MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonOne View Post
Nice write-up!

Did you really take 2 spots?
Well, it was a 1/2 spot by the service doors. Normally I would not and park away from everyone.

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 07:01 PM   #25
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Great write up! Awesome to see Orlando through the eyes of those vacationing here. My wife helped open Harry Potter and my Mom worked at Disney in marketing in the 70's. Needless to say Disney was a big part of my upbringing. Did you guys rent boats any? It's an inexpensive fun way to see Disney from the water .

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/re...torized-boats/

One of my best friends recently turned in his X5 MSport, they are such beasts and wicked fast! Congrats on an awesome vacation!

Next time you are here and want to see a cool part of Orlando - check out Winter Park - Park Avenue, some really fun little restaurants and very nice area (largest collection of Tiffany stained glass - Morse Museum). And you can take the Winter Park Boat tour and see some really amazing homes and hear about the history of New Yorkers who founded the area back in the late 1800's.
The only boats were the ones that go to the Grand Flo and Poly from the Magic Kingdom. We road them a lot as much as the monorail as they were actually quicker and gave a beautiful view from the 7S Lagoon. My wife wants to charter the GF Yacht next year for a Fireworks cruise. I will look into Winter Park. Scary enough, I just missed that UA shooting at the Premium outlets. I get over their once a year and this year was going to be on the 10th but decided to take a leisurely drive around the property and then headed over to Disney Springs via Disney bus from the Grand Flo.

Last edited by MystroX5; 02-20-2020 at 07:10 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2020, 07:55 PM   #26
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonOne View Post
Nice write-up!

Did you really take 2 spots?
How did this pix happen???

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 08:22 PM   #27
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
How did this pix happen???

Parked right under our hotel room in Lumberton NC.. Pic is looking down from hotel room.
Just so happens that the last spot in this hotel parking lot has a 1/2 spot left over from how they divided up the spaces. I always try to get spots like these as you only have to watch out on one side from others parking..

Traveling a lot over the years I have learned: Parking near the front desk of the hotel is asking for door dings as there is too much traffic from other tired (and careless) travelers that are only focused on getting in to their room. Banging their car door into your BMW to get out their bags is almost a guarantee. Always park away and under a light that give you a view from your room if you can.

Last edited by MystroX5; 02-20-2020 at 08:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 08:34 PM   #28
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Parked right under our hotel room in Lumberton NC.. Pic is looking down from hotel room.
Lumberton NC? I'll be on my way north from Florida starting Saturday. Will spend a couple of days in Savannah and then head north on 95 like you did but could not find any place nice to stay till Norfolk. I wanted to split the drive up because we are visiting friends in Wilmington, DE but need a few days on the road before they are ready for us. What in the world is in Lumberton? I was thinking of Fayetteville but all the micro breweries are closed the day we would be there
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 08:43 PM   #29
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Lumberton NC? I'll be on my way north from Florida starting Saturday. Will spend a couple of days in Savannah and then head north on 95 like you did but could not find any place nice to stay till Norfolk. I wanted to split the drive up because we are visiting friends in Wilmington, DE but need a few days on the road before they are ready for us. What in the world is in Lumberton? I was thinking of Fayetteville but all the micro breweries are closed the day we would be there
Lumberton NC is the 1/2 way spot for snow birds from NY/NJ/PA to Orlando. The parking lot always confirms this. Going down this year we tried to break it up for two days going down for scheduling and weather reasons so we stopped at Lumberton NC and then Brunswick GA before going to Orlando. Both places had indoor pools so the kids were happy and made 2 very easy days of traveling. It also gave us time to stop at places along the way like South of the Border, etc...
Normally it’s PA-Lumberton NC- Orlando. Check the Hilton app. There are usually a few very nice Hampton Inn Suites along the way. Great breakfasts included.

Next year we are going to stop at Jekyll Island for 2 days along the way down to Florida. Hilton Head is also another of our favorite stops. For us it’s 1100 miles one way. We did it in one day last year coming back to beat a ice storm.

Last edited by MystroX5; 02-20-2020 at 08:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 09:16 PM   #30
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Lumberton NC is the 1/2 way spot for snow birds from NY/NJ/PA to Orlando. The parking lot always confirms this. Going down this year we tried to break it up for two days going down for scheduling and weather reasons so we stopped at Lumberton NC and then Brunswick GA before going to Orlando. Both places had indoor pools so the kids were happy and made 2 very easy days of traveling. It also gave us time to stop at places along the way like South of the Border, etc...
Normally it’s PA-Lumberton NC- Orlando. Check the Hilton app. There are usually a few very nice Hampton Inn Suites along the way. Great breakfasts included.

