BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-05-2019, 08:48 AM   #1
akerekes001
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 40i

Tailgate close button does not (always) work

Hi,

I have a 40i and noticed, that the tailgate lock button (which also locks the car) does not (always) work. I tried it with the normal key, having it in the pocket, than got it into my hand but pushing the lock button had no effect. But sometimes it works and than sometime I push it 3 times and works for the 3rd time, so very unpredictable and anoying, but mainly not working.
Than I started to test it with the display key but pretty much same result. Even with keycard it is working sometimes but not always (not too many test though). I thought it might be because of the roof, but now I’m using the car mainly with roof closed and it does not make a difference. I use the same key for opening and closing.
If the lock button does not work I have to close the tailgate with the “close” button (works) and than use the lock buttom on the remote - very fustrating. My prev BMW had no issue with this, lock was always working as expected for 4 years.

Strange thing was, that once I left the key (normal) in my bag in the lagguage compartment. The tailgate closed and than reopened. Interestingly my 330i GT most cases did not even close it’s tailgate with the key in the car. So pressing the lock without effect was a sign having the key still somewhere in the car. Also I had to disable comfort in and out as standing next to the car at a gas station resulted the car open and close endlesly. I have the feeling the car does not really know where the key is (I thought it is the key, but it does with both keys which is unlikely).

Does anybody has similar experience? Any resolution for that?

Regards,

Toni
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 09:43 AM   #2
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

My wife had this issue with her key, we replaced the batter in the FOB and all is well now. But also another suggestion for safe practice always set to auto lock as you walk away. That way even if you only hit the close button you don't have to press any buttons on the fob.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 10:04 AM   #3
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
My wife had this issue with her key, we replaced the batter in the FOB and all is well now. But also another suggestion for safe practice always set to auto lock as you walk away. That way even if you only hit the close button you don't have to press any buttons on the fob.
Yes, replace the key battery. Mine was acting wonky when I first got the car, and replacing the battery helped a lot. Goodness know how long those keys sit in storage before they are assigned to a car.

Also, check all your door lock settings in iDrive. I have mine set to lock/unlock all doors when I approach or walk away. This locks the entire car, and I can open or close the cargo with the key fob, door button, or touch pad on the cargo area.

However, IN the car, to close the cargo you must HOLD the button on the door for a LONG time, otherwise I closes only partially. I started a thread on this in the past, and the folks here set me straight.

Also, the rear doors had the child lock activated, so people were trapped back there. This is a manual toggle switch on each rear door. Turn them off if you don’t need them.

I haven’t been able to get the “kick” function to work very well, but have only tried a few times. Just gotta get the hang of it, I think. I don’t have a hitch.

You are by far not the only one to struggle with this.
Hope that helps!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 11:18 AM   #4
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Quote:
And beware of the soft-close door glitch if you rely on the auto-lock function.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1619852
      07-05-2019, 02:51 PM   #5
pyyp1234
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
I have the same issue. Was it replaced by dealer or DIY?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 04:07 PM   #6
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpitts View Post
And beware of the soft-close door glitch if you rely on the auto-lock function.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1619852
I didn't go with the soft close so I should good. So far no issues with locking. Sometimes when I approach the driver door from different angles it won't unlock till I reach for the handle....
2015 M235 Manual
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 04:08 PM   #7
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyyp1234 View Post
I have the same issue. Was it replaced by dealer or DIY?
I was at the dealer so they did it for free but from my understanding super simple DIY as well.
2015 M235 Manual
Appreciate 0