BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-16-2011, 04:50 PM   #1
trf417
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M

Stealing an M3 ?? ...

I posted this in the Canadian forum, but hindsight, I should have posted this in the General forum. What do you guys think?

Maybe in a few years, it might be possible or required to install firewalls, intrusion detection/prevention systems and antivirus on our M3s just to protect ourselves from thieves...I can think of the infinite reasons why somebody would compromise the BMW car computer systems...

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=624456
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 05:20 PM   #2
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trf417 View Post
I posted this in the Canadian forum, but hindsight, I should have posted this in the General forum. What do you guys think?

Maybe in a few years, it might be possible or required to install firewalls, intrusion detection/prevention systems and antivirus on our M3s just to protect ourselves from thieves...I can think of the infinite reasons why somebody would compromise the BMW car computer systems...

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=624456
maybe summarize. 29 minutes is way to long to listen to that dry computer yak
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 05:40 PM   #3
robb7979
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
+1. Thank you for keeping me from clicking. 29 mins?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 05:40 PM   #4
trf417
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
All the wonderful technologies in your new M3, ie hands-free bluetooth, TPMS, BMW assist, keyless entry, OBD2, Satellite Radio, etc, are avenues for hackers to get into your car computer system...once somebody gains access to your car computer system, they can control almost everything...shutoff your brakes, unlock your cars, start your car, shut off your anti-theft measures, etc

Car manufacturers are aware of this issue, but have not devoted adequate resources in fixing the problem yet....

In summary, if you see a nice looking M3, stealing that car could be trivial...
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 06:53 PM   #5
DBH
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92

Gee, am I glad I don't have any of that stuff!! I only drive my M3 - it's not an entertainment center.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 08:22 PM   #6
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

not sure if troll...

any car if wanted can be stolen.

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 08:24 PM   #7
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Its relatively simple to steal an M3 - it is the third most stolen 'prestige' car in the UK.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...s.html?image=2

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546693
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 12:03 AM   #8
trf417
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sikbmr View Post
not sure if troll...

any car if wanted can be stolen.
True...but you are not thinking outside the box. Stealing the car is one thing, hacking into the car's computer system to kill the brakes, activate the cruise control to speed up the car, shuts off the engine while the car is running, open the sunroof, crank up the heating system (or cooling system), shuts off the lights or simply delete a portion of the code and forces the M3 owner (with no warranty) to fork out $$ to fix whatever system...the possibilities are limitless
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 12:32 AM   #9
Superfly_M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robb7979 View Post
+1. Thank you for keeping me from clicking. 29 mins?
Really?

How about we chew your food for you, then digest it, and shit it out, and give you the vitamins and minerals you need. Watch the movie !!!

To the OP:
Nice post, makes you wonder of the capabilities.
The thing that gets me the most is that our cars (OBD II - OBD III) are pioneers in this technology. Thinking 10 - 20 years ahead, perhaps there will be firewalls, and anti-virus programs in the cars to prevent "attacks". Unfortunately, unless BMW updates the ECU with these algorithms, we (E9x owners) will probably be the most vulnarable in the industry. Almost like an old computer with no firewall can be hacked in no time with today's technology.

Nice post, I enjoyed watching it, and it does make you wonder.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 12:39 AM   #10
Superfly_M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss134 View Post
Its relatively simple to steal an M3 - it is the third most stolen 'prestige' car in the UK.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...s.html?image=2

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546693
Thats because you Brits don't have many of the muscle car V8's there. Its all diesels and small CC. J/K. its a shame, these are nice cars.

I bet they are targeted and sent packing to a third world country in which the registration laws can be bent.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 01:34 AM   #11
Titanium Silver
Four Star General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Statefarm... Geico... Allstate... They can worry about all that nonsense. That's why we pay them crazy money.

E92 M3 | Jet Black | All OEM Everything
E30 M3 | Alpine White | Mostly OEM
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 03:11 AM   #12
robb7979
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly_M3 View Post
Really?

How about we chew your food for you, then digest it, and shit it out, and give you the vitamins and minerals you need. Watch the movie !!!

