BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-14-2021, 11:45 PM   #1
skyliner10004
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 x5

There is no discussion on this, on this forum - Can I plug a RFT?

If it is a small-medium (less than 1/4in) nail in the center tread of the tire (over 1.5 inches from the shoulder) - Can BMW Runflats be plugged simply from the outside? No, the tire was never driven flat, it was a slow leak down from 42PSI to about 20PSI.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 07:52 AM   #2
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Plenty of discussions on it. Dealers won't do it and some tire shops won't either, but some will and it has been done. If you understand the risks and the technology (and it sounds like you do), sure, do it in this specific, limited case.

As a counter point, this relatively small nail right in the middle of the flat part of the tread quickly destroyed my RFT to an undrivable state within only a few kms. To be fair, it did lose all pressure in my case.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1626566
Attached Images

08-15-2021, 08:09 PM   #3
skyliner10004
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Plenty of discussions on it. Dealers won't do it and some tire shops won't either, but some will and it has been done. If you understand the risks and the technology (and it sounds like you do), sure, do it in this specific, limited case.

As a counter point, this relatively small nail right in the middle of the flat part of the tread quickly destroyed my RFT to an undrivable state within only a few kms. To be fair, it did lose all pressure in my case.

can you please clarify your post in terms of:

"Sure, do it in this specific, limited case" Which case, your case or my case?

also, please clarify your 2 pictures, the left picture clearly shows a nail. This looks like its an inch or more in from the shoulder = yes, this run-flat tire can be plugged from the outside.

The right picture looks like a nice rainbow colored trout of a tire to me.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 08:48 AM   #4
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyliner10004 View Post
Quote:

can you please clarify your post in terms of:

"Sure, do it in this specific, limited case" Which case, your case or my case?

also, please clarify your 2 pictures, the left picture clearly shows a nail. This looks like its an inch or more in from the shoulder = yes, this run-flat tire can be plugged from the outside.

The right picture looks like a nice rainbow colored trout of a tire to me.
"In this case" = you state that your tire never deflated below 20psi. If accurate, it means the stiff sidewall that makes an RFT an RFT was unlikely to have been significantly stressed or compromised. And the puncture is small and nowhere near the sidewall. That's more or less the only combination of circumstances where plugging an RFT would be low risk.

Regarding the second photo, it is of the inside of my punctured tire. I have added a circle to guide you to the hole.
Attached Images

08-16-2021, 09:14 AM   #5
skyliner10004
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
"In this case" = you state that your tire never deflated below 20psi. If accurate, it means the stiff sidewall that makes an RFT an RFT was unlikely to have been significantly stressed or compromised. And the puncture is small and nowhere near the sidewall. That's more or less the only combination of circumstances where plugging an RFT would be low risk.

Regarding the second photo, it is of the inside of my punctured tire. I have added a circle to guide you to the hole.
Yea, When i last parked the car in the garage, the tire sensor hasn't gone off yet. The tire sensor did go off and the tire was low when i returned the next afternoon, but i dont really recall what pressure it was at. Potentially below 10psi. But 0 miles have been driven.

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 04:05 PM   #6
j080808
USA
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i, 440i

Absolutely can plug it.

(Sorry about the pic size) My wife had this in her brand new tire last week, 3 stores wouldnt plug it because it was too close to the sidewall (so guess what, you have to buy a new tire=$$$).

Had I been in town (and known the size of the actual hole (it was masked by the washer)) I would have plugged it in a heartbeat.

In my previous life I worked at my familiys auto repair facilities and have plugged thousands of tires in my life. Ive replaced bald tires with 2, sometimes three plugs that I put in over the life of the tire.

Ive also done plenty of track days with plugged tires and not thought twice about it.

You may have to do it yourself, get a proper kit from the auto parts store. Pull it out, ream it to size, plug it leaving about an inch of the two ends and slice that off with a razor blade.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-17-2021, 04:28 PM   #7
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

Yes. I've had run flat tires plugged numerous times over the years. Not a problem at all.
      08-17-2021, 10:18 PM   #8
skyliner10004
Private First Class
Rep

thx! Got mine plugged for $15. Actually for the first time in my life, i had a plug fail on me. He plugged it, and it leaked over the course of 48 hours, 5psi. I went back, we sprayed it with soap, saw some bubbles forming, and confirmed it. He replugged it for free and its been good for 1+ weeks.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 05:27 AM   #9
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i, 2020 Alfa 4C

+5.... Yes, you can plug it.

