BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-31-2024, 04:38 PM   #1
maurinan
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 E40

Little "clicking" noise - possibly from door gaskets

Hi,

I purchased a use 2022 X5, the PHEV model back in November. Since I got it, I noticed a a minor "clicking" noise. While I drive, it seems coming from where the seatbelt is.
While it is minor, it really drives me nuts. I finally got it to the dealership, and the guy first couldn't hear it at all. He then understood the kind of noise I was trying to point to and he said it comes from the door gasket, basically it is almost like as the body of the car moves a bit, it creates friction or release pressure on the body of the car where it is pushed against.
He said that is sort of "normal" and in any case it is not something the warranty would cover. He said he could try to clean the body section for a charge in the hope that it goes away.
I did it myself, but no change at all.
The other thing I noticed is that when I look at the passenger door from the driver seat, I can literally see a bit of light in one spot where the passenger door (should) seal against the door.
I can't fathom that to be normal. I am considering bringing it back and point at that, maybe that would get the gaskets replaced or something.

I am wondering if anyone has had some similar experience, thank you in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 04:59 PM   #2
X6ix GTA
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6 40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurinan View Post
Hi,

I purchased a use 2022 X5, the PHEV model back in November. Since I got it, I noticed a a minor "clicking" noise. While I drive, it seems coming from where the seatbelt is.
While it is minor, it really drives me nuts. I finally got it to the dealership, and the guy first couldn't hear it at all. He then understood the kind of noise I was trying to point to and he said it comes from the door gasket, basically it is almost like as the body of the car moves a bit, it creates friction or release pressure on the body of the car where it is pushed against.
He said that is sort of "normal" and in any case it is not something the warranty would cover. He said he could try to clean the body section for a charge in the hope that it goes away.
I did it myself, but no change at all.
The other thing I noticed is that when I look at the passenger door from the driver seat, I can literally see a bit of light in one spot where the passenger door (should) seal against the door.
I can't fathom that to be normal. I am considering bringing it back and point at that, maybe that would get the gaskets replaced or something.

I am wondering if anyone has had some similar experience, thank you in advance!
I also have a light clicking/ticking sound that comes from the left pillar b. Dealership replaced some underlying clips but the issue hasn't been resolved yet. I'll mention it again at the next oil change. The light you're seeing isn't really light coming through. It is light being reflected from the interior of the metal door frame. When I first got the car, I also thought it was light coming through. I also have a 2022.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 08:23 AM   #3
maurinan
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 E40

Thank you for your reply.
I also thought it was some sort of reflection at first, I am going to do one more test, since I remember actually looking through while the car was moving and seeing the light changing and sort of resemble what the outdoor looked like.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 09:10 AM   #4
icj_45e
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5 45e

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ing+door+seals
Creaking door seals, you'll need some seal lube. Check that thread
Appreciate 0