03-11-2019, 01:22 PM   #23
Charles549
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi8tir View Post
Polarized sunglasses, perhaps?
Yes sir, polarized sunglasses. The first year that happened I though OK they screwed up, they'll fix it next model. No cigar. It was that way for a long time.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 01:36 PM   #24
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles549 View Post
Yes sir, polarized sunglasses. The first year that happened I though OK they screwed up, they'll fix it next model. No cigar. It was that way for a long time.
BMW has some great engineering but highly doubt they can change the physics of light reflection and polarization of lenses. You can't wear polarize lenses and expect many HUDs/Info Screens to perform as normal.
Appreciate 3
Wild Blue3683.50
kleo12.00
Nick M.39.00
      03-11-2019, 04:39 PM   #25
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
BMW has some great engineering but highly doubt they can change the physics of light reflection and polarization of lenses. You can't wear polarize lenses and expect many HUDs/Info Screens to perform as normal.
This is true. As vehicles get more and more advanced, this will get even more prevalent. As a pilot, I am prohibited from wearing polarized shades, as it may interfere with my ability to read the instruments and control the airplane.

Unless you have a severe medical condition, such as a uncontrollable aversion to sunlight, I highly recommend using non-polarized shades. They can do almost the same job.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 05:09 PM   #26
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
This is true. As vehicles get more and more advanced, this will get even more prevalent. As a pilot, I am prohibited from wearing polarized shades, as it may interfere with my ability to read the instruments and control the airplane.

Unless you have a severe medical condition, such as a uncontrollable aversion to sunlight, I highly recommend using non-polarized shades. They can do almost the same job.
You are correct. This is nothing new with polarized lenses. It’s very common for most displays used for public use like ATM, Gas pumps, etc.. that require you to remove your polarized glasses. I have a prescription pair of wraparound shades that are polarized and they reduce the BMW HUD display brightness by about 60%. In an still make out the info enough and the display is not as crisp.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 05:30 PM   #27
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Polarized lenses only block light from LCD panels at a certain angle. You can see this by putting your lens up to an LCD panel and rotating it. At a certain angle, the display will completely black out, while at other angles it will be visible but just dimmed due to tinting of the lens. This means that designers need only orient the LCD panel in a certain direction so that it is not at that critical angle to the typical orientation of a driver's sunglasses. BMW should have fixed this after the first mistake.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 08:02 PM   #28
mnx5er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 3.5i

Can’t be fixed from what I’ve read. Has to do with how the light needs to be shifted on the windshield. You can fix a direct view LED but not a reflected one on glass. There is a detailed explanation out the somewhere. Bummer since I like my polarized glasses.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 11:43 PM   #29
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_CC View Post
Polarized lenses only block light from LCD panels at a certain angle. You can see this by putting your lens up to an LCD panel and rotating it. At a certain angle, the display will completely black out, while at other angles it will be visible but just dimmed due to tinting of the lens. This means that designers need only orient the LCD panel in a certain direction so that it is not at that critical angle to the typical orientation of a driver's sunglasses. BMW should have fixed this after the first mistake.
Blaming BMW for the fact that HUD cannot be seen as well with polorized glasses? I think it's a light science thing, not a BMW thing.

I have HUD since 2013. 10 second search on Google led me to buy non-polorized sunglasses. Problem solved.
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3683.50
      03-11-2019, 11:48 PM   #30
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post

Blaming BMW for the fact that HUD cannot be seen as well with polorized glasses? I think it's a light science thing, not a BMW thing.

I have HUD since 2013. 10 second search on Google led me to buy non-polorized sunglasses. Problem solved.
OP was talking about radio, not HUD.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 12:12 AM   #31
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_CC View Post
OP was talking about radio, not HUD.
It's a related issue and certainly not BMW's fault in my view. I found this interesting short article from Road & Track describing the problem and then recommending Randolph sunglasses.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...aring-problem/

Edit: I just found these on Amazon. The reviews are outstanding. They are the real deal with actual glass lenses. Want to be a fighter pilot? Buy these glasses! At $219, I've got to think about it because I'm forever losing my sunglasses. Several cheap pairs are better for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Randolph-Avia...ustomerReviews

Last edited by sygazelle; 03-12-2019 at 12:28 AM..
Appreciate 1
X5_CC288.50
      03-12-2019, 01:38 PM   #32
eskayo
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
You are correct. This is nothing new with polarized lenses. It’s very common for most displays used for public use like ATM, Gas pumps, etc.. that require you to remove your polarized glasses. I have a prescription pair of wraparound shades that are polarized and they reduce the BMW HUD display brightness by about 60%. In an still make out the info enough and the display is not as crisp.
Have you tried rotating the HUD?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 02:22 PM   #33
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deda View Post
I think this is trolling...please post pics of your Bmw and Merc..i can not belive you a word.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 05:54 PM   #34
fgoody
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