To the OP:
Nice post, makes you wonder of the capabilities.
The thing that gets me the most is that our cars (OBD II - OBD III) are pioneers in this technology. Thinking 10 - 20 years ahead, perhaps there will be firewalls, and anti-virus programs in the cars to prevent "attacks". Unfortunately, unless BMW updates the ECU with these algorithms, we (E9x owners) will probably be the most vulnarable in the industry. Almost like an old computer with no firewall can be hacked in no time with today's technology.

Nice post, I enjoyed watching it, and it does make you wonder.
Really? That would be nice, although I'm not sure I'd like shitted vitamins and minerals. I'm glad you liked the video. I thanked someone for warning me that it was 29 minutes long, and you compare it to having someone eat my food for me? No, I won't watch a 29 minute film for 5 minutes worth of information. As stated, if someone wants the car, they will just steal it.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 10:19 AM   #13
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Man this is the 21st century ... cars have been stolen in the past and will be stolen in the future ...

Get the right insurance coverage and enjoy driving your car ...

Don't worry be Happy .... okay

BTW I did Not open your link, for I am very careful about infecting my computer(s) with a virus

As for the hacking part of the software .... my 1987 has a on board computer, I do my own maintenance and inspection when the car is due to do it ... I've purchased a special key to turn all the lights back to green. I am certain someone will come up with a BMW computer software application that turns every thing on and off to your needs ... so as I said "Don't worry be Happy" and enjoy your car!

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 12-17-2011 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: added .... "As for the hacking etc ... etc ....
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 10:25 AM   #14
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Quote:
True...but you are not thinking outside the box. Stealing the car is one thing, hacking into the car's computer system to kill the brakes, activate the cruise control to speed up the car, shuts off the engine while the car is running, open the sunroof, crank up the heating system (or cooling system), shuts off the lights or simply delete a portion of the code and forces the M3 owner (with no warranty) to fork out $$ to fix whatever system...the possibilities are limitless
okay you got me there. seems plausible for someone to do this to make money off you. Example dealer hacks into system and fucks with your car when your out of warranty so you have to bring it in and pay $$$$$ to fix it.

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 12:29 PM   #15
trf417
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
Man this is the 21st century ... cars have been stolen in the past and will be stolen in the future ...

Get the right insurance coverage and enjoy driving your car ...

Don't worry be Happy .... okay

BTW I did Not open your link, for I am very careful about infecting my computer(s) with a virus

As for the hacking part of the software .... my 1987 has a on board computer, I do my own maintenance and inspection when the car is due to do it ... I've purchased a special key to turn all the lights back to green. I am certain someone will come up with a BMW computer software application that turns every thing on and off to your needs ... so as I said "Don't worry be Happy" and enjoy your car!
Guys, it isn't all about stealing a car anymore...imagine what you could do with these exploits. Think outside the box, you drive your M3, cut a really smart computer geek off, computer geek follows you, and then uses his/her computer to cut off your brakes...yeah, you'll have insurance to cover those damages, but in the end, you'll be paying more...and if you fix those damages, computer geek knows where you are because of the convenient GPS system in your car, does it again, ie cuts off your brakes...you fill insurance claim, your premium goes up, you pay more again...cycle can repeat itself until you cannot possibly pay anymore

By the way, you don't need to open a link to get a virus, as long as your computer is connected to Internet (which it is now), you run the risk of infecting your computer
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 06:38 AM   #16
scott_uw
Teatime
Rep
Drives: Toronto

I agree with the sentiment of the people asking questions at 26m and 28m30s in the video. It is much more enticing to hack x86/windows/IOS than PPC/OSX/BBOS because of the numbers involved. The only method of attack I think is viable is through BMW assist but then you need to have the ability to call the car which wasn't discussed in the video.

The guy talking at times was far too vague to be convincing
ie. Took over the cd drive and "thus every component in the car"
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 07:01 AM   #17
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
At a recent Black Hat conference, hackers proved they could brake into Subaru Outback just by texting on a cell phone.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/05/h...k-via-texting/

Now, I didn't watch the above video, but I know what they are talking about. Hopefully car security will get a huge push after this recent discovery. I should also mention for those who don't know, the Black Hat conferences I referenced is put together for hackers to demonstrate new vulnerabilities in technology so they can be made more secure.

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0