03-06-2020, 04:32 PM   #45
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwjpaypal View Post
If it's anything like the UK variant, it is just the addition of the external speaker. I think you also get a valve flap, but that doesn't make that much of difference to the note/volume.
Where did you get that info?

RealOEM shows a different backbox for the M sport exhaust - there is a version with a single exhaust pipe entry and one with a two exhaust pipe entries. Looks like the M sport exhaust gets the the 2 pipe entry backbox whereas the regular exhaust gets the single.
Appreciate 1
1230vani652.50
      03-06-2020, 04:40 PM   #46
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Also, can anyone find this 'external speaker' on RealOEM? I can't see it in the schematics for the exhaust system on any of the engines?

Which cars are meant to have it and which are not?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 06:11 PM   #47
JoseSportM
JoseSportM
Rep
Drives: BMW G42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
Also, can anyone find this 'external speaker' on RealOEM? I can't see it in the schematics for the exhaust system on any of the engines?

Which cars are meant to have it and which are not?
M50d has it but I found nothing on real oem
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 03:31 PM   #48
jbrattis
Registered
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e 2020

Turn off the pedestrian warning sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikheetleon View Post
Maybe it’s also used on the 45e for the pedestrian warning sound at low speeds? Would be nice to change this with coding.
Has anyone been able to turn off this sound? I've had the car for a month now, and I'm very dissatisfied with the noise from this car when driving in el-mode in less than 30 km/h.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 11:28 PM   #49
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Is this still a setting on the 2020 M50i as not seen it in my idrive ?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 12:03 AM   #50
BMWSAC
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit View Post
Is this still a setting on the 2020 M50i as not seen it in my idrive ?

Yes it is, and it not only "creates" a sporty sound inside the cabin, it actually let the exhaust pops and crackles, whether that's done by speaker noise or real exhaust notes I'm not sure.

When reduced selected, you don't get pops and crackles. Anyone interested in trying it out: first select REDUCED, rev the engine to around 4500 rpm, let go and hear the sound, no pops nor crackles; then change to SPORT, rev the engine to around 4500 rpm, then enjoy the pops and crackles for those who like that.

GM also does this to their performance cars, like the SS for example.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 02:30 AM   #51
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i, 2020 Alfa 4C

I absolutely 100% guarantee that my US spec X5 M50i does not have a speaker under the car emitting fake exhaust sounds. I've had the exhaust, bumper, diffuser, and underbelly pans off the car multiple times. This external speaker must be a UK thing, or perhaps a diesel thing.

Regarding the Active Sound in the idrive on the car (at least in my car)... that controls the level of fake sound coming through the speakers inside the car. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with the way the flapper valves operate. The flapper valves change operation when switching drive modes (Eco, sport, sport+, etc).... not when changing the Active Sound on Idrive.

If you want your car to sound throatier INSIDE the car... adjust the ASD.
If you want your car to sound throatier OUTSIDE the car, permanently open the flapper valves through coding, or tack-welding the flaps open (which is what I did)

I am not a fan... at all. Yes, it sounds good, but knowing that the exhaust sound is fake noise pumped through the speakers??? Makes me feel like a loser - LOL. I've permanently set it at "minimum", and if I could code it "off" entirely, I would.

With all that said, and while I'm not a fan of fake exhaust noise in any form.... I'm curious to know more about this "external speaker" under the car.... which cars it is fitted on, and in which countries. I've read through all the posts in here, and there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer to exactly which vehicles it is fitted on.
6-Piston/4-piston BBK:https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2097342

Last edited by Ninefourteener; 07-29-2020 at 02:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 02:34 AM   #52
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSAC View Post
Yes it is, and it not only "creates" a sporty sound inside the cabin, it actually let the exhaust pops and crackles, whether that's done by speaker noise or real exhaust notes I'm not sure.

When reduced selected, you don't get pops and crackles. Anyone interested in trying it out: first select REDUCED, rev the engine to around 4500 rpm, let go and hear the sound, no pops nor crackles; then change to SPORT, rev the engine to around 4500 rpm, then enjoy the pops and crackles for those who like that.

GM also does this to their performance cars, like the SS for example.
Just found it Although it only has options for "Depending on Driving Mode", "Reduced" and "Balanced" so I'm assuming the first one is the one to tick as I drive in Sport most of the time. Seems to work.

