bbari
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep
Drives: X5 50e

Garage List
BMW  [0.00]
X5 50e or IX.40

I'm currently driving 2014 BMW F10 which I bought new and I still love it. Looking to upgrade and I'm torn between IX and the X5 50e.
I booked IX in Nov to get it in Mar but it never arrived (delays etc). I have now booked X5 to be delivered in July.

My daily work commute is 30KM round trip in a slow traffic and once a month I can have a round trip of 200KM. I drive about 12,000KM per year. Haven't been on a long family trip for the past 3/4 years but it can change. I don't have a heavy foot.

IX has an advertised range of 410KM. Perhaps it does about 300KM in winter and 380KM-400KM in summer. I feel its not a lot of mileage for a c.€100K car.

X5 50e has an advertised range of 110KM and perhaps it can do my 3 days of commute and once a month, on my 200KM trip, it will cover 1 way trip on battery and the return trip on ICE.

I test drove Merc EQE, loved the drive of full EV (silence, B mode, gliding etc) but I don't think I want to move from BMW to Merc!

it will be my 1st Hybrid/PHEV/BEV and 1st SUV.

My head tells my one thing (IX) and heart tells me other (X5). Where would you go next....... IX or X5 50e.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 05:30 AM   #2
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

For me - X5 without a second thought.

I don't like the IX looks or the interior (specifically the lack of centre console between the front seats makes it feel like a van, the seats are not sporty enough, I hate the aesthetics).

A hybrid would suit me as I still enjoy ICE vehicles, I don't want/need full electric. I like the idea of being able to drive on petrol when the battery is low and the range on the 50e would be enough for a full 2 days of driving for me most of the time anyway. Best of both worlds for me personally as it still feels familiar but I'd also be able to power it from electricity (if thats what I was looking for).

But thats me - EV and PHEV are different propositions bought for different reasons, so what drew you to the idea of an EV in the first place? And will a PHEV satisfy that need for you?
Appreciate 1
bbari23.00
      04-19-2023, 05:44 AM   #3
bbari
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep

Garage List
BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
For me - X5 without a second thought.

I don't like the IX looks or the interior (specifically the lack of centre console between the front seats makes it feel like a van, the seats are not sporty enough, I hate the aesthetics).

A hybrid would suit me as I still enjoy ICE vehicles, I don't want/need full electric. I like the idea of being able to drive on petrol when the battery is low and the range on the 50e would be enough for a full 2 days of driving for me most of the time anyway. Best of both worlds for me personally as it still feels familiar but I'd also be able to power it from electricity (if thats what I was looking for).

But thats me - EV and PHEV are different propositions bought for different reasons, so what drew you to the idea of an EV in the first place? And will a PHEV satisfy that need for you?
Thank you for your opinion.

I agree with all what you said. I don't look the looks of IX either but I have heard that it grows on you! to be honest I'm forcing myself to like the looks of IX.
What drew me to the idea of an EV.... I liked the one pedal driving, smart recuperation and adaptive mode when you are driving in B mode i.e. it can stop if there is a car in front of you. It was like its driving itself in a slow traffic 70% of time.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 01:30 PM   #4
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

How is the charging infrastructure in your location? That may dictate the practicality of EV. In my area, a non tesla EV will be super painful if you use it other than commuting to work.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 01:34 PM   #5
bbari
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep

Garage List
BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
How is the charging infrastructure in your location? That may dictate the practicality of EV. In my area, a non tesla EV will be super painful if you use it other than commuting to work.
Charging structure isn't great. On my longer commute route, perhaps there is only one station which means waiting time involved also.
Appreciate 0