BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-02-2023, 08:42 AM   #1
floridaman100
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 xDrive40I

Replacing run flats with non run flat tires

I have a 2020 X5 xDrive40i with 275/45R20 Scorpion run flats. I have 10K miles on the car and now the tires need to be replaced. There is a screw in right front tire and they are all over 50% worn. Many tire shops will not repair a run flat. I can replace one tire however due to the wear on other tires, I am told that replacing one tire could cause drivetrain issues.

I hate run flat tires, they don't last, destroy the ride of the car, handle poorly etc. I have never understood why BMW installs run flats especially when you pay over 70K for this vehicle.

I am going to replace all the tires with standard ones and it has been recommended that I get the Michelin Cross Climate 2 tires. There is another option I looked at which is the Bridgestone Alenza AS Ultra.

I am told that once I switch to standard tires there will be a noticeable difference in the way the car handles and rides.

My inclination is to get the Michelin's simply because they do make some of the best tires and the Cross Climate has a tread design that is cool looking.

Trying to get some feedback on what others have done when replacing their tires.

Note, I don't have staggered tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 10:27 AM   #2
quad_drive
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23 X5 45e; 20 Cayenne S; 17 Q7

I replaced my Q7 runflats with Michelin Pilot Sport All seasons last year. The Good Year runflats on the Q7 were awful tires. So, the ride is almost night and day better with the Michelin in every way.

On the BMW, the Pirelli are much better runflats. I had them on the F15 for 8 years. Switching to non-runflats will definitely improve the hard impacts you sometimes feel on the runflats. Non-runflats are quieter for longer tire life. Runflats have tendency to get loud after about 10-12k miles on them.

I would almost always switch them on my car. With that said, my wife drives the X5 mostly, so, it may be an issue with her if she gets a flat. So, I am debating whether to keep runflats on the X5 when time comes.

You will have to have fix-a-flats and portable air pump with you at all times if you were to switch to non-runflats.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 10:59 AM   #3
Medic8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 G80 Sport, 2015 E400 conv

I put NRF on my daughter’s GLC as soon as one needed to be replaced. For me, it was a great investment/decision.

She has a small compressor and that green slime if there is a problem. Also, I can fix a puncture with a kit if need be. She has 60k miles on these tires and we would have replaced the RF tires probably 3x by now.

I don’t regret it at all.

Last edited by Medic8; 04-02-2023 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: Corrected word ‘replaced’
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 11:25 AM   #4
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaman100 View Post
I have a 2020 X5 xDrive40i with 275/45R20 Scorpion run flats. I have 10K miles on the car and now the tires need to be replaced. There is a screw in right front tire and they are all over 50% worn. Many tire shops will not repair a run flat. I can replace one tire however due to the wear on other tires, I am told that replacing one tire could cause drivetrain issues.

I hate run flat tires, they don't last, destroy the ride of the car, handle poorly etc. I have never understood why BMW installs run flats especially when you pay over 70K for this vehicle.

I am going to replace all the tires with standard ones and it has been recommended that I get the Michelin Cross Climate 2 tires. There is another option I looked at which is the Bridgestone Alenza AS Ultra.

I am told that once I switch to standard tires there will be a noticeable difference in the way the car handles and rides.

My inclination is to get the Michelin's simply because they do make some of the best tires and the Cross Climate has a tread design that is cool looking.

Trying to get some feedback on what others have done when replacing their tires.

I replaced my Pirelli P Zero run flats on my former X3 with Continental Extreme Contact non run flat tires and drove them for 40K miles. They were much quieter, smoother and gave better gas mileage than the Pirelli's. I did not have a spare tire in that car nor was there room for one so I loaded up the under floor cargo area with the necessary tire fix it tools and equip incl an air compressor. I did have to repair a flat once and since it was in the tread, it was pretty easy to do.
Now on my X5, I bought a spare and loaded up the rear under floor cargo area with the same tire fix it tools as I had in the X3. I will replace the run flats on my X5 when they wear out with non run flats and will be ready to go. Here is a post you might be interested in reading.. .. https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ght=spare+tire
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 11:28 AM   #5
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

Quote:

I am in the same situation and have the same size runflats in the Pirelli Scorpions. I've done a fair amount of research mostly using TireRack and the reviews they post from customers. Leaning toward the Pirellis Scorpion AS3 or the Verde version. We have the Verdes on my wife's RX and they are performing well. Nice quiet ride and decent handling. Have only driven in light snow but we don't get a lot of snow and what we do get doesn't last long so I am leaning toward a tire with good reviews for ride, treadware and dry/wet handling.

