you use. I used the USB port near the cup holders at the front. Maybe try that one and see how you go.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 07:12 AM   #3
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G0530d View Post

It might depend on which USB port you use. I used the USB port near the cup holders at the front. Maybe try that one and see how you go.
That is the one I used as well (by the cupholders). It doesn't even show USB as an option when I want to export. It's greyed out, even with a USB plugged in.
6-Piston X5M Big Brake Kit:https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1779038
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 07:39 AM   #4
phillydilles
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G0530d View Post

That is the one I used as well (by the cupholders). It doesn't even show USB as an option when I want to export. It's greyed out, even with a USB plugged in.
Could it be the type of formatting of the flash drive? FAT or NTFS?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 11:34 AM   #5
DBV
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, G20 330d, Brabus Smart

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [8.75]
2018 Brabus Smart  [0.00]
2021 BMW 330d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydilles View Post
Could it be the type of formatting of the flash drive? FAT or NTFS?
I had a similar issue with a USB on my F01 750i.

Ultimately, what solved it was reformatting the USB as a "fresh" stick, and then transferring the files. (I was trying to upload music to the HD) - It didn't recognize the stick until I did this. Unfortunately I don't remember what format I chose when rewriting the USB.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 11:41 AM   #6
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBV View Post
I had a similar issue with a USB on my F01 750i.

Ultimately, what solved it was reformatting the USB as a "fresh" stick, and then transferring the files. (I was trying to upload music to the HD) - It didn't recognize the stick until I did this. Unfortunately I don't remember what format I chose when rewriting the USB.
That makes sense. Hopefully someone will chime in here and provide some clarity.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 12:17 PM   #7
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
So.... "mysteriously" I got the connected drive, drive recorder, and all sorts of new features I never expected top get with a US spec X5 in Europe. Very happy.

Playing with the drive recorder.... I've got it set to work automatically upon impact, or to work manually. I even have preset #1 set to go right to it. I've tested it, played videos back in my car... all works well.

See.... here in Belgium.... you aren't allowed to video other cars, at all. it's against the law. If you have a recording of an accident (including your own), you have to identify it immediately to the police, and turn it over to the police immediately. If I fail to do exactly that... I can be charged with a crime (seriously).

I'm given the option to "export" any videos I've made.... but I have no idea where they go. ????

I can see "export to USB" (which is what I want), but it is greyed out, and I cannot use it, even with a USB plugged into my center console.

What am I doing wrong? How do I quickly export a video onto a usb, and then HAND that usb to a police officer.... should something bad ever happen?
Wow. I never heard / thought of that.

I know that with the surveillance cameras on my house I can't make a movie of the street and the people and cars driving through. (But I still do record a bit) You have to register your cameras with the police and tell how you are using them and what you are doing with the data.

And that is strange because a similar regulation should exist with the drive recorder as it is recording public places. I have the drive recorder from factory an no one at the dealership told me to register my camera like a surveillance camera on your house.

Well this is Belgium. If you don't tell nobody will know you have a recording of an accident. I just wonder how legal it is and if it looses any legal usability if you don't report it ASAP after you had an accident your self. But in Belgium laws are made to use at your best convenience anyway. So ASAP is open for discussion. Like not being able to put it on an usb stick sounds like a good reason for delay.

I haven't tried it yet but can't you use the camera button next to the gear lever to start recording? Or is the preset button easier to use?

I am still figuring out what is best. I am recording all 4 cameras a lower definition. It can also record just one In higher definition. But according to Murphy's law the accident will probably happen at side that is not being recorded.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 01:17 PM   #8
Mjbmw1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Format 16 to 32gb with FAT and it should work I used it already.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 03:54 PM   #9
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post

I know that with the surveillance cameras on my house I can't make a movie of the street and the people and cars driving through. (But I still do record a bit) You have to register your cameras with the police and tell how you are using them and what you are doing with the data.

And that is strange because a similar regulation should exist with the drive recorder as it is recording public places. I have the drive recorder from factory an no one at the dealership told me to register my camera like a surveillance camera on your house.

Well this is Belgium. If you don't tell nobody will know you have a recording of an accident. I just wonder how legal it is and if it looses any legal usability if you don't report it ASAP after you had an accident your self. But in Belgium laws are made to use at your best convenience anyway. So ASAP is open for discussion. Like not being able to put it on an usb stick sounds like a good reason for delay.

