BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-20-2023, 11:14 AM   #1
golub3w
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Question X5 damaged - repair and insurance questions

Hi everybody,

I drive a 2023 X5MC in Marina Bay Blue. Yesterday, while driving past a construction site, something fell from the top of the building onto the hood of my car. It was a rock or some other construction material. The hood is dented in multiple spots and paint damaged to metal.

I’m looking for your guys advice. Is it better to repair (repaint) the hood or insist on replacing with a brand new one? I thought replacing the hood will retain better value for the vehicle, but my dealership seems to insist that painting is the better route.

Also, has anyone had any luck with insurance claims in such situations? I’m insured with StateFarm. Regular claims for accidents with other vehicles involved went well in the past, but in this situation, I can’t prove what exactly happened, I didn’t file a police report, and there are no witnesses. I know it’s the construction company to blame but I can’t prove it.

What do you guys think? I’d appreciate any comments and ideas. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 11:47 AM   #2
icj_45e
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5 45e

File a formal complaint and notice with the project owner (private developer or DOT authority, depending on type of construction project) or the general contractor of the construction site. They (should) carry insurance for this kind of stuff.

I work for a large general contractor on bridge/highway projects, we get these types of claims often
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 12:58 PM   #3
Bolt1949
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i

Garage List
2024 BMW 40i  [0.00]
Bummer! Thank goodness it wasn't worse. Folks often suffer injuries in these type of "accidents." Can you share pictures? How deep are the dents? If the hood was hit so hard it "crumpled" so it's no longer square and flush with the adjoining body panels, I'd want it replaced. If the dents are less pronounced, then repair may be a better option. Your insurance may have to pay for this, then they will go after the construction company (subrogate). Did you stop and notify someone at the site when it happened? The company's insurance carrier may want to see some "proof" or witnesses to validate the claim. Dashcam video would be even better...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 01:07 PM   #4
Chonkapotamus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Find a good independent body shop and get a second opinion. If the hood is metal then repair to as-new might be possible, but it wouldn't surprise me if theres more labor involved than painting a replacement. The dealer's bodyshop makes their biggest profit on the man-hours, not the part costs. If an insurance company is paying get the job done best for you, not best for the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 02:26 PM   #5
charlie fairmont
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: His & hers, GC & X5

The problem with getting a completely new hood is that the body shop will likely have to paint (sort of feather-in) the fenders as well, so that all panels match. If they don't, you'll probably always be able to tell there's a slight color diff. But at the same time, depending on where the damage is on the hood, they might have to do that anyway. Blending in the fenders is ok, but if it were me, I'd try to minimize the number of panels the body shop had to fiddle with because I've never been 100% satisfied with any body work I've had done.
Appreciate 1
FCX52383.50
      04-20-2023, 03:44 PM   #6
songoku
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I believe the hood is aluminum. If the damage isn't too bad, and the shop is certified to repair aluminum, there is nothing wrong with repairing the existing hood.
I am not sure if replacing the hood will retain better value for the vehicle.
If the insurance company thinks that is repairable panel, they'll only pay to repair regardless of what you request.
Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 08:10 PM   #7
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

The hood is aluminum. As are the front fenders and side doors.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 08:56 PM   #8
sebk4
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 40i 07.2022.58

OP: Did You check the drive recorder for any possible recordings of the event?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 09:07 PM   #9
Chuck W.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '95 Porsche 993 Cab

Contact State Farm.. It will be covered under your comprehensive coverage. You'll have to pay a deductible but it won't impact your rates or count against you. If State Farm goes after the construction site your deductible will be returned to you. Take photos of the damage so when it shows up on the CarFax you can show it was minor. Good luck and keep us posted.
2001 Toyota Tundra SR5 Ext Cab - Hay Hauler
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 08:21 AM   #10
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Knowing exactly what happened is not a big deal to your insurer. I recently had a claim for a massive door ding. I said I had no idea where or when it happened. No big deal. Your insurer really gets to decide if you get anew hood or repaint. If done well, a repaint is fine.
Appreciate 0