The Michelin CrossClimate gets good reviews but appears be a bit more noisy than the Pirelli but provides better handling on a track test. We don't drive the X5 at its limits so the marginal improvement in handling is not a major factor in our decision.

I would also like to hear from folks who have switched to a nonrunflat. I have a spare tire so switching seems to be the way to go.

COL(Ret), US Army Hagerstown MD
2019 X5 40i MSport Alpine White/Coffee (my 13th BMW)
2015 Mercedes SL400; 2009 Lexus RX350
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 11:31 AM   #6
floridaman100
Private First Class
Rep

Fortunately, I ordered the spare when I got my X5 so the switch to non run flats is a no brainer.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 12:49 PM   #7
rexus300
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

Dont get the cross climate, there are noisy and arent as smooth given the crazy tread patterns. Get the Pilot Sport 4S or the Pilot AS 3 N-spec. I have the latter on my 2022 Mercedes S580 and it has an excellent and smooth ride with long lasting thread. Had the N spec on my previous A8 and it lasted 40k miles. I plan to replace the runflats on our 2024 X5 50e 275/45R20 with these tires.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...XLN0&tab=Specs
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 01:08 PM   #8
Ssteigss
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorin1249 View Post
I am in the same situation and have the same size runflats in the Pirelli Scorpions. I've done a fair amount of research mostly using TireRack and the reviews they post from customers. Leaning toward the Pirellis Scorpion AS3 or the Verde version. We have the Verdes on my wife's RX and they are performing well. Nice quiet ride and decent handling. Have only driven in light snow but we don't get a lot of snow and what we do get doesn't last long so I am leaning toward a tire with good reviews for ride, treadware and dry/wet handling.

The Michelin CrossClimate gets good reviews but appears be a bit more noisy than the Pirelli but provides better handling on a track test. We don't drive the X5 at its limits so the marginal improvement in handling is not a major factor in our decision.

I would also like to hear from folks who have switched to a nonrunflat. I have a spare tire so switching seems to be the way to go.
At 4k miles I did the exact switch on my 22’ X5 with msport adaptive suspension and 20” Pirelli Runflats to the pirelli AS plus 3.
The biggest difference is noise. I didnt find the runflats that noisy but the AS plus 3 is nearly silent on many surfaces. The ride has improved but I would not call it a night and day difference. Hard bumps still transmit to the cabin due to the stiff suspension. Smaller bumps are absorbed better and the car feels smoother overall. I am running lower rear (36psi) then the door sticker(41psi). The 41 is for full load and I never drive full load. Also its not necessary for weight. Its to induce understeer. I dont drive the car that aggressively that I feel a difference. They handle just fine. I dont care if they wear quicker as the car rides better with lower PSI in back. overall I am glad I made the change.
Appreciate 1
rexus300153.50
      04-02-2023, 01:46 PM   #9
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssteigss View Post
At 4k miles I did the exact switch on my 22’ X5 with msport adaptive suspension and 20” Pirelli Runflats to the pirelli AS plus 3.
The biggest difference is noise. I didnt find the runflats that noisy but the AS plus 3 is nearly silent on many surfaces. The ride has improved but I would not call it a night and day difference. Hard bumps still transmit to the cabin due to the stiff suspension. Smaller bumps are absorbed better and the car feels smoother overall. I am running lower rear (36psi) then the door sticker(41psi). The 41 is for full load and I never drive full load. Also its not necessary for weight. Its to induce understeer. I dont drive the car that aggressively that I feel a difference. They handle just fine. I dont care if they wear quicker as the car rides better with lower PSI in back. overall I am glad I made the change.
I run similar psi. I'm leaning toward the Pirellis.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 09:05 AM   #10
10101X5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 10101X101

I like the idea of RF for its safety. But yes, you're right. They really compromise the ride quality. Crossclimate2 or PS 4 are nice tires. IMO if it's at 50% already, just replace them. It will feel like driving a different vehicle with the new non RF tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 10:16 AM   #11
floridaman100
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10101X5 View Post
I like the idea of RF for its safety. But yes, you're right. They really compromise the ride quality. Crossclimate2 or PS 4 are nice tires. IMO if it's at 50% already, just replace them. It will feel like driving a different vehicle with the new non RF tires.
I have been doing a ton of research and it seems that the Cross Climate 2 has a lot of negative feedback especially when it comes to gas mileage. Then you look at other options and they have negative feedback just not as bad as the Cross climates.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2023, 06:17 AM   #12
floridaman100
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks to everyone for all of your feedback.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2023, 08:53 PM   #13
Ninja_H
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

I'm sticking with RFs due to one reason: thick Side walls.

