BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-01-2023, 03:30 PM   #1
Beachsidefire
Rep
Drives: still waiting

45e battery depletes with ICE

Left home with a full battery and spent 5 hours on I-95 in sport mode ( using the ice), and by the time I got to the destination I was at 50% battery. Drove around in electric mode some at the destination, left to drive home with 7 miles of range on battery, used sport mode 5 hours back and got home with 4 miles of battery range. Why did it use so much battery will driving with the ice on the first leg of trip? I have never experienced that. I knew I was not going to be able to charge at my destination and wanted to save the battery for town driving. I know had I used the battery control it would have saved it, but I thought it would save the battery if only using the ice. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 03:34 PM   #2
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Air conditioning and all car electronics are running on the battery (AC directly, 12 V electronics through a DC/DC converter) so the battery is being discharged even when the ICE is running (unless the system decides to charge the HV battery, like in battery control mode).
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 04:21 PM   #3
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

AC and electronics will consume HVB, but 50% usage in 5 hours seem a lot. What drive mode? I don’t remember 5 hours of drive in sport mode In my experience consume nearly that much.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 07:23 PM   #4
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

The computer will use the EV motor to augment your acceleration regardless of the mode selected. SO, depends on the road, the gradients, and how steady you can drive as every time you accelerate, you'll use a bit of the HVB. Now, when you slow down, you'll get a little of that back.

If you want to retain some battery for running around town, you need to use your battery control or battery hold, depending on which model you have (45e or 50e). On a longer trip, I set mine to 30% so I can precondition and ensure I have HVAC functions right away...if the battery is too low, you won't have any HVAC for a short delay after starting in ICE mode.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 07:44 PM   #5
Beachsidefire
Rep
Drives: still waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
AC and electronics will consume HVB, but 50% usage in 5 hours seem a lot. What drive mode? I don’t remember 5 hours of drive in sport mode In my experience consume nearly that much.
It does seem a lot. Any other time I have drove in sport mode it never really consumed any battery. I had the cruise control set and literally no stop and go and could just see the battery level steadily drop. It's going into the dealer next week for an unrelated issue, so I'll ask them if they have any thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 07:46 PM   #6
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Parts of the US south have been hitting some pretty radically hot days, so the HVAC will have to work pretty hard.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 08:24 PM   #7
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
racking up to 50% charge while driving in Sport mode doesn’t seem right. it sounds like you were in Battery Control mode but unaware. while in Sport mode, the charge typically tops out around 20%

as mentioned, the HVB is always in use. just because the ICE is running (in any mode), the HVB is powering many things in the background. it isn’t relegated only to the electric motor. if you don’t want the battery to deplete quickly during the early part of a trip, entering a destination in the navigation system will usually spread available electric miles over the course of that leg. (I started with 14 electric miles on a recent 200-mile leg, and the vehicle utilized them sparingly during that leg.)

we have to be proactive about conserving the battery capacity for later use, such as the use of Battery Control. it’s a new behavior to learn if one owns a PHEV.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 10:46 PM   #8
Di3s3l_Power
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

You (car logic by design) were using eboost while going on uphills instead of downshifting to get better mpg

If you pay attention, while going uphills you will see like light blue background on gage left side
Or
if you put sport transmission on hybrid mode you will eboost light up on top of tachometer
Appreciate 0