BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-03-2020, 04:05 AM   #1
Bancroft
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Never-ending problems with Sky Lounge panoramic window

So my Sky Lounge panoramic sun roof window is not working again.

First issues occurred a few weeks ago when I got this weird message "Rain closure not possible". I reinitialized the sunroof by holding the sunroof button for about 1 minute. It fixed it for about 3 days, then it stopped working again. I can only open/close the window cover but the window doesn't open. Plus the "double-click" option doesn't open/close the cover all the way.

Then I took it to my dealer. They fixed it (software fix --> they basically wiped the error message and did a hard reset of the sunroof unit) and it was working for about a week.

Now it stopped working again, it only works in the "limited" mode where only open/close of the window cover worked. I have another service appointment in 2 weeks. They will try to solve it with BMW Tech Support. Should take up to 3 days to fix.

I'm quite disappointed over this. Sky Lounge was a quite expensive option and I didn't expect this. So hopefully they will be able to fix it with my next service visit in 2 weeks. I'll keep you posted.

Has anyone had any issues with their Sky Lounge or is it just me having a bad luck?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 08:29 AM   #2
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Sub'd but first I am reading of such problems.
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 1
RJJJ42.00
      03-03-2020, 08:32 AM   #3
jonjo001
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW i3s and G05 45e

There have definitely been other posts in the forum with the same sort of experience and I have had exactly the same. My last visit was to have all the control electronics replaced and that worked, right up until I picked the car back up from the dealer! They did the re-initialisation (having done it before the electronics were replaced) in front of me and it has been faultless since (4 weeks).

There is definitely something not right with how the roof is working/integrated.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 10:24 AM   #4
spyfish007
Getting older, but I still love awesome fast cars!
Rep
Drives: 2017 X6M & 2016 Z4 sDrive35is

How do you know it is Sky Lounge related and not just sun roof related?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 11:03 AM   #5
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyfish007 View Post
That's a very good question. I have a 2020 X7 without the LEDs in the glass and I haven't had any problems with mine. I took delivery in Mid November and have just over 5K miles on my vehicle. Knock on wood...
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 02:38 PM   #6
jonjo001
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW i3s and G05 45e

Quote:
I don’t know, but in the UK we don’t have the option for just the sun roof.

OP I just noticed that you were the OP in what I mentioned earlier. To save anyone else hunting, here is the earlier thread

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1692928

Last edited by jonjo001; 03-03-2020 at 02:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 04:16 PM   #7
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Problems with panoramic roofs on BMWs can be found going back to the 1st gen X5, and every generation since.

They seem to struggle to design a pan roof that doesn't exhibit problems in a fair selection of cars.
Appreciate 1
gmer0.00
      03-03-2020, 04:54 PM   #8
spyfish007
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
Problems with panoramic roofs on BMWs can be found going back to the 1st gen X5, and every generation since.

They seem to struggle to design a pan roof that doesn't exhibit problems in a fair selection of cars.
Interesting. Both X5 roofs are panoramic. What about the X6?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 05:22 PM   #9
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. Both X5 roofs are panoramic. What about the X6?
Previous X6 generations have not been panoramic.

The G06 X6 is panoramic (although its still shorter than the G05). I have the skylounge in my G06 (as said, skylounge is the only option for a sunroof in the UK) and have no issues, but my car is only 3 weeks old.

I have had an X5 of every generation and I have been on various X5 forums for nearly 15 years. I recall people having problems with the pan roofs in every generation, going right back to the E53. Not every single car had an issue, but there was always enough for me to notice the posts like this one. There are certain issues that you just end up seeing over and over again, and the pan roof has always stuck in my memory.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2020, 05:27 PM   #10
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Having said that, it has never stopped me going for a pan roof

Problems may or may not arise, but in the grand scheme of things I'd still rather have a sunroof than not. A non-functioning roof won't stop the car from working until one can get it repaired. The only time it would cause problems would be if it stuck in the open position but that is rare.
Appreciate 1
volodp193.50
      03-04-2020, 12:42 AM   #11
spyfish007
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
Previous X6 generations have not been panoramic.

The G06 X6 is panoramic (although its still shorter than the G05). I have the skylounge in my G06 (as said, skylounge is the only option for a sunroof in the UK) and have no issues, but my car is only 3 weeks old.

I have had an X5 of every generation and I have been on various X5 forums for nearly 15 years. I recall people having problems with the pan roofs in every generation, going right back to the E53. Not every single car had an issue, but there was always enough for me to notice the posts like this one. There are certain issues that you just end up seeing over and over again, and the pan roof has always stuck in my memory.
Thanks for the commentary.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 03:48 AM   #12
PeterPuitG
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bancroft View Post

First issues occurred a few weeks ago when I got this weird message "Rain closure not possible". I reinitialized the sunroof by holding the sunroof button for about 1 minute. It fixed it for about 3 days, then it stopped working again. I can only open/close the window cover but the window doesn't open. Plus the "double-click" option doesn't open/close the cover all the way.

Then I took it to my dealer. They fixed it (software fix --> they basically wiped the error message and did a hard reset of the sunroof unit) and it was working for about a week.