I haven't tried it yet but can't you use the camera button next to the gear lever to start recording? Or is the preset button easier to use?

I am still figuring out what is best. I am recording all 4 cameras a lower definition. It can also record just one In higher definition. But according to Murphy's law the accident will probably happen at side that is not being recorded.
As far as I know, everything is true. It's what I was briefed when I got here.

The camera button on the center console only works under a certain speed, and it also doesnt record. I went to the drive recorder app, highlighted it (but didnt open it), and then saved it as preset 1. Now, when I hit 1, it automatically brings up the record menu, and I can start recording with 1 touch. I think it inly does 40 seconds at a time though. Nothing is stopping you from recording multiple videos though.
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1077.00
      06-02-2020, 03:55 PM   #10
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjbmw1 View Post
I'm pretty computer stupid. Is there a quick reference guide or link that will show me how to format it properly?

Also.... I need to buy some new usbs. Recommendation on size? Any possibility you can buy them already formatted properly?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 06:32 PM   #11
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The camera button on the center console only works under a certain speed, and it also doesnt record. I went to the drive recorder app, highlighted it (but didnt open it), and then saved it as preset 1. Now, when I hit 1, it automatically brings up the record menu, and I can start recording with 1 touch. I think it inly does 40 seconds at a time though. Nothing is stopping you from recording multiple videos though.
If you want to save that number 1 memory preset, the panomera camera button serves the same purpose. If you hold it down it will initiate the drive recorder.
Appreciate 2
X5 45e1077.00
homerrr132.00
      06-02-2020, 06:46 PM   #12
phillydilles
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G05

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjbmw1 View Post
I'm pretty computer stupid. Is there a quick reference guide or link that will show me how to format it properly?

Also.... I need to buy some new usbs. Recommendation on size? Any possibility you can buy them already formatted properly?
Chances are a basic 16 or 32 gb should be fine out of the box - I'd expect most to be FAT these days. Since you'd expect that you'll normally take out and store any footage as needed ad hoc, I wouldn't get anything larger than that.

Sony Asia has some good Windows/Mac instructions on the formatting process here - https://www.sony-asia.com/electronic...icles/00129086

You can also check out this video if that's easier:
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 01:10 AM   #13
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I thought, like mentioned below by VENTGR the panorama camera switch (panomera &#128540 does this. So if you long press this button left to the gear lever it will initiate recording. So just with a single 2-3 seconds push.

Just tested it going to work and it works like that indeed.

It makes senses if you want to record a potentially dangerous situation that you can do this with a single push and have to look at the screen and search.

If you can do single push recording with the preset button it would even be better. Because that button is easier to find.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 01:25 AM   #14
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I thought, like mentioned below by VENTGR the panorama camera switch (panomera &#128540 does this. So if you long press this button left to the gear lever it will initiate recording. So just with a single 2-3 seconds push.

It makes senses if you want to record a potentially dangerous situation that you can do this with a single push and have to look at the screen and search.

If you can do single push recording with the preset button it would even be better. Because that button is easier to find.
DR manual recording cannot be triggered with one of 8 memory buttons (at least it can't as of 11/2019.40 software). Manual recording can be triggered by the panorama button long press as discussed, from the DR app itself, or the best way: place DR app on one of the tiles in main display and a single tap on that starts a manual recording. I have it in the lower corner closest to driver, easiest to reach almost blind and it's a pretty bit touch target to tap.
      06-03-2020, 02:14 AM   #15
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

DR manual recording cannot be triggered with one of 8 memory buttons (at least it can't as of 11/2019.40 software). Manual recording can be triggered by the panorama button long press as discussed, from the DR app itself, or the best way: place DR app on one of the tiles in main display and a single tap on that starts a manual recording. I have it in the lower corner closest to driver, easiest to reach almost blind and it's a pretty bit touch target to tap.
Thanks good tip. I will try.

But than you have to keep idrive in home screen and navigate on a small screen?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 09:13 AM   #16
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
As an addition, it's best to reformat any portable flash drive you plan on using for data storage rather than using it out-of-the-box, for a number of reasons - which includes removing all the software often included "free" by the manufacturer on the drive. It's also usually best to reformat it on the device you plan on using to read it, although I don't find any option in IDrive 7 to format devices, so your home computer is the next best option. And the standard FAT32 or NTFS formatting is more universally reliable and readable in transferring between portable devices (of which the X5 is one), although exFAT seems to work in the G05.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 09:20 AM   #17
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Not sure if you figured this out, but I was having a heck of a time with formatting. I only have Macs, so I always get some odd issue from time to time. I ended up having to change to exFAT with Master Boot Record and it works fine.

