BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-19-2023, 08:29 PM   #1
spreddybmw
bmwnewbie
Rep
Drives: X5 2023

X5 50e vs IX Xdrive 50e - Difficult Call.

Need some thoughts around this which one is a good option i live in the dallas TX area. For now Work from home planning to be like that and may be max 800 miles for month have one more OLD suv for daily chores.

I am debating which one to choose.

X5 50e

No TAX Credits
No Lease Credits
Buy is the only option.
Planning to trade with my X5 2023 2300 Miles with All packages except Executive.
Never owned Hybrid many unknowns.
Dealer not ready to reduce a penny max 750 from MSRP giving Tints and Floor mats and decent Trade for X5 2023 (64K) buying X5 50E from same guy
Now only vehicle he has MW White no MSPORT.

IX XDRIVE
New looks
Lease Credits 7500
Futurstic
More Power
Used to have a MODEL Y
More Room in the back seat.

What ever i choose from the above 2 will be by second car used more for fun drive not for daily chores, long distance more than 30- 40 miles and unless i start working from office.

Any thoughts please advise.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 08:52 PM   #2
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreddybmw View Post
Need some thoughts around this which one is a good option i live in the dallas TX area. For now Work from home planning to be like that and may be max 800 miles for month have one more OLD suv for daily chores.

X5 50e

No TAX Credits
No Lease Credits
Buy is the only option.
Planning to trade with my X5 2023 2300 Miles with All packages except Executive.
Dealer not ready to reduce a penny max 750 from MSRP giving Tints and Floor mats and decent Trade for X5 2023 (64K) buying X5 50E from same guy

IX XDRIVE
New looks
Lease Credits 7500
Futurstic
More Power
Used to have a MODEL Y

What ever i choose from the above 2 will be by second car used more for fun drive not for daily chores, long distance more than 30- 40 miles and unless i start working from office.

Get the iX. We had a model Y and now iX. Try and drive both and it’s the most relaxing car we’ve owned. It’s my wife’s DD.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 11:09 PM   #3
bbari
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep
Drives: X5 50e

Garage List
BMW  [0.00]
I'm glad I'm not the only one in two minds with this choice. I started THIS thread yesterday and will keep an eye on opinions.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 11:27 PM   #4
dananelson1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 45e, 13 X5xdrive50i SOLD

I'm not sure you can get a 7500 tax credit on the IX given it's MSRP, but ignoring cost all together since they aren't priced the same anyway, based on what you have said I'd go IX.

This assumes you like the styling, and importantly won't get into a situation where charging or range anxiety (ex. road trips) will be an issue.

Again, based on your criteria IX seems like a perfect fit.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 03:01 AM   #5
SwissBeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

I'll link to my post on this topic as I was in the very same situation. (Although I probably couldn't have kept myself from going with the iX M60 ) The only reason why I didn't was the looks, which I still can't get used to. I think "acceptable" is the word that comes to mind when I look at it, but purely the looks won't get me excited at all. Whereas the driving experience definitely would. I got an i4 M50 for a day last year and kept looking for reasons why I would need such a car, but the i4 is just way too small for my needs, unfortunately. The iX would fit the bill but I can't spend >130k (M60 in Europe) on a car which' looks don't excite me. So I ended up ordering a X5 50e in the hopes that BMW will offer something like the iX with the looks of the X5 in the next 4-5 years.

Long story short: If you don't mind the looks of the iX go for it. All the reviews I've seen praise the car from a technical perspective. The 50 got the range as well (>500km/300mi seems realistic in summertime in Europe, don't know if the battery is restricted in the US for BEVs as well as it is for PHEVs.) and especially with you having a long range car anyways I think it's a nobrainer. (But I also think it would actually be ideal for "daily choires" as it is sort-of spacious and super efficient especially in the city and on short trips. For a 10 minute trip I'd definitely rather take the BEV than start up my ICE but I think you would start using your BEV for most of the trips anyways like many people I know that got a BEV as a second car because you will learn to love the comfort it offers. )

Last edited by SwissBeemer; 04-20-2023 at 03:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 06:20 AM   #6
FastMarkA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e M-Sport

I considered the same scenario as well.

Bottom line for me, to have a similarly equipped iX was pushing $110k MSRP, whereas the X5 50e was ~$87k.

