BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-31-2005, 01:12 AM   #1
E90-4life
auto pilot
Rep
Drives: E60 M5 chilln on slicks

Myths?

watching my fav show, "20/20", Mr. John Stocil(however the hell you spell his last name, too damm lazy to stop and look it up) did a special on 20 myths that plague society today. The very last one was "life is getting worse", he pointed out how much the news soaps up everday w/ out failure, and I thought about how many people I hear everyday talking about what they heard on the news about this and that and start living their lives as if the news was giving some sort of prophecy on their own lives. It's pathetic, things like this make me want to live in a tree somewhere in a forest(if such a thing exsists) and never come down. Another interesting pile of shiz(especially ever so prevelant here in L.A.) was "money makes you happy" - some people actually believe it does. Mr. Stocil interviewed two of the greatest people to talk about money the Simmons brothers. Rus gave a breif flashback to when he first started out as a majorly noveau riche record label CEO, he went out and bought a brand new Roller Silver Spirit(white and bulletproof) and passed up some young ladies one evening he waved to, w/ out a doubt the acknowledged him, but as he progressed further to wherever he was going he said it hit him that he wasn't really all that jazzed about having the nicest car and attracting the best of looking females. Money is great, but you can't take it w/ you through the pearly gates... or the flames.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2005, 01:12 AM   #2
bmwnewbie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90

I agree, watched that myself.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2005, 01:18 AM   #3
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

But having money lets you focus on the things that make you happy...unless making money makes you happy? I don't even watch television anymore. Go Ronaldinho!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2005, 01:25 AM   #4
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

there's a happy medium, I mean you can't be dirt poor, homeless and be happy, can you?
yes, money doesn't mean happiness, but I think you need to have at least some to achieve happiness
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2005, 01:30 AM   #5
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

a chip and a chair.....that's all it takes to make me happy....
      12-31-2005, 01:33 AM   #6
canucklion
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaTuReB0Y
a chip and a chair.....that's all it takes to make me happy....
so, you just need to make enough money to get you some chips and a chair, then you've achieved nirvana
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2005, 01:42 AM   #7
E90-4life
auto pilot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklion
I mean you can't be dirt poor, homeless and be happy, can you?
That maybe the truth for YOU. I can point to a ton of indivduals who are very content and happy w/ their lives, some rich, some not so rich, money is of little significance to them. Its this stupid American way of thinking that tells us if you dont' have money you're not doing anything, you're not going anywhere, and you are nothing more than a mere NO BODY. If your love is the chasing of all things of monetary then you truly live a sad life and you're on your way to a very lonely place.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2005, 01:43 AM   #8
E90-4life
auto pilot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
But having money lets you focus on the things that make you happy...unless making money makes you happy? I don't even watch television anymore. Go Ronaldinho!
Somehow you've failed to make me laugh.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2005, 01:54 AM   #9
canucklion
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90-4life
That maybe the truth for YOU. I can point to a ton of indivduals who are very content and happy w/ their lives, some rich, some not so rich, money is of little significance to them. Its this stupid American way of thinking that tells us if you dont' have money you're not doing anything, you're not going anywhere, and you are nothing more than a mere NO BODY. If your love is the chasing of all things of monetary then you truly live a sad life and you're on your way to a very lonely place.
you've misinterpreted what I was trying to get across, like I said, money does not mean everything, but you need to at least have SOME to help you achieve the level of happiness that you desire. For some people, they just need the basic necessicities in life to make them happy, for others, more. I'm not saying that if you don't have money, then you're a nobody.

when I asked if you can be dirt poor, homeless and be happy, you can't seriously tell me that those homeless people on the street are HAPPY with their lives, can you?

For me, I'm still a grad student, so my goals are not so extravagant, when I'm done with my degree, I would like to pay off my student debts, have a decent shelter and live/work closer to my family/friends, the family/friends part is obviously intangible and can't be achieved by having money, but how do you think I can pay off my debts and get a place to live without having some money?? just pray and meditate that I'm in a happy place?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2005, 02:00 AM   #10
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Somehow you've failed to make me laugh.
That's because I wasn't trying to.

With no money, you can't survive in this world. Unless, you become a hunter or something.

Last edited by shimshimhada; 12-31-2005 at 02:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2005, 02:02 AM   #11
canucklion
Canada
Rep

Quote:
That's because I wasn't trying to.

With no money, you can't survive in this world. Unless, you become a hunter or something.
exactly man, doesn't matter your definition of happiness, you still need some $$$ to get you there.

Last edited by canucklion; 12-31-2005 at 02:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2005, 02:04 AM   #12
E90-4life
auto pilot
Rep

Quote:

when I asked if you can be dirt poor, homeless and be happy, you can't seriously tell me that those homeless people on the street are HAPPY with their lives, can you?
I never agreed to that. I totally understood what you were saying but I focused more on making my own points(selfish i know). There are differing levels of poverty. Being homeless in America is a tragedy, while being "poor" in Uganda is what the natives would refer to as a way of life. This doesn't mean that I'd ever personally be ok w/ being homeless and poor, I'd never be happy that way, it's more than just a lack of money that's working against you. Money helps, and can be "good", but its not what makes life what it is, it's people that make life what it is and what those indivduals find hapiness in... so as long as your focus isn't on money then you will easily gain more fulfillment out of life. I've always told everyone around me this, "I don't have to be the richest man on earth, but a nice house, a job that's not work, a comftarble living, and a damm good car is all I need. After that I swear you'll never hear another peep out of me."
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2005, 02:04 AM   #13
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Holy crap! I made a grammar error! Someone shoot me now.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2005, 02:05 AM   #14
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:

true true. My friends are always saying that I have everything. Yet Im not really happy. I guess to me I dont really care much for materialistic things...
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2005, 02:18 AM   #15
canucklion
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I never agreed to that. I totally understood what you were saying but I focused more on making my own points(selfish i know). There are differing levels of poverty. Being homeless in America is a tragedy, while being "poor" in Uganda is what the natives would refer to as a way of life. This doesn't mean that I'd ever personally be ok w/ being homeless and poor, I'd never be happy that way, it's more than just a lack of money that's working against you. Money helps, and can be "good", but its not what makes life what it is, it's people that make life what it is and what those indivduals find hapiness in... so as long as your focus isn't on money then you will easily gain more fulfillment out of life. I've always told everyone around me this, "I don't have to be the richest man on earth, but a nice house, a job that's not work, a comftarble living, and a damm good car is all I need. After that I swear you'll never hear another peep out of me."
haha, I'm sure we're on the same side of the argument man, all I was trying to point out is that money can help, but as I've said, family/friends are something that you can't obtain just by having more money.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2005, 02:21 AM   #16
canucklion
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Holy crap! I made a grammar error! Someone shoot me now.
relax, I think you're fine haha, I edited your quote in my last post
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2005, 02:22 AM   #17
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
relax, I think you're fine haha, I edited your quote in my last post
Excellent.