Also, I had set a 1-8 button as a preset, but if you have an extra space for a tile on your home screen on one of the other pages...there's a tile for Drive Recorder. It's nice, since you can just tap it or navigate to it with the iDrive knob. It starts right up recording. I have had some issues with my 1-8 buttons being unreliable. Half the time, if I press it real quick, I get that "Unable to Save" banner. I figured I want reliability with the recording, so this seemed to help.
Appreciate 1
volodp193.50
      06-03-2020, 10:21 AM   #18
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
Not sure if you figured this out, but I was having a heck of a time with formatting. I only have Macs, so I always get some odd issue from time to time. I ended up having to change to exFAT with Master Boot Record and it works fine.

Also, I had set a 1-8 button as a preset, but if you have an extra space for a tile on your home screen on one of the other pages...there's a tile for Drive Recorder. It's nice, since you can just tap it or navigate to it with the iDrive knob. It starts right up recording. I have had some issues with my 1-8 buttons being unreliable. Half the time, if I press it real quick, I get that "Unable to Save" banner. I figured I want reliability with the recording, so this seemed to help.
For me the fastest way to activate DR is to push the camera button next to the gear for 2 seconds. It starts recording directly without any other action and you can still keep the navigation on the big screen.

After all your tips I have also programmed drive recorder on my second screen. Maybe I will even put it on my homescreen (I have half screen navigation 1/4 phone and 1/4 e drive) I can switch phone and DR.

For normal drives around town I use home screen as default. For longer trips I have the full map sometimes with directions on split screen. So in that case the camera button is still best.

Or push home button an then push DR tile but that is two actions.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 11:05 AM   #19
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

For me the fastest way to activate DR is to push the camera button next to the gear for 2 seconds. It starts recording directly without any other action and you can still keep the navigation on the big screen.

After all your tips I have also programmed drive recorder on my second screen. Maybe I will even put it on my homescreen (I have half screen navigation 1/4 phone and 1/4 e drive) I can switch phone and DR.

For normal drives around town I use home screen as default. For longer trips I have the full map sometimes with directions on split screen. So in that case the camera button is still best.

Putting the DR tile on second screen defeats the point almost entirely. Might as well just rely on the long push of panorama button in that case. When it's in the main screen, it's a quick tap and no 2-3 second delay — my thought is that if I need that for some reason, I am not going to be thinking about delays or trying to look down to try to find the obscure panorama button floating in the middle of other "random" buttons. To each his own.
      06-03-2020, 11:12 AM   #20
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Putting the DR tile on second screen defeats the point almost entirely. Might as well just rely on the long push of panorama button in that case. When it's in the main screen, it's a quick tap and no 2-3 second delay — my thought is that if I need that for some reason, I am not going to be thinking about delays or trying to look down to try to find the obscure panorama button floating in the middle of other "random" buttons. To each his own.
but the main home screen is valuable real estate - why would you take up the space for a tile you may never use? In the event of a near accident, you have 20 seconds to "think" to capture the recording. That's a lot of time. In the event of a real accident it captures the recording automatically.
Appreciate 2
X5 45e1077.00
volodp193.50
      06-03-2020, 11:15 AM   #21
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Quote:
but the main home screen is valuable real estate - why would you take up the space for a tile you may never use? In the event of a near accident, you have 20 seconds to "think" to capture the recording. That's a lot of time. In the event of a real accident it captures the recording automatically.
Like I said, to each his own. We're basically fighting about how to work around yet another shitty UI/UX design by BMW.
      06-03-2020, 12:35 PM   #22
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes that's correct. I tried it and it is the fastest and easiest way is if you put as a tile on the homescreen. And like you mention there are more roads to lead to Rome. But I prefer to see my road to Rome on a big screen😜. So for mee large navigation screen and camera button. Or do you navigate full screen and then push the home button and afterwards the tile? This might still be easier and faster than the camera button. The home button is easier to locate

I have two other thoughts after reading the manual.

It also records the speed. This might be info you don't want to share with the police or the insurance company.

And the manual says that if recording is initiated it saves the 20 seconds before and the 20 second after. Does anyone have any experience with that?
Appreciate 0