BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-01-2021, 10:08 PM   #1
Rollingeggroll
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Never seen auto stop start activate

I have had my 2020 X5 for nearly a year now and in all this time I have never seen the auto start stop active. On the instrument cluster I see it with a diagonal line through it and in all the various driving conditions I have been in I have never once seen it actually stop and then start the engine.

There have been so many instances with the engine up to temperature, stopped at a light, foot firmly braking, AC or heat not even running, yet it never triggers. And yes I don't have sport mode on and no I didn't manually disable auto start stop.

I know a lot of people would prefer it this way and I probably do too, but at the same time I hope this isn't because of some problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 02:37 AM   #2
IftiBashir
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

I have the same - it used to work all the time last year summer, and then all winter it hasn't worked.
Last month we had some hot weather and it started working again, leading me to assume the general ambient temperature is also a factor??
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 02:45 AM   #3
Dogmatick
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 40D 2021

To me that would indicate that it is faulty and is in need of repair
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 06:23 AM   #4
Russ103
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatick View Post
To me that would indicate that it is faulty and is in need of repair
Except that the result of this being "faulty" is a welcomed thing. ASS is the worst feature on a new car, thanks to practically being mandated and shoved down our throats.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 06:54 AM   #5
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ103 View Post
Except that the result of this being "faulty" is a welcomed thing. ASS is the worst feature on a new car, thanks to practically being mandated and shoved down our throats.
I disagree.
ASS can reduce fuel consumption by a significant amount for most users. I absolutely don't mind the money saved. Of course, it may not work in specific situations like extreme weather.

It works seamlessly and very well for me, and I see no reason to disable it.
Appreciate 1
thereef5101165.00
      07-02-2021, 08:35 AM   #6
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingeggroll View Post
I have had my 2020 X5 for nearly a year now and in all this time I have never seen the auto start stop active. On the instrument cluster I see it with a diagonal line through it and in all the various driving conditions I have been in I have never once seen it actually stop and then start the engine.

There have been so many instances with the engine up to temperature, stopped at a light, foot firmly braking, AC or heat not even running, yet it never triggers. And yes I don't have sport mode on and no I didn't manually disable auto start stop.
I assume you are using the "auto-hold" brake feature. If so, then try this: When you feel the engine/cabin has been sufficiently warmed up and feel that ASS should normally work, you can manually engage the ASS feature by coming to a full stop with auto-hold active, then depressing the brake pedal all the way to the floor for a second or two. On many a time, that stopped the engine for me even when there was initially the line crossing out the 'auto start/stop' icon in the dashboard.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 08:43 AM   #7
10101X5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 10101X101

I'm getting used to ASS but when it starts again, it almost feels like someone bumps your ASS. The reason is to save fuel but not that much. IMO, it should be optional.
Maybe this will help explain better when and why.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 02:55 PM   #8
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Vader

Garage List
I’m having the same problem, putting it down to a main battery issue. Noticed the car wouldn’t install the OTA update, so stuck it on the battery charger overnight. Next day drove the car and stop/start worked perfectly, as did the OTA update install. Few days later, stop start ceased to work again. Have your battery checked out. Got mine booked in for a check on its next service.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 06:24 PM   #9
Russ103
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
Quote:
I disagree.
ASS can reduce fuel consumption by a significant amount for most users. I absolutely don't mind the money saved. Of course, it may not work in specific situations like extreme weather.

It works seamlessly and very well for me, and I see no reason to disable it.
To each their own I suppose. With a twin turbo V8, gas mileage is the last thing I care about.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 10:18 AM   #10
Dogmatick
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 40D 2021

Quote:
A fault is a fault and will affect the resale, in the UK it has the potential to affect the emissions as the reason for ASS is to comply with them not to piss off their owners
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 11:53 AM   #11
Russ103
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatick View Post

A fault is a fault and will affect the resale, in the UK it has the potential to affect the emissions as the reason for ASS is to comply with them not to piss off their owners
Except that pissing off the majority of the owners is the result.
Appreciate 0