Next year we are going to stop at Jekyll Island for 2 days along the way down to Florida. Hilton Head is also another of our favorite stops. For us it’s 1100 miles one way. We did it in one day last year coming back to beat a ice storm.
We drive 1,200 miles to my wife's sister in Florida. The drive between NY and SC is boring, this year I only stopped once on the way down as we were in a hurry to get to Naples before NY Eve. Now that we are on the way back and need to burn some time I have been looking for places to stay between Savannah and Norfolk and there's nothing.
I did look at Lumberton after reading your post and there seems to be a highly rated Italian restaurant there, we normally stop where we see a nice "food" place and then just try to find a hotel so will give it some thought ;-)
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 10:14 PM   #31
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

We love the Grand Floridian and have been going there for years. To do the Grand right you need to stay in the MAIN BUILDING concierge. We had a 2 room suite for 11 days and it was really quite nice. The orchestra and piano player plays right into your room. What we liked best was the security. Only concierge keys would get you up the private elevator. The kids could go out to the lounge on the fourth floor and you knew they were completely safe.

The Grand is great, but honestly , the Disney parks have been a bit of a let down lately. Lets just say the magic is gone and leave it at that.

A suggestion. Forget about the mouse trap. Head west. We did the Lodge at Torrey Pines in La Jolla, Cali this past summer. It is a different level of nice. Authentic, world class, five diamond resort and spa for the same price as the grand. World renowned golf, the Pacific Ocean 5 minutes in a golf cart away, fabulous food, spa, and unprecedented service. (on day two the staff knows your name and they know what your kids like and don't like)

Trust me your kids will love taking golf lessons with a pro more than standing in a two hour line to get in the haunted mansion, again.

They will love swimming in the Pacific Ocean and never forget watching the sun set while eating dinner at Georges at the cove.

Take them 20 minutes south over the bridge to Coronado Island. Spend a day at the Hotel Del Coronado. (the real Grand Floridian). The professional sand castle builders are spectacular.

Drive them up the coast to Laguna beach. It doesn't get any better. Shop. The Taco Shack is perfect for lunch. Don't miss the Masters show... outdoor theater at night time under the perfect Southern California sky. They won't miss seeing the fireworks show, again, in that mob around the castle.

Take a boat to Catalina Island. The fishing is spectacular.

Head to Anaheim. Show them the *original* Disney. It is smaller but cleaner and much more like the park you remember as a kid. Spend just one night at the Grand Californian. It is a mix between the Grand Floridian and the Wilderness Lodge. After Torrey Pines the Grand Californian looks and feels like a copy, but it is a very nice hotel. ONE day in the park and escape!

Hop in the X5 and drive east. They will love the Mojave Desert, detour slightly and drive over the Hoover Dam, let them swim in the pristine green waters of Lake Mead. Stop just for a night or two in Las Vegas. We love the Bellagio.

Back in the X5. It is an easy 4 hour drive to the Grand Canyon. You don't need a fast pass to get in, lol, and I promise you it will take a teenagers breath away. Don't just look, camp. Go rafting. Sit around a real campfire. roast a marshmallow. Look at the stars. No really, LOOK at that fabulous sky. Count the shooting stars.

There will be MANY photo opps for the X5 (and the kids) along the way.

Now you are living.... and you don't have to fight a mob of tired, whining kids in strollers, lines for boats, packed monorails, ornery people... to get back to your hotel.

There is life beyond Disney. Live it! Take a thousand photos. I promise your kids will LOVE you.

(A couple weeks in Italy doesn't suck either, lol, and I promise you your children will be interested).

Last edited by NewM3driver; 02-20-2020 at 10:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 10:52 PM   #32
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

A quick Grand Floridian Story. We were staying there a few years back. Owen and Joey were 13, Olivia was 11. The boys and I took those little motor boats out on the Lagune and Bay lake for an hour and they loved them. We went back to do it again a couple days later and that is where the story starts.

My boat was not running properly, so I had to turn back. I told the boys not to leave the Lagune and I would be right back. Well they drove into each other. Didn't get hurt, but Owens boat was sinking. As I'm heading back out the police boat is out on the lake rescuing the boys.

The resort was very cool about the crash and just concerned the boys were not hurt. The staff was just insistent the boys did not put so much as one foot in the water.

Both boys got teased (good hearted) by the staff at club level for the rest of our stay, and a nice gift basket arrived at our room that evening for the kids.

We asked about the stay out of the water thing the next morning. In a word.... Gators.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 06:37 AM   #33
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
A quick Grand Floridian Story. We were staying there a few years back. Owen and Joey were 13, Olivia was 11. The boys and I took those little motor boats out on the Lagune and Bay lake for an hour and they loved them. We went back to do it again a couple days later and that is where the story starts.

My boat was not running properly, so I had to turn back. I told the boys not to leave the Lagune and I would be right back. Well they drove into each other. Didn't get hurt, but Owens boat was sinking. As I'm heading back out the police boat is out on the lake rescuing the boys.

