Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Minor rim damage can cause shaking over 70mph?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

09-26-2011, 06:09 PM   #1
samsamwu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

Minor rim damage can cause shaking over 70mph?

My car shakes when I am going over 70mph, my tire guy tells me that one of my front rims is bent, its so minor it can hardly be seen when the wheel is spinning on the balance machine. Definitely cant be seen when the rim is still.
Can such a minor bend cause significant shaking?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 07:11 PM   #2
bstockbhappy
Rep
Drives: 2008 bmw 335i sedan

Could also be a balancing issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 07:36 PM   #3
NickP2
Rep
Drives: 1987 330is

Are your tires the same size front and rear? try having them rebalanced and moved to the rear - it should help.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 08:33 PM   #4
ibo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 BSM 335xi e90 LCI M-Sport

Last week, I brought my car to where I purchased my tires for them to rebalance (tire lifetime free balancing) due to a mild vibration of my steering wheel just like yours, above 70 mph. They hoisted my car up and pointed out a very VERY slight bend in the inside of the barrel. I wasn't even sure if it was bent at first, but they spun the wheel and the difference was more apparent that way. You could clearly see a small bulge if you keep your eyes focused on a section of the rim while it is spinning at speed. I thought heck, just gonna get them repaired before they get further damage, and voila...no more vibrations.

For what it's worth, my vibrations where very slight...just enough to annoy me a little.
COBB Stage 2+ | Alpina B3 TCU Flash | ER FMIC & CP | Tial Q | Injen CAI | VRSF DP | BMS OCC | KW V3 | M3 Rear SFB / Sway Bar / Susp Bits / Strut Brace | Megan Racing Toe Arms | HPA Swaybar Endlinks | Apex EC-7 | Michelin PSS | MH 75mm Stud Conv | OEM Perf Grills and Diffuser | Exotics Tuning Front Lip | LUX H8 | Luminics Krypton JDM Yellow | LLumar 35%
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 10:40 AM   #5
samsamwu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibo View Post
Last week, I brought my car to where I purchased my tires for them to rebalance (tire lifetime free balancing) due to a mild vibration of my steering wheel just like yours, above 70 mph. They hoisted my car up and pointed out a very VERY slight bend in the inside of the barrel. I wasn't even sure if it was bent at first, but they spun the wheel and the difference was more apparent that way. You could clearly see a small bulge if you keep your eyes focused on a section of the rim while it is spinning at speed. I thought heck, just gonna get them repaired before they get further damage, and voila...no more vibrations.

For what it's worth, my vibrations where very slight...just enough to annoy me a little.
I did this exact thing too, but i really couldnt even see the imperfection, but the tire tech said he could see it, he rebalanced it anyways, but the shakes are still there
I have read that some wheel repair guys say minor bends wont cause any issues, but if they do it will shake at all speeds
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 11:18 AM   #6
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsamwu View Post
My car shakes when I am going over 70mph, my tire guy tells me that one of my front rims is bent, its so minor it can hardly be seen when the wheel is spinning on the balance machine. Definitely cant be seen when the rim is still.
Can such a minor bend cause significant shaking?
Yes, even the smallest of a bend will make a different at those kinds of speeds. Depending on how minor it is, you may be able to get away with it by balancing it out.

-Charles@VMRWheels