I had this experience once when I couldn't avoid an object on the road and hit right on the front driver side. My car went flying and drinks splashed everywhere. BUT my tire is fine and psi didn't even change a bit.

It was until I pulled over that I realized I just hit a tire with wheel on it. I would got a flat tire if I'm on 21' or 22' nonRF tires. And besides, if my tire went flat, I could still drive it to a tire shop but not wait by the roadside to call for towtruck.
      04-04-2023, 09:51 PM   #14
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

There are places where it is unsafe to stop so you can try to either wait for help or to try to fix the problem...you may not have any of those areas where you normally drive such as a bridge, tunnel, causeway, etc. If one of those is fairly long, it may have a pull-out, emergency stop spot, but in getting there without a RFT, is likely to toast a normal tire, maybe come off the rim, damage the suspension or steering, and probably trash the wheel...IOW, it can get quite expensive, and depending on how fast you were going, dangerous. The thing with an accident is you never really know if or when one might happen. Some RFT are better than others, but their sidewall stiffness is likely to always be with them. At least a couple of companies have demonstrated airless tires and one might make it on a production vehicle in the next couple of model years.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2023, 08:52 PM   #15
floridaman100
Private First Class
Rep

Purchased the Cross Climate 2 tires from Tire Kingdom for my 2020 X5 Drive 40i. Worst experience ever. The first question I asked was if the dot//manufacture dates were the same and they told me that they were. I get my X5 back and check the date codes on 2 tires and they are 30/22 and 21/22. Don't know what the codes are on tires on right side because they are on inside of tire due to being a directional tire. I ask TK for the complete dot codes and they state that only 2 are listed on the invoice. They price matched Costco and that is why I went to TK. I knew I should have checked the codes before they were installed.

Then they include the road hazard on all tires as part of the price match as Costco tires come with this automatically. I was assured it is a lifetime road hazard warranty or good until you get down to 2/32 on tires. I look at the paperwork after I left and it shows the term is 36 months and also all dot codes are supposed to be listed for each tire and only one is on the paperwork. Even the website shows that it is lifetime road hazard warranty. I already shot off an email to TK contact center about this amongst other things.

Before I had these tires installed, I checked the date codes on original tires that came with the X5 and I bought it brand new. All 4 tires were manufactured in different weeks in 2019 and I was surprised to see this.

Then TK checks the alignment and of course an alignment needs to be done. Doesn't get my permission to proceed and they just do the alignment. There were some adjustments that were out, but not sure it was enough to justify an alignment.

I get no warranty card or anything from TK, need the dot codes to register the tires, if for no other reason, in the event the tires are recalled.

Needless to say, I will likely be disputing this transaction unless TK steps up and provides me the required information and lifetime road hazard.

Probably going to reach out to Michelin as well about this experience and might request that they replace all tires with same manufacture date.

If you have mixed manufacture weeks in same year, do you guys think this is an issue or not? Being that BMW installed tires in same manner with tires having different dates it would seem that this is okay.

Sorry for the ranting here, it has been a long day and dealing with dishonest people doesn't bode well with me.

Last edited by floridaman100; 04-15-2023 at 08:56 PM.. Reason: remove image
Appreciate 1
rexus300153.50
      04-15-2023, 08:56 PM   #16
rexus300
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Purchased the Cross Climate 2 tires from Tire Kingdom for my 2020 X5 Drive 40i. Worst experience ever. The first question I asked was if the dot//manufacture dates were the same and they told me that they were. I get my X5 back and check the date codes on 2 tires and they are 30/22 and 21/22. Don't know what the codes are on tires on right side because they are on inside of tire due to being a directional tire. I ask TK for the complete dot codes and they state that only 2 are listed on the invoice. They price matched Costco and that is why I went to TK. I knew I should have checked the codes before they were installed.