Sounds sounds so much better!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 02:59 AM   #53
BMWSAC
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Just found it Although it only has options for "Depending on Driving Mode", "Reduced" and "Balanced" so I'm assuming the first one is the one to tick as I drive in Sport most of the time. Seems to work.

Sounds sounds so much better!

I also have a Sport, in total four settings. Yeah it sounds a lot better, although not sure if it's speaker sound or actual exhaust notes, I do know the noise is from outside. And if you wanted some pops and crackles, it's the only way to go

I also like the REDUCED mode when driving in ECO Pro and want a quite and relaxing ride
Appreciate 1
Unit218.50
      07-29-2020, 03:05 AM   #54
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I also have a Sport, in total four settings. Yeah it sounds a lot better, although not sure if it's speaker sound or actual exhaust notes, I do know the noise is from outside. And if you wanted some pops and crackles, it's the only way to go

I also like the REDUCED mode when driving in ECO Pro and want a quite and relaxing ride
Yup pops and cackles are great!

Weird I only have the 3 settings. Are you in an M50i also? Mine is a May2020 build running the latest idrive software.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 03:10 AM   #55
BMWSAC
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
I absolutely 100% guarantee that my US spec X5 M50i does not have a speaker under the car emitting fake exhaust sounds. I've had the exhaust, bumper, diffuser, and underbelly pans off the car multiple times. This external speaker must be a UK thing, or perhaps a diesel thing.

Regarding the Active Sound in the idrive on the car (at least in my car)... that controls the level of fake sound coming through the speakers inside the car. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with the way the flapper valves operate. The flapper valves change operation when switching drive modes (Eco, sport, sport+, etc).... not when changing the Active Sound on Idrive.

If you want your car to sound throatier INSIDE the car... adjust the ASD.
If you want your car to sound throatier OUTSIDE the car, permanently open the flapper valves through coding, or tack-welding the flaps open (which is what I did)

I am not a fan... at all. Yes, it sounds good, but knowing that the exhaust sound is fake noise pumped through the speakers??? Makes me feel like a loser - LOL. I've permanently set it at "minimum", and if I could code it "off" entirely, I would.

With all that said, and while I'm not a fan of fake exhaust noise in any form.... I'm curious to know more about this "external speaker" under the car.... which cars it is fitted on, and in which countries. I've read through all the posts in here, and there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer to exactly which vehicles it is fitted on.

Europe, due to regulations (like what they do with petrol particulate filters), which we don't have in Canada and the US, that's why stock cars sound better here than those sold in Europe.

I'm not sure why your 2020 comes with "Active Sound", while mine and others come with "Engine Sound". The "Engine Sound" settings adds sounds to the cabin, but more importantly, when set to Sport or Depending on Driving Mode while in Sport and Sport Plus, you get pops and crackles, which you do not get ANY if selected "REDUCED", so this "Engine Sound" actually adds sounds to both inside and outside.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 03:17 AM   #56
BMWSAC
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Yup pops and cackles are great!

Weird I only have the 3 settings. Are you in an M50i also? Mine is a May2020 build running the latest idrive software.

Yes M50i, and I think only M50i gets this option at all. But mine is a X6 (don't see why that would matter, or is BMW at its old tricks again, thinking: X6 shouldn't have "Oh Shit Handles", or can't be optioned with Air Suspension on the M50i variant cuz you know "sporty" SAC bs, and now this: even in ECO Pro mode, a X6 M50i should still "enjoy" sporty sounds ), and it's a June production with 03.2020 software version
Appreciate 1
Unit218.50
      07-29-2020, 03:22 AM   #57
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Cool thanks mate - I'll double check when I go out again shortly but regardless the change in setting is noticeable which is great as I felt after my M cars the M50i was a bit muted. This changes it nicely.

EDIT: yes only the 3 settings on the X5 M50i but works a treat.

Last edited by Unit; 07-29-2020 at 03:49 AM..
Appreciate 1
BMWSAC41.50
      07-29-2020, 03:50 AM   #58
BMWSAC
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Cool thanks mate - I'll double check when I go out again shortly but regardless the change in setting is noticeable which is great as I felt after my M cars the M50i was a bit muted. This changes it nicely.

