11-18-2023, 04:20 PM   #1
007bandido
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 30D M

Trailer outlet plugged

Hello,

When you plug the outlet in the trailer, a lot of automatisms are disengaged. That is normal for trailers of course, rear radars are useless but the automatic pilot is gone.

Sometimes in winter, I use the towbar with the bike rack to carry my skies. Then, I don't plug the outlet.

It is possible to code the trailer NCD to avoid to disconnect automatisms with outlet plugged and maintain rear lights operationnal?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 02:01 PM   #2
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

I don't know, but it would be interesting if BMW were to add a towing mode modification that could detect (or you select, less liability) whether it's a simple bike rack, or an actual trailer, and modify how it reacts. You don't really need to lose as many automated systems with a bike rack versus a real trailer back there.

My take on this...if they were ever to do it, when something is plugged in, switch to trailer/caravan towing mode, but offer the option of bike rack to customize operations.

Many on this forum are from the USA, and the use of a light bar for a bike rack is a foreign concept to them, regardless of the safety impacts, so it will be interesting to see what responses you may get.
Appreciate 0