The resort was very cool about the crash and just concerned the boys were not hurt. The staff was just insistent the boys did not put so much as one foot in the water.

Both boys got teased (good hearted) by the staff at club level for the rest of our stay, and a nice gift basket arrived at our room that evening for the kids.

We asked about the stay out of the water thing the next morning. In a word.... Gators.
Disney on average removes 26 gators a year from the lagoon and lots more from other properties. I looked into this and basically Disney has a gator farm they constantly have to manage. It’s central Florida so it’s to be expected. You get sharks at Cocoa beach and you get gators inland. Just about every year we get to see a Cape Canaveral launch. The timing always seems to work out that way in Feb. This year was a night launch of the UAL Atlas V rocket.

Last edited by MystroX5; 02-21-2020 at 07:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 07:23 AM   #34
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X5/M50i (ordered); &

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Normally it's PA-Lumberton NC- Orlando. Check the Hilton app. There are usually a few very nice Hampton Inn Suites along the way. Great breakfasts included.

Next year we are going to stop at Jekyll Island for 2 days along the way down to Florida. Hilton Head is also another of our favorite stops. For us it's 1100 miles one way. We did it in one day last year coming back to beat a ice storm.
We drive 1,200 miles to my wife's sister in Florida. The drive between NY and SC is boring, this year I only stopped once on the way down as we were in a hurry to get to Naples before NY Eve. Now that we are on the way back and need to burn some time I have been looking for places to stay between Savannah and Norfolk and there's nothing.
I did look at Lumberton after reading your post and there seems to be a highly rated Italian restaurant there, we normally stop where we see a nice "food" place and then just try to find a hotel so will give it some thought ;-)
Have you considered Williamsburg? Also, lots of micro breweries in VA.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 07:27 AM   #35
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAGuy View Post
I second that.
Williamsburg is great, been there many times. My wife loves the vibe of Williamsburg and Busch Gardens is a nice park.

Myrtle Beach probably isn’t far enough up from Savanna but it is a good option.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 09:08 AM   #36
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAGuy View Post
Yes we did but I'm looking for someplace more midway between Savanna and Norfolk. Didn't want to go as far west as Raleigh so Fayetteville/Lumberton area may work. We'll see once on the road.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 09:30 AM   #37
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yes we did but I'm looking for someplace more midway between Savanna and Norfolk. Didn't want to go as far west as Raleigh so Fayetteville/Lumberton area may work. We'll see once on the road.
You at least should stop and see South of the Border in Dillon SC. Its 20 miles south of Lumberton. It is one of the legendary tourist stops along the i95 corridor. There is nothing else like it I promise you. It’s a have to stop for my kids. One of the reasons we stop at Lumberton NC.

Last edited by MystroX5; 02-21-2020 at 09:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 09:48 AM   #38
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You at least should stop and see South of the Border in Dillon SC. Its 20 miles south of Lumberton. It is one of the legendary tourist stops along the i95 corridor. There is nothing else like it I promise you. It’s a have to stop for my kids. One of the reasons we stop at Lumberton NC.

Ya know, I've driven past that for years, never stopped, dunno why, guess I get in the driving zone and go, go, go. I see you were in the passing lane!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 09:52 AM   #39
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Ya know, I've driven past that for years, never stopped, dunno why, guess I get in the driving zone and go, go, go. I see you were in the passing lane!
Even in “Ecco Pro” we don’t give up the left lane. My wife didn’t mind driving in Ecco mode and to be honest, when ACC was on, it didn’t matter and we saved a few mpg. The roads are so flat and strait that even neutered you have more than enough power.

Radar detectors are legal the entire way except in Virginia and they do enforce it.

At least stop and do another gorilla X5 pic for the forum. We can make this a BMW forum right of passage.

Last edited by MystroX5; 02-21-2020 at 10:04 AM..
Appreciate 1
Shane550X127.50
      02-21-2020, 01:12 PM   #40
PARTS@STBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW

This is awesome!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 02:08 PM   #41
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I know this topic was discussed in another thread and not that it really matters but was there any conclusion as to why the two rearview mirrors don't fold in the same amount? They do on my X3 so just curious.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 03:56 PM   #42
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

What a great road trip journal and confirmation that BMW got it right with X5 50i M Sport.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 06:56 PM   #43
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I know this topic was discussed in another thread and not that it really matters but was there any conclusion as to why the two rearview mirrors don't fold in the same amount? They do on my X3 so just curious.

The pic accentuates it but they don’t on the GO5 X5. Others noticed this as well with theirs. I personally never noticed it on the ground but you can see it from a aerial pic. I believe it has to do with different pivot points in which they fold.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 09:16 PM   #44
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Like Little America going West on 80!
Appreciate 0