BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-09-2021, 12:59 PM   #1
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 | '20 X5 | '07 E92

Seatbelts don't stay locked for car seat

Hey guys, strange issue I'm having with my 2020 X5. I went to install a new carseat into the middle back seat. When I pull the seat belt all the way out, it makes the ratchet noise like it's going to lock. But if you wiggle it side to side after it's locked, it comes unlocked and will slip. This seems like a major safety thing. I only noticed because I installed the carseat, locked everything down, and then wiggled the seat back and forth and the belt lock popped loose. I checked the other belts and the driver back and middle were the only ones affected. Am I going crazy or should I give the dealer a call? Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 02:11 PM   #2
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: the speed limit

Found this in the owner's manual, but sounds like you're already doing that.

Weird that it's doing that, but maybe you can use the latch system for now? I'm sure you know, but it's not recommended to use the latch system for the middle seats, only the outer seats.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 02:15 PM   #3
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e 2020

The middle seatbelt (and socket) has a different shape compared to the two windows belts/sockets. Are you sure you are using the middle belt with the middle socket?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2021, 01:11 PM   #4
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikheetleon View Post
The middle seatbelt (and socket) has a different shape compared to the two windows belts/sockets. Are you sure you are using the middle belt with the middle socket?
Yeah no issue with the buckle itself. It's the locking mechanism. When you pull the seatbelt all the way out, it usually ratchets and locks. Two of mine don't lock consistently. I'll take a video of it today.

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2021, 01:13 PM   #5
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosely View Post
Quote:
Yeah no issue with the buckle itself. It's the locking mechanism. When you pull the seatbelt all the way out, it usually ratchets and locks. Two of mine don't lock consistently. I'll take a video of it today.
Ok, so that sounds like a serious safety issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2021, 01:34 PM   #6
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

No need to fool around with it, take it to the dealer and let them handle it. It is a safety item that you don't need to wonder if it will work correctly.
      07-11-2021, 11:43 AM   #7
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ok, so that sounds like a serious safety issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
No need to fool around with it, take it to the dealer and let them handle it. It is a safety item that you don't need to wonder if it will work correctly.
Made an appointment, will let you guys know what they say. I was posting this as a PSA to others who use carseats to check yours as well. Would hate for something to happen.

Appreciate 3
VTENGR1052.50
bandersen588.50
      07-11-2021, 12:36 PM   #8
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
i have two Britax booster seats installed in the rear passenger and rear driver seats that attach using the LATCH system. the shoulder belts secure each child in traditional fashion. both seat belts lock upon giving them a quick, forceful tug, and no issues with clips coming out of the belt buckles either when forcefully pulled. I've not tested the rear middle seat belt as it's never been used since taking ownership 7 months ago (I know, not an excuse…)
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 09:26 PM   #9
Hi
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I've secured a Nuna Rava in the middle seat with the belt. It definitely locks on a 2019MY. Keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 11:30 PM   #10
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosely View Post
Hey guys, strange issue I'm having with my 2020 X5. I went to install a new carseat into the middle back seat. When I pull the seat belt all the way out, it makes the ratchet noise like it's going to lock. But if you wiggle it side to side after it's locked, it comes unlocked and will slip. This seems like a major safety thing. I only noticed because I installed the carseat, locked everything down, and then wiggled the seat back and forth and the belt lock popped loose. I checked the other belts and the driver back and middle were the only ones affected. Am I going crazy or should I give the dealer a call? Thanks!
First off, did you read the manual on the car seat AND the car for installing the car seat correctly? This is not a knock on you, but too many people think they know how to install a car seat, but for each car and car seat it is different. What model car seat? Front facing or rear facing? No joke read the instructions for both to ensure that the car seat is being installed correctly. I don't have any car seats in my middle seats, but sometimes you have to use a lock-off depending on the type of retractor or seat.

Modern cars have two types of seat belt retractors. An Automatic Locking Retractor (ALR) and Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR), same vehicle can have these mixed throughout the car. When you are slowly retracting the belt you should not hear a clicking noise in an ELR. Most lap/shoulder belts are ELRs but its not a rule and I believe that the middle seat in the X5 is an ELR. The ELR was designed to allow the seat belt webbing to move freely once the seat belt is in place, but locking the webbing instantly in the event of a crash. ELRs lock according to 2 principles, the sensitivity to the webbing withdrawal rate or the sensitivity to vehicle deceleration. Most ELRs since the mid-90s have switchable retractors, meaning you can get it to switch to a mode where it locks all the time; this may require you to pull out all the webbing and then let it retract slowly until you hear the clicking or this may need you to pull out all the webbing then let is slowly retract and give it a strong forcefully jerk. Try doing this before installing the car seat and see if the seat belt locks. Would love to see your uploaded video on this.
      07-12-2021, 11:47 AM   #11
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqgambler View Post
First off, did you read the manual on the car seat AND the car for installing the car seat correctly? This is not a knock on you, but too many people think they know how to install a car seat, but for each car and car seat it is different. What model car seat? Front facing or rear facing? No joke read the instructions for both to ensure that the car seat is being installed correctly. I don't have any car seats in my middle seats, but sometimes you have to use a lock-off depending on the type of retractor or seat.

Modern cars have two types of seat belt retractors. An Automatic Locking Retractor (ALR) and Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR), same vehicle can have these mixed throughout the car. When you are slowly retracting the belt you should not hear a clicking noise in an ELR. Most lap/shoulder belts are ELRs but its not a rule and I believe that the middle seat in the X5 is an ELR. The ELR was designed to allow the seat belt webbing to move freely once the seat belt is in place, but locking the webbing instantly in the event of a crash. ELRs lock according to 2 principles, the sensitivity to the webbing withdrawal rate or the sensitivity to vehicle deceleration. Most ELRs since the mid-90s have switchable retractors, meaning you can get it to switch to a mode where it locks all the time; this may require you to pull out all the webbing and then let it retract slowly until you hear the clicking or this may need you to pull out all the webbing then let is slowly retract and give it a strong forcefully jerk. Try doing this before installing the car seat and see if the seat belt locks. Would love to see your uploaded video on this.
Yessir, manuals for the car seat (Nuna Rava, currently rear facing) say they prefer belt installation over latch. The instructions say to install only on a locking belt. They say pull the belt all the way out until it ratchets and then you can lock the car seat in place. I think we've all ridden in a hundred cars since we were kids where we've pulled out the belt all the way and then it locks until you let it fully retract again. These belts ratchet like they are going to be fully locked but then its like the locking mechanism is able to slip. Car only has ~2500 miles and rarely rear seat passengers so its strange. Video coming today!

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 11:51 AM   #12
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

definitely call the dealership. I've had car seats 3 across in my X5 and were able to tension all the belts. There's obviously an issue with yours.
Appreciate 0