Then they include the road hazard on all tires as part of the price match as Costco tires come with this automatically. I was assured it is a lifetime road hazard warranty or good until you get down to 2/32 on tires. I look at the paperwork after I left and it shows the term is 36 months and also all dot codes are supposed to be listed for each tire and only one is on the paperwork. Even the website shows that it is lifetime road hazard warranty. I already shot off an email to TK contact center about this amongst other things.

Before I had these tires installed, I checked the date codes on original tires that came with the X5 and I bought it brand new. All 4 tires were manufactured in different weeks in 2019 and I was surprised to see this.

Then TK checks the alignment and of course an alignment needs to be done. Doesn't get my permission to proceed and they just do the alignment. See attachment of before an after.

I get no warranty card or anything from TK, need the dot codes to register the tires, if for no other reason, in the event the tires are recalled.

Needless to say, I will likely be disputing this transaction unless TK steps up and provides me the required information and lifetime road hazard.

Probably going to reach out to Michelin as well about this experience and might request that they replace all tires with same manufacture date.

If you have mixed manufacture weeks in same year, do you guys think this is an issue or not? Being that BMW installed tires in same manner with tires having different dates it would seem that this is okay.

Sorry for the ranting here, it has been a long day and dealing with dishonest people doesn't bode well with me.
Totally understand your feelings. Thats why I buy my tires from tirerack but I always have them send out the freshest batch of tires no older than 6 months so I have no issues balancing them and I can feel confident they will last long even with road hazard. I do check them like you did. Hopefully it gets sorted out!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2023, 10:26 PM   #17
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Tires with different manufacture dates are totally fine. Don’t need worry about this
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2023, 06:18 AM   #18
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by quad_drive View Post
I replaced my Q7 runflats with Michelin Pilot Sport All seasons last year. The Good Year runflats on the Q7 were awful tires. So, the ride is almost night and day better with the Michelin in every way.

On the BMW, the Pirelli are much better runflats. I had them on the F15 for 8 years. Switching to non-runflats will definitely improve the hard impacts you sometimes feel on the runflats. Non-runflats are quieter for longer tire life. Runflats have tendency to get loud after about 10-12k miles on them.

I would almost always switch them on my car. With that said, my wife drives the X5 mostly, so, it may be an issue with her if she gets a flat. So, I am debating whether to keep runflats on the X5 when time comes.

You will have to have fix-a-flats and portable air pump with you at all times if you were to switch to non-runflats.
That is what I did, switch to non run flats and keep a BMW fix a flat system. If you do use it, you will need to get a new tire just like you would with a run flat. You can repair a tire after you use the fix a flat. I had non run flats on my previous Cayenne and used a fix a flat once, it was fine…I drove it 20-30 miles with no problems.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2023, 06:25 AM   #19
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:

Consumer reports rates the Pirelli Scorpion AS3 as the most quiet and comfortable of the lot. My friend got them recently on his 2019 X5 50i ( his is the model before it became M50) and I can attest that they are very quiet and comfortable. I would get them as well…

I have DWS 06 and while they will last longer than the Pirelli run flats it came with (lasted around 15K miles), I find very little difference in ride quality or road noise compared to the run flats. Just my experience. On a 19 inch or 20 inch, the non run flats might be a little too bouncy since the X5 (non M) suspensions are all tuned for AS run flats.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2023, 08:51 AM   #20
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Tire Rack also rates the Pirellis at the top of the Crossover/SUV tires. I'm going to go with them soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2023, 10:10 AM   #21
BlueYonder
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 35d

I replaced the run flats on my 2015 X5 35d with the Pirelli AS3. Much quieter and smoother ride. After 10,000 miles they show little wear. I was lucky to get 20,000 miles out of a set of run flats. I bought an after market spare kit to go with the new tires and it still cost less than a new set of run flats.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2023, 07:34 PM   #22
slicky
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Cadilac ATS-V

Quote:
Tire Rack also rates the Pirellis at the top of the Crossover/SUV tires. I'm going to go with them soon.
Tire Rack's review of the Scorpion Verde is from 2013 and 10 years ago, they finished last out of 4 tires. They are horrible obsoleted and atrociously expensive tires. Read user reviews. They should have put a bullet in them a decade ago.
Appreciate 0