Yeah helps a little, but no more loud bangs like in M cars. When up shift at around 4000 rpm, it's so loud with a punch I could actually physically feel it and some ppl mistake it for gunshots

Here is a pic I just took

Name:  _20200729_013351.jpg
Views: 1713
Size:  113.7 KB
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 03:54 AM   #59
BMWSAC
Banned
Rep

EDIT: yes only the 3 settings on the X5 M50i but works a treat.[/QUOTE]

I see, so it is indeed BMW's quirky logic at play
Appreciate 1
Unit218.50
      07-29-2020, 07:55 PM   #60
Thewolfbmw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Competition (G80)

Garage List
I am not convinced it is all fake noise being pumped in. I'm going to mount my GoPro and mic and test it out.

in the meantime, try this.....plus the sound setting in sporty. Then remote start your car. The start up sound in Sporty is so much better.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 08:42 PM   #61
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewolfbmw View Post
I am not convinced it is all fake noise being pumped in. I'm going to mount my GoPro and mic and test it out.

in the meantime, try this.....plus the sound setting in sporty. Then remote start your car. The start up sound in Sporty is so much better.
That is the exhaust flapper valve. It is always open in Sports Plus.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 02:18 AM   #62
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i, 2020 Alfa 4C

Quote:
Europe, due to regulations (like what they do with petrol particulate filters), which we don't have in Canada and the US, that's why stock cars sound better here than those sold in Europe.

I'm not sure why your 2020 comes with "Active Sound", while mine and others come with "Engine Sound". The "Engine Sound" settings adds sounds to the cabin, but more importantly, when set to Sport or Depending on Driving Mode while in Sport and Sport Plus, you get pops and crackles, which you do not get ANY if selected "REDUCED", so this "Engine Sound" actually adds sounds to both inside and outside.
You're right... I said "Active Sound" when I meant to say "Engine Sound". Yes, I have those options in I-drive.

I disagree with you though, that setting it to "reduced" makes any changes to the actual exhaust. If you are in Sport plus, with "reduced" selected on Idrive, it will still sound healthy outside, while maintaining minimum noise through the speakers. The "Engine Sound" option does not affect the way the flapper valves in the exhaust work. All it does is control speaker sound.
6-Piston/4-piston BBK:https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2097342
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 02:47 AM   #63
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You're right... I said "Active Sound" when I meant to say "Engine Sound". Yes, I have those options in I-drive.

I disagree with you though, that setting it to "reduced" makes any changes to the actual exhaust. If you are in Sport plus, with "reduced" selected on Idrive, it will still sound healthy outside, while maintaining minimum noise through the speakers. The "Engine Sound" option does not affect the way the flapper valves in the exhaust work. All it does is control speaker sound.
I need to get under my car to see if there is the external speaker on my UK M50i like there is on the M50d.

It'll be interesting as I know the pops and cackles on my 2018 M4 CP were mapped to the engine's ECU which was why it had such a better sound than my 2015 non-CP M4m (and why simply putting a CP exhaust on a non-CP had zero benefit).

Thinking about this more I'd be surprised if it was possible to toggle a map on/off in the idrive on the X5 as usually an aftermarket device like Bootmod is needed.

EDIT: OK just been on my hands and knees under the car and can't see the speaker per the pics earlier in this thread.

Last edited by Unit; 07-30-2020 at 02:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 04:19 AM   #64
babyghost
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Hi 914 I can confirm by selecting reduced mode, the car doesn't make any pops and crackles when in sport plus. That's why I coded ASD off using bimmercode and select depending on driving mode to keep the pops and crackles when in sport plus(but no fake sound whatsoever).
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 05:43 AM   #65
BMWSAC
Banned
Rep

Quote:

I think it would be a surprise to most if not all, that "Engine Sound" actually changes the actual exhaust notes. But you won't get any pops or crackles when "REDUCED" is selected in any driving mode. That's why I was sorta OK with BMW having sound from the speakers, because without it, you won't get the "SPORTY" exhaust notes. Now whether the pops and crackles are from the real exhaust or outside speaker under the car is unknown to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 09:32 AM   #66
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I think it would be a surprise to most if not all, that "Engine Sound" actually changes the actual exhaust notes. But you won't get any pops or crackles when "REDUCED" is selected in any driving mode. That's why I was sorta OK with BMW having sound from the speakers, because without it, you won't get the "SPORTY" exhaust notes. Now whether the pops and crackles are from the real exhaust or outside speaker under the car is unknown to me.
Have you located the external speaker on your X6 mate as I can’t see it on my X5 M50i.
Appreciate 0