Now it stopped working again, it only works in the "limited" mode where only open/close of the window cover worked. I have another service appointment in 2 weeks. They will try to solve it with BMW Tech Support. Should take up to 3 days to fix.

I'm quite disappointed over this. Sky Lounge was a quite expensive option and I didn't expect this. So hopefully they will be able to fix it with my next service visit in 2 weeks. I'll keep you posted.

Has anyone had any issues with their Sky Lounge or is it just me having a bad luck?
This sounds all too familiar.

Mine had the same message and my display key said the roof was open. (even if it wasnt)
I hadn't used the roof at all since delivery by the way.

They have had me reinitialise it (by pressing the button for 30sec) which briefly fixed the issue.
After it came back they have had it in the shop and changed some part.

Last week the message reappeared. So back to the shop again.

No idea what they have done this time.

When mine was faulty, nothing would work, not the sunblind, not opening nor tilting.
I hope this time they fixed it properly.

Keep you posted.

(also skylounge by the way even though i doubt it has anything to do with it as it is just a sunroof with scratches)
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 05:26 AM   #13
Bancroft
Private
Rep

PeterPuitG: Sounds like you're going through the exact same process. Keep us posted!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 01:11 PM   #14
perikifi
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 45e M Sport

I have also had the "Rain closure not possible." a few times lately. I have tried to open the roof (no sky lounge), sometimes it has acted weirdly, but it has always ended in the message not reappearing and roof working ok. Still, peculiar behavior for an unused roof.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 02:10 PM   #15
wosima
Registered
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 ordered 27 jan 2020

Hi, i'm relative new here.
This problem with the roof is also described in german forums. Apparently, this problem comes from a non good initiation of the roof in the fabric. A reinitiate off the roof by your dealer is helping.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 04:00 PM   #16
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
I've had mine since September, and I use it often (both cover, and roof) and I've had zero issues. It's butter smooth, and people who get in the car at night are quite amazed at the display.

On my old F25 X3 the roof was creaking when driving. I got used to it after having them try to fix it about 3 times, it only happened between about 5C and 15C or so, but never had a mecanical problem with it. Only "problem" is that after 7 years the mesh diffuser thing was absolutely fitthy and I never managed to find a 'safe' way to clean it!

Oh, on the F25 if you had it opened "all the way" (open it once, then twice) you had to partly open the back windows otherwise the infrasounds would make your ear bleed. The G05 doesn't have that problem.
      08-04-2020, 02:07 PM   #17
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

I have the exact same issue. I get the message and can't open the roof. After reinitialization the message is gone and I can open the roof again. This works for a few days. Is there a permanent fix for this?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 02:09 PM   #18
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPuitG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bancroft View Post

This sounds all too familiar.

Mine had the same message and my display key said the roof was open. (even if it wasnt)
I hadn't used the roof at all since delivery by the way.

They have had me reinitialise it (by pressing the button for 30sec) which briefly fixed the issue.
After it came back they have had it in the shop and changed some part.

Last week the message reappeared. So back to the shop again.

No idea what they have done this time.

When mine was faulty, nothing would work, not the sunblind, not opening nor tilting.
I hope this time they fixed it properly.

Keep you posted.

(also skylounge by the way even though i doubt it has anything to do with it as it is just a sunroof with scratches)
What was the solution for this issue?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 02:55 PM   #19
XKxRome0ox
e90noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

if your country has a "lemon law" statute, you should consult a local attorney about it
here in the US, particularly California, we have very pro-consumer protection laws
the lemon law in CA is especially favorable for consumers

i am a practicing attorney in California and I handle lemon law cases
if you are in California and have repeated and continuing issues with your vehicle, you can always run it by me for an opinion

we recently had a 2020 BMW X7 repurchased by BMW for a lemon law claim
(not a panoramic roof but other issues)

Production date - 2008-04-22
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 10:38 AM   #20
Morxer
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd View Post
I have the exact same issue. I get the message and can't open the roof. After reinitialization the message is gone and I can open the roof again. This works for a few days. Is there a permanent fix for this?
Hi, do you still have the same problem? If no, how was it fixed?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 11:43 AM   #21
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morxer View Post
Quote:
Dealer updated the software to 07/2020.35.
But I still had it a few times. After a reset it worked again. Now I'm a week without issues. It seems to happen at random. I can't see what triggers this problem.

The dealer said to replace the sunroof engine if it would still give problems. But I'm very reluctant to do this. In my opnion the engine is not the problem? Maybe just software?
Also what do they have to do to replace it. Headliner removal,... ? I also don't want to introduce a leak
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 03:24 PM   #22
Morxer
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30e

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morxer View Post
Quote:
Dealer updated the software to 07/2020.35.
But I still had it a few times. After a reset it worked again. Now I'm a week without issues. It seems to happen at random. I can't see what triggers this problem.

The dealer said to replace the sunroof engine if it would still give problems. But I'm very reluctant to do this. In my opnion the engine is not the problem? Maybe just software?
Also what do they have to do to replace it. Headliner removal,... ? I also don't want to introduce a leak
I also received new software but got still the same problem. Next week again in the garage. I will tell, if there is a solution. I am also reluctant to change the roof.
Appreciate 0