I actually keep a plug kit, and a small air pump in both my cars. Always good to have, and saves you from using the spare
6-Piston/4-piston BBK:https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2097342
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2021, 02:25 PM   #10
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e, Tesla Model 3

America's Tire just plugged mine for free.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 08:24 PM   #11
skyliner10004
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by codex57 View Post
America's Tire just plugged mine for free.
which tire did you have and where on the tire was your nail?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 10:48 AM   #12
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i M Sport

I've had good experience having a tire shop plug my Pirelli all seasons on my F15. Ran them for many miles without issues. Both times there was a nail that caused a slow leak, but never driven flat.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 11:23 AM   #13
skyliner10004
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbender View Post
I've had good experience having a tire shop plug my Pirelli all seasons on my F15. Ran them for many miles without issues. Both times there was a nail that caused a slow leak, but never driven flat.
Just to confirm - was your Pirelli a RFT?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 04:45 PM   #14
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

NOBODY recommends a plug inserted from the outside except for an emergency. IF a tire is repairable, it should be plugged from the inside with a patch plug.

Some tire manufacturers will not plug their RFT. The issue is, IF the tire was actually run flat, there can be hidden, internal damage. Also, the puncture will almost certainly break some of the fibers, and if you get another puncture, those fibers being broken will potentially allow them to pull out, and your RFT performance may be degraded. I think that is one reason why some manufacturers don't allow it, the liability is just too high for them to guarantee the safety of it. If the tire was punctured, it is in a repairable location, and never run flat, yes, in general, it is safe to patch it if you can find someone that will do it for you as it's not much different than any other normal tire.

It's helpful to carry a small compressor to keep the pressure up until you can get to a place that will repair it IF the hole isn't too big. A plug kit is fairly cheap, and that might be able to be used until a proper plug can be installed. The safer solution is to replace the tire if the manufacturer does not allow plugging one.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 08:54 PM   #15
skyliner10004
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
NOBODY recommends a plug inserted from the outside except for an emergency.

Some tire manufacturers will not plug their RFT.
your first statement is crap. who is "nobody?" Well.. I recommend a plug being inserted from the outside, Its worked for over 10 tires on my cars. Over 200k miles driven on those tires with plugs. Also see above commenters for more "nobody"s that recommend a plug from the outside.

your second statement is irrelevant. manufacturers are not the ones at the tire shop plugging your tires. Manufacturers are in the business of selling you new tires.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 06:00 PM   #16
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Did you miss the part about in an emergency to get you home or to a place where you can do a proper plug?

IF the tire is driven while flat, rather than plugged or just refilled to keep the pressure up if it's a slow leak, the tire can have some hidden damage which is why manufacturers don't want you to plug them. There's a reason why the restrictions of 50-miles and 50mph while driven flat are imposed...the carcass is being damaged in the process. The only way to prevent that is to either patch it immediately without driving it while flat, or if it's a slow leak, keep stopping and topping it off until you can get it fixed right.

A typical plug inserted from outside can allow contaminants migrating into the carcass and belts, degrading the tire. A plug patch done from the inside, when done properly, seals the hole and prevents that, but won't do anything if there is internal damage.

Your choice...
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 07:05 PM   #17
VWtoBMW
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
Did you miss the part about in an emergency to get you home or to a place where you can do a proper plug?

IF the tire is driven while flat, rather than plugged or just refilled to keep the pressure up if it's a slow leak, the tire can have some hidden damage which is why manufacturers don't want you to plug them. There's a reason why the restrictions of 50-miles and 50mph while driven flat are imposed...the carcass is being damaged in the process. The only way to prevent that is to either patch it immediately without driving it while flat, or if it's a slow leak, keep stopping and topping it off until you can get it fixed right.

A typical plug inserted from outside can allow contaminants migrating into the carcass and belts, degrading the tire. A plug patch done from the inside, when done properly, seals the hole and prevents that, but won't do anything if there is internal damage.

Your choice...
FWIT I have plugged RTSs three times over the years. Never had an issue
      10-28-2021, 01:58 PM   #18
RC_Hund
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Garage List
  [0.00]
I just had a hole in one of my RFTs repaired this morning. Might have been a piece of a #4 nail that caused me to start losing pressure. Only got down to about 35 psi, but a local shop said "Why yes we can fix that".
Luckily the puncture was in the center of the tire and never really ran flat, so the tire was safe to patch.
30 minutes and $50 later I was on my way.
RT Tires in Pacheco, CA. They also have a shop in Dublin, CA.

I used to plug the tires in my Q7 and never had an issue. This was a patch, not a plug though.
Appreciate 0