Even with a $7.5k tax credit (on only the iX), coupled with the fact I couldn't come around to its looks, it still ended up being a bit more, so I ended up ordering the X5.

Of course, looks are subjective and only the buyer can make that decision.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 06:33 AM   #7
mnx5er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 3.5i

I am looking at both also. iX has one major problem, the headrests.

My wife is 5' 7" and clanked her head on the hole in the headrest. The hard surround got her when I was accelerating and her head pushed back.

Lots of discussion on this in the iX forum. Being taller, it does not bother me, but the I still think the headrests are stupid.

Otherwise I really like the iX. I am still getting used to the look, especially the frontend. But I love the drive and open feeling of the cabin.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 10:39 AM   #8
AloneAlien
Private
Rep
Drives: Buick Enclave, Volvo XC 40

A walk around for X5 50e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOk4L67Sq2k
Appreciate 2
akin67450.50
      04-20-2023, 10:44 AM   #9
zico_lloyd
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Garage List
2023 BMW X5 45e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spreddybmw View Post

X5 50e

No TAX Credits
No Lease Credits
Buy is the only option.

IX XDRIVE
New looks
Lease Credits 7500
Futurstic
More Power
Used to have a MODEL Y

If you trade in your 2023 45e, i see you had all packages then it might be around 82k are you willing to accept 64k for your trade in value? That seems too huge loss on the value what you paid for.

I know life is short we should enjoy as much as possible. Just wondering what is your thoughts
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 11:50 AM   #10
darksilkx1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Monthly Payment

Try and drive both. I drove the IX50 a week ago and was extremely disappointed at the drive. Just felt really numb with not much BMW character. Decided at that point I would get the 50e. To be clear the IX is luxurious and well finished but to me It didn't drive like a BMW if that matters to you. I remember thinking that if I was put in it blindfolded and drove it, I might think it was a super high end Lexus or something that drives equally smoothly with a lot of isolation.
      04-20-2023, 12:53 PM   #11
viperdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7/‘21 45e/‘23 45e

I have only ever sat in an iX, so I can't comment on anything other than the initial impression of looks, options and perceived luxury....

But to me the iX comes across is a bare-bones kind of vehicle that is marketed as "futuristic" to cover up this fact. It doesn't look or feel very luxurious and has very few options. No massaging or ventilated seats? No multi-contour seats?? Maybe I missed it but is there no upgraded stereo system option? Even the small details in the interior that are everywhere in the X5 are nowhere to be seen in the iX, like details in the interior door panels and dashboard.

Every time I get in an iX I just come away thinking that BMW just didn't try very hard.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 05:26 PM   #12
mnx5er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 3.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksilkx1 View Post
Try and drive both. I drove the IX50 a week ago and was extremely disappointed at the drive. Just felt really numb with not much BMW character. Decided at that point I would get the 50e. To be clear the IX is luxurious and well finished but to me It didn't drive like a BMW if that matters to you. I remember thinking that if I was put in it blindfolded and drove it, I might think it was a super high end Lexus or something that drives equally smoothly with a lot of isolation.
Can you expand a little on your thoughts? I also can buy a 2023 M50 for the same price as the iX. I really liked the iX but wonder if I missed something. I’ll admit the electric part of it was interesting along with the acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 05:38 PM   #13
darksilkx1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Monthly Payment

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnx5er View Post
Can you expand a little on your thoughts? I also can buy a 2023 M50 for the same price as the iX. I really liked the iX but wonder if I missed something. I’ll admit the electric part of it was interesting along with the acceleration.
Well really not sure what to add. It drives fast in a straight line but it’s missing what I have come to know as BMW character / handling. For some background our BMW history is 2006 530, 2013 335, 2016 and 2017 X5, 2019 X5 and 2020 X7. I’ve only driven BMW the last 15yrs - almost all M sports. I just have a set expectation of how the cars handle and that was missing there.

Smartest decision I made actually, when I went to test drive I was pressured to drive an IX60 though they knew I was interested in a 50. I refused outright suspecting the IX60 would be better and fool me into making a decision. Again this is one individual’s opinion with limited EV exposure. I’ve only driven the IX and a rental Tesla Y in the past. I can actually live with the looks but the wheel feel, handling and turning etc is just not what I’m used to from BMW.