BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-24-2021, 02:18 AM   #1
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

How to FDL code Assisted Driving View - simple walkthrough

This guide demonstrates how to FDL code Assisted Driving View (ADV) using EsysX. It is an update of a guide I originally posted back in 2019.

The process can be repeated for any FDL coding, not just ADV, and the coding should work for any of the supported S18A models (Service Pack 2018)

Pre-reqs
  1. Windows PC - I use Windows 10 x64 VM on macOS VMware Fusion
  2. OBD-II to Ethernet cable
  3. E-Sys 3.27.1 or later. I use 3.36.2
  4. EsysX latest version. I cannot advise use of Launcher Pro 3.7 or earlier due to misconfigured and missing mappings with newer I-step
  5. psdzdata - currently at 03/2021.57. You need a version that is at least the same or newer than your car's i-step version
  6. You must have a vehicle with 5AU - Drive Assist Professional

Coding Steps for Assisted Driving View
  1. Connect OBD2 cable to car
  2. Start E-sys via EsysX
  3. Enter Diagnostic Mode (3 quick presses of the ignition button). Diag mode is preferred, but you need to be aware of your battery health and level of charge. Ideally connect a battery charger or voltage regulator.
  4. Plug OBD2 cable into Ethernet Port and wait 1 minute
  5. Switch to Expert Mode-Coding in E-sys
  6. Click on the Connect Icon
  7. Target Selector: - choose the i-step that most closely matches your car version e.g. S18A_21_03_557. Under Interface, select 'Connection by VIN' If your VIN is not listed you have an issue. Usually wait longer, or check the PC network card is set to use TCP/IP 4 DHCP (not static), or cable not working, etc. Do not select *_DIRECT
  8. Hit Connect button
  9. Under 'Vehicle Order' click on Read
  10. Under 'SVT Actual', click on Read (ECU)
    If it's the first time you have coded, right-click on ECU under the SVT tree and choose 'Read Coding Data'. Use Windows File Explorer to backup your CAF directory which by default is C:\Data\CAF. Also save your FA and SVT
  11. Scroll Down until you find DKOMBI. Right-click and choose 'Read Coding Data' if not already done in step above.
  12. Expand the yellow CAFD_00004508_* folder, select and right-click on the CAFD_00004508_* and choose Edit NCD
  13. In the FDL editor search for and set as many of the following codes as you have available:
    CB_FZG_UMGEBUNG_FAS: aktiv
    CB_PRESELECT_NAVI_ANSICHT_FZG_UMGEBUNG: aktiv
    PIA_FZG_UMGEBUNG_FAS: aktiv
    SICHT_ABSICHT_ENABLE: aktiv
  14. Click on Save icon then hit the Back icon
  15. Back in SVT and with the CAFD_4508_* still selected, click on 'Code NCD'. Be careful not to click on the 'Code’ button. This isn't the end of the world but your coding changes wont be applied as it resets the module back to the car's factory default i.e. the state it was in before you started coding
    Never click on 'Code Default Values'!!! This restores it back to bare metal configuration i.e. before your car got configured to your spec in the factory
  16. Check the report - you may get 'Finished with warnings' which is OK, but check that the final report is green and a success. Red is a fail.
  17. Hit the Disconnect icon and disconnect the cable
  18. Done!! Go into i-drive Car-Settings-Driver Assistance-Driving and marvel at your new Assisted Drive View checkbox. You can also set it to permanently on via the Display settings area.
Appreciate 8
      06-05-2021, 04:47 PM   #2
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
@IFR,

Sorry to go off topic.

Pretty sure I recall reading a post of yours in which you provided a coding fix to the bug that has cropped up in OTA updates that causes tachometer not to be displayed in HUD, when in sport only mode.

Perhaps it's senility, but I can't locate it

Would you be kind enough to provide that coding fix

BTW, your fix to the auto camera fix continues to work well through 03/2021

Thanks

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 05:23 PM   #3
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnic View Post
@IFR,

Sorry to go off topic.

Pretty sure I recall reading a post of yours in which you provided a coding fix to the bug that has cropped up in OTA updates that causes tachometer not to be displayed in HUD, when in sport only mode.

Perhaps it's senility, but I can't locate it

Would you be kind enough to provide that coding fix

BTW, your fix to the auto camera fix continues to work well through 03/2021

Thanks
Good to hear it still works with latest istep.

I was starting to doubt myself on the tachometer coding, but finally found it: https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=27340727
Appreciate 2
marcosg24.50
RSnic657.50
      06-06-2021, 02:05 AM   #4
ring0r
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Thank you @ifr

Do you know if it is possible to code "ADV" permanently via VO coding?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 04:26 AM   #5
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ring0r View Post
Thank you @ifr

Not specifically for ADV, but you could update your FA build version (in esys only, DONT save it to the car) to 07/2019 or later, and VO Code just DKOMBI.

It's critical you don't save the FA back to the car AND only VO code DKOMBI. You could change the build date to match your i-step e.g. 03/2021, and get the latest KOMBI configuration.

Don't do this approach for any other ECU. Too much risk of hardware changes, but KOMBI is fairly safe, but still not without risk of unsupported hardware

You would need to repeat the process after any i-step update (dealer/OTA) that programs DKOMBI
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 05:16 PM   #6
Bambazonke
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 & 2020 X5

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ring0r View Post
Thank you @ifr

Not specifically for ADV, but you could update your FA build version (in esys only, DONT save it to the car) to 07/2019 or later, and VO Code just DKOMBI.

It's critical you don't save the FA back to the car AND only VO code DKOMBI. You could change the build date to match your i-step e.g. 03/2021, and get the latest KOMBI configuration.

Don't do this approach for any other ECU. Too much risk of hardware changes, but KOMBI is fairly safe, but still not without risk of unsupported hardware

You would need to repeat the process after any i-step update (dealer/OTA) that programs DKOMBI

Update:
Ok I can confirm in addition to ADV as discussed above an Australian spec X5 with a build level of 07/19 does get the "auto" option in Additional displays in the HUD if the FA is temporarily modified to build level to 03/21 after VO coding the Kombi4 ECU only with an iStep Level of 03/2021 or later

This is a "free" alternative to those that don't have Bimmercode or ESysX software to FDL code the below that IFR kindly listed sometime ago

CB_HUD_FAS: nicht_aktiv [00]
CB_HUD_LIST_AUS: aktiv [01]
CB_HUD_LIST_AUTOMATISCH: aktiv [01]
CB_HUD_LIST_FAS_PERMANENT: aktiv [01]
CB_HUD_LIST_SPORT_AUS: nicht_aktiv [00]
CB_HUD_LIST_SPORT_FES: nicht_aktiv [00]

I have Launcher Pro which IFR advised users to avoid as it is out of date and missing some of the parameters above to change to make it work anyway. EsysX as far as I am aware, is still not available for purchase
Attached Images

Last edited by Bambazonke; 11-16-2021 at 06:34 PM..
Appreciate 0