BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-07-2016, 05:42 PM   #1
Sam@Bimmerpost
Contributor - Editor
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Silverstone

I took my Cayman GT4 Drifting!

I've always wanted to try my hand at drifting. Problem was, until I've had some practice and instruction, it's not something I would just 'try' on a regular track day. Other drivers aren't expecting it and a spin or an off can suddenly cause a lot of interruption to others and take away their track time. There are no local tracks with full skidpad facilities near by and even if I took a driving school like BMW's M Performance School, the skidpad portion is only a small part of the day. But the bloody skid pad is the only thing I'm interested in. Can you feel my frustration?

Lucky for me, my buddy Brody Goble is a Formula D drift pro and invited me to one of his practice days and gave me a little bit of coaching in the process. It was an awesome good time and I had a ton of fun.

I put together the above video with some action shots and commentary post drive. Trying a different format for my video, but it was mostly motivated by the fact that I had ZERO mental capacity left over to talk while drifting at the same time. Normally I can go around a track at a pretty good clip and still have lots of brainpower left over to laugh and talk with you guys, but not this time. This took every ounce of concentration I could muster to keep it all together. It's challenging but also extremely rewarding when you get it right. I want several sets of new tires and more seat time.

The video goes over all the things I learned and experienced, and I am totally hooked. I have half a mind to get another M3 specifically for this purpose. I think either an E46 M3 manual coupe, or an E92 M3 manual coupe would be my weapons of choice. Long wheelbases, lots of power, great LSDs and they look good with the tail hanging out. Any other suggestions?

Any of you guys do stuff like this? Want to? Or think drifting is just superficial and pointless? Let me know.

Sam
Appreciate 2
      07-08-2016, 03:19 AM   #2
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Well done. I'm also part of the 'drifting scene'for a years now... Did you use stock reartyres or?

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 11:27 AM   #3
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i 6MT

Drifting = the ice dancing of motorsports.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 10:50 AM   #4
Savory
Kaskasero
Rep
Drives: You Insane

I've had oversteer moments but never intentionally initiated a sustained drift. Don't trust myself and very selfish for the streets lol. You're a beast!! did you drift on Cup 2s? If so, $$$
2001 E39 M5
Appreciate 0