BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-04-2020, 03:38 PM   #1
TrollingCavalier
Private
Rep
Drives: 535i & x5 40i

Trunk length with rear seats folded?

Going to buy a furniture that is 2.3 meter long, not sure if I could fit it into my trunk......
Cannot find the LENGTH of the trunk online anywhere, I guess in this case knowing the trunk volume does not help
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 03:44 PM   #2
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Gotta measure... I wouldn't rely on any stated measurements, if you can even find any. Hard to say what points they measured from etc. Have to measure all directions before you get there and realize it will fit inside the car, but won't fit through the opening to actually get it in there ... 😉
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2020, 03:49 PM   #3
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollingCavalier View Post
Going to buy a furniture that is 2.3 meter long, not sure if I could fit it into my trunk......
Cannot find the LENGTH of the trunk online anywhere, I guess in this case knowing the trunk volume does not help
I bet you would have been quicker in getting a tape measure and measuring it than the amount of time it took you to write your post 😜🤦🏻*♂️ just saying 🤷🏻*♂️
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 03:52 PM   #4
TrollingCavalier
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by samvora View Post
I bet you would have been quicker in getting a tape measure and measuring it than the amount of time it took you to write your post 😜🤦🏻*♂️ just saying 🤷🏻*♂️
Don't really have tape measure at home, so...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 03:53 PM   #5
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
While you're waiting for chrisny to reply, I can tell you that the width of the cargo area from the left to the right walls is 44" and the depth from the back of the second row seats (at the floor level) with the seats in the up position (as if someone is sitting in them) to the rear inside door when its down is 40.5".
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2020, 03:53 PM   #6
TrollingCavalier
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Gotta measure... I wouldn't rely on any stated measurements, if you can even find any. Hard to say what points they measured from etc. Have to measure all directions before you get there and realize it will fit inside the car, but won't fit through the opening to actually get it in there ... 😉
Good point, never thought of this
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 03:55 PM   #7
TrollingCavalier
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
While you're waiting for chrisny to reply, I can tell you that the width of the cargo area from the left to the right walls is 44" and the depth from the back of the second row seats (at the floor level) with the seats in the up position (as if someone is sitting in them) to the rear inside door when its down is 40.5".
Thanks! So I guess even with the rear seats folded down, there is no way for it to fit a 2.3 m bed....
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 03:57 PM   #8
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Good point, never thought of this
Rushed out one night to catch a sale on a patio set before it ended.. there was zero chance it was going to fit inside our car at the time (X3) as I expected it to. So, I didn't have the roof bars on, ended up having to call a friend to come with his Tahoe, and it didn't fit through that opening either (almost but not quite)! Had to put it on his roof.
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2020, 03:59 PM   #9
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! So I guess even with the rear seats folded down, there is no way for it to fit a 2.3 m bed....
Doubtful since 2.3 meters is 90.5". I bet the folded rear seats will only give you another 18" of length which together with the 40.5 is 58.5" or 1.5 meters - far short of your needed 2.3
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 04:07 PM   #10
TrollingCavalier
Private
Rep

Quote:
Doubtful since 2.3 meters is 90.5". I bet the folded rear seats will only give you another 18" of length which together with the 40.5 is 58.5" or 1.5 meters - far short of your needed 2.3
Now here is an idea, just not sure if it is legal tho?
Generally speaking , is it okay to drive with your trunk open?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 04:09 PM   #11
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Now here is an idea, just not sure if it is legal tho?
Generally speaking , is it okay to drive with your trunk open?
Sure, if you have a gas mask you can wear. I've done it for a short distance in a minivan years ago with a couple of red flags tied to the end of the lumber I was carrying but my guess is your X5 will not let you do it! Try it now and see what happens.
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2020, 04:22 PM   #12
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

When you say bed, is this just a mattress or an actual bed frame with headboard, footboard etc? Mattress and box spring you could do on the roof if you have the right equipment (roof rack, straps).
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2020, 04:43 PM   #13
TrollingCavalier
Private
Rep

Quote:
When you say bed, is this just a mattress or an actual bed frame with headboard, footboard etc? Mattress and box spring you could do on the roof if you have the right equipment (roof rack, straps).
I guess that could work too, but I have zero experience on it so might as well just call up a friend who has a q7 or a pickup truck
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 04:43 PM   #14
TrollingCavalier
Private
Rep

Quote:
Sure, if you have a gas mask you can wear. I've done it for a short distance in a minivan years ago with a couple of red flags tied to the end of the lumber I was carrying but my guess is your X5 will not let you do it! Try it now and see what happens.
Too lazy to open the garage door and let loose of the trunk
but my guess is it might stop you from shifting into drive while trunk is open?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 04:45 PM   #15
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I guess that could work too, but I have zero experience on it so might as well just call up a friend who has a q7 or a pickup truck
Pickup, probably.. Doubt the Q7 would get you there, closer but still likely not enough. Unless your friend has more confidence in the roof option.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 04:45 PM   #16
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Too lazy to open the garage door and let loose of the trunk
but my guess is it might stop you from shifting into drive while trunk is open?
Yeah, that's my guess. I don't believe it will fit in a Q7 either, you need either a pickup truck or minivan.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 04:49 PM   #17
TrollingCavalier
Private
Rep

I actually found a tape measure out of nowhere, so I went down to the garage and gave it a try.
Turns out the length from the tail gate to the front passenger seat is about 1.8 meters or 75 inches.
A lot longer than I expected tho still not enough
I prob just gonna ask a friend or two who has larger vehicles to help
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 04:54 PM   #18
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I actually found a tape measure out of nowhere, so I went down to the garage and gave it a try.
Turns out the length from the tail gate to the front passenger seat is about 1.8 meters or 75 inches.
A lot longer than I expected tho still not enough
I prob just gonna ask a friend or two who has larger vehicles to help
Well there you go, so close yet so far you still need another 15" but...if its a mattress, I wonder if you could angle it, meaning put one end of the mattress at the cargo floor level with the hatch closed and the other end up in the air towards the headliner behind the front seats with the front seats moved as far forward as you can stand it when driving. You might be able to gain that missing 15". Even if it takes a few trips to get everything you buy.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 04:58 PM   #19
TrollingCavalier
Private
Rep

Quote:
Well there you go, so close yet so far you still need another 15" but...if its a mattress, I wonder if you could angle it, meaning put one end of the mattress at the cargo floor level with the hatch closed and the other end up in the air towards the headliner behind the front seats with the front seats moved as far forward as you can stand it when driving. You might be able to gain that missing 15". Even if it takes a few trips to get everything you buy.
Could probably work that way but I was worrying about my leather a bit, since I might need to carry other stuff.
A friend of mine turns out to have a f150, so I guess do not need to play
"mind games" at IKEA with trunk open

Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 06:05 PM   #20
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Could probably work that way but I was worrying about my leather a bit, since I might need to carry other stuff.
A friend of mine turns out to have a f150, so I guess do not need to play
"mind games" at IKEA with trunk open

Thanks for your help!
Using a truck is a much better route to go!
Appreciate 0