That lane assist needs to be fixed, I have 1,200 miles on the car and yesterday I experienced this for the first time, the lane assisted came out of out of nowhere when I was exiting off the freeway almost caused a scary accident. I also own a Tesla and other newer vehicles with similar technology, but the software on the X5 is poor at best. The lane assist needs to be much more gentle in the "assistance", when you going 50+ mph you cant jerk the steering wheel that aggressively, unless the car believes a collision is imminent. Overall the car is phenomenal, don't get me wrong, but the lane assist is not
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 06:16 PM   #35
Doc5513
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgoody View Post
That lane assist needs to be fixed, I have 1,200 miles on the car and yesterday I experienced this for the first time, the lane assisted came out of out of nowhere when I was exiting off the freeway almost caused a scary accident. I also own a Tesla and other newer vehicles with similar technology, but the software on the X5 is poor at best. The lane assist needs to be much more gentle in the "assistance", when you going 50+ mph you cant jerk the steering wheel that aggressively, unless the car believes a collision is imminent. Overall the car is phenomenal, don't get me wrong, but the lane assist is not
Did you use your turn signal as you exited ? One reason I turned off lane assist is because I often travel on roads with no one around and I don't need to use a turn signal. In those case the car pulls you back and that's not cool.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 07:01 PM   #36
Charles549
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4guy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deda View Post
I think this is trolling...please post pics of your Bmw and Merc..i can not belive you a word.
I have a communication into Bimmerpost asking them to fix my account because it will not display images uploaded from my PC and I can't see how to do it using the iPad. I may try my Mac and see if that works.

After we get that sorted I will upload images of current vehicles as well as BMWs going back 20 years.

After that I will politely tell you to GFY and say goodby to this forum.
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2019, 07:43 PM   #37
fgoody
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc5513 View Post
Did you use your turn signal as you exited ? One reason I turned off lane assist is because I often travel on roads with no one around and I don't need to use a turn signal. In those case the car pulls you back and that's not cool.
I did not signal, but next time I will.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 08:07 PM   #38
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgoody View Post
What level do you have it set to? I have mine set on medium and have not had a problem with it. Obviously it does try and steer you back into the lane but that is what it is supposed to do. A little pressure the opposite way and it immediately stops.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 08:00 PM   #39
fgoody
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
What level do you have it set to? I have mine set on medium and have not had a problem with it. Obviously it does try and steer you back into the lane but that is what it is supposed to do. A little pressure the opposite way and it immediately stops.
I had it at medium before I lowered it but still keep it on, but on the first 1000 miles I had similar modest "assistance", but clearly I think the software needs some refinement.
Appreciate 1
TurtleBoy13266.00
      03-14-2019, 09:28 AM   #40
Leaving
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F48 M Sport

so why do you keep buying a bmw after another if you dislike them?
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2019, 03:43 PM   #41
ThreeBimm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325 xi

There is a known issue "this car feels unstable sometimes when I'm driving it". The same happens to me and I completely understand. It feels almost like the car is calibrating itself to the road and I'm not 100% in control.

According to my dealership, there is supposed to be a software fix in late March.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 04:22 PM   #42
mnx5er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 3.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBimm View Post
There is a known issue "this car feels unstable sometimes when I'm driving it". The same happens to me and I completely understand. It feels almost like the car is calibrating itself to the road and I'm not 100% in control.

According to my dealership, there is supposed to be a software fix in late March.
It is known in cold weather. Have you seen it in warmer weather?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 01:28 PM   #43
Charles549
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving View Post
so why do you keep buying a bmw after another if you dislike them?
Fair question. My nearly perfect wife has a preference for a BMW, I consider it actually to be an aversion to something new she has to become familiarized with.

I bought BMWs for myself until I bought myself a MB in 1999 and exclusively thereafter with the exception of some sports cars.

I'm sure you've heard the happy wife, happy life wisdom.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 01:35 PM   #44
Charles549
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4guy View Post
The 1995 BMW 530 was the last BMW I bought for myself. First year they went to throttle by wire. The system sucked, throttle pedal did not operate smoothly, had it replaced, still sucked. Never got better.

The 2-16 Jag is the third car in garage and it's replacement is imminent.

And I do indeed have a MB 2018 S450V. Didn't bother to get it out of the garage. This car is amazing.

And, there's the wife's new 2019 BMW X5 50i. I'll stand by for a friendly apology from the guys calling me a troll.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
sygazelle11413.50
jasrboyd123.50