BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-28-2018, 05:40 PM   #1
Charles549
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50i

iDrive 7 RUINS the experience of 2019 X5 50i ownership.

Feel free to add to the list -

iDrive 7 fails to receive a navigation instruction from BMW Connected app.

It is impossible to add another driver Profile because the app/website demands a code sent to the BMW Messages app which DOES NOT FREAKING EXIST in iDrive 7!

I can go on and on...I'm too pissed off to continue. I love my 2018 Mercedes Benz S 450 software. Zero problems or snafus, does anything iDrive 7 can do. Sorry for rant. Just tried to call BMW Assist. They closed at 6pm on this Friday, I called at 6:15 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 06:24 PM   #2
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

I don’t have any issues sending navigation info to my car via app. I sent 7 so far and it worked instantly. 3D remote camera also has worked flawlessly for me. Sounds like MB may be a better fit for you or your BMW dealer needs to step up and work the tech out for you.
Appreciate 1
Penguino1603.50
      12-28-2018, 06:34 PM   #3
lumpydog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles549 View Post
It is impossible to add another driver Profile because the app/website demands a code sent to the BMW Messages app which DOES NOT FREAKING EXIST in iDrive 7!
I had this same issue. Deep breath amigo - it gets better and a little patience goes a long way this early in a new vehicle/platform release.

Call a BMW Genius (844-443-6487) and ask them to help you get iDrive running. Be in front of a computer when you make the call, so you can log into the iDrive site (they will email you a link to enable the connection and then stick with you until it all works).

Once you get Connected App/Drive setup, other pieces of the puzzle fall into to place.

There are other glitches and you're not alone - but the big ones, like Connected App can be solved with a phone call. If your Genius can't help, call another. For the little issues - good support group here ;-)
Appreciate 1
sygazelle11110.50
      12-28-2018, 07:18 PM   #4
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

The past three versions of the Connected App have been fairly problematic since the SW went to version 10. Tons of owners are having issues and not just with the G05, across the board. There has been a lot of criticism regarding the development team not thoroughly testing.
Appreciate 1
sandwi54538.00
      12-28-2018, 10:02 PM   #5
Charles549
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post
Quote:
I had this same issue. Deep breath amigo - it gets better and a little patience goes a long way this early in a new vehicle/platform release.

Call a BMW Genius (844-443-6487) and ask them to help you get iDrive running. Be in front of a computer when you make the call, so you can log into the iDrive site (they will email you a link to enable the connection and then stick with you until it all works).

Once you get Connected App/Drive setup, other pieces of the puzzle fall into to place.

There are other glitches and you're not alone - but the big ones, like Connected App can be solved with a phone call. If your Genius can't help, call another. For the little issues - good support group here ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post
Quote:

Thank you for the good advice.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 11:09 PM   #6
lumpydog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for the good advice.
Anyone named Charles is alright with me. Let us know how things progress.

Best,

Charlie
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 11:18 PM   #7
salfeet84
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

My car won't even let me login to my profile, app is stuck not updating for the past week, never saw weather or traffic work since I took delivery. Called bmw "genius" three times and emailed once, no help. They responded to my email today after about 10 days dumping it basically on the dealership, so I dropped it at dealership today and hope to pick up tomorrow all fixed, I agree it's a love hate relationship with the car between an excellent driving experience (I traded in a 2016 X5M) and awful software/tech crap going on...
Appreciate 1
JLR052389.50
      12-28-2018, 11:37 PM   #8
JLR0523
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by salfeet84 View Post
My car won't even let me login to my profile, app is stuck not updating for the past week, never saw weather or traffic work since I took delivery. Called bmw "genius" three times and emailed once, no help. They responded to my email today after about 10 days dumping it basically on the dealership, so I dropped it at dealership today and hope to pick up tomorrow all fixed, I agree it's a love hate relationship with the car between an excellent driving experience (I traded in a 2016 X5M) and awful software/tech crap going on...
Best of luck. After dropping mine off, they figured out most of the software and connected issues, but there are still a few features that won’t work.
      12-29-2018, 09:30 AM   #9
MikeElmendorf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5/2021 M550

While ultimately they will get this stuff working, there’s really no excuse for all the issues so many are experiencing. Most of them I observed on my ride home from picking up the car. Hard to believe even basic testing would not have revealed them. On top of that, the fact that the most recent software update nuked most of the apps for so many of us is really galling.

I would be enjoying my 2019 X5 much more now if it had the same iDrive as my 2018 540, which, while it doesn’t look as nice (both the UI and the screen itself—the new screen is beautiful), it just works. Perfectly, all the time, doing everything it is supposed to do.

I have it on very good authority from a German friend who was home for the holidays and got together with some of his buddies in Munich who are high level BMW execs (including the head of global quality for BMW) that they are well aware of these issues and an update is due on or about January 7 that should fix much of this. He spoke to them in detail about what was going on with my iDrive (the same issues so many others have reported) and they knew about it all.

Still, can’t understand how these issues escaped testing. I volunteered to test their future vehicles....
Appreciate 1
ADK-X528.00
      12-29-2018, 11:03 AM   #10
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 M40i - G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeElmendorf View Post

I have it on very good authority from a German friend who was home for the holidays and got together with some of his buddies in Munich who are high level BMW execs (including the head of global quality for BMW) that they are well aware of these issues and an update is due on or about January 7 that should fix much of this. He spoke to them in detail about what was going on with my iDrive (the same issues so many others have reported) and they knew about it all.
I have said in other threads that I am just happy that BMW is continually pushing updates to these issues. Let's just hope they continue to do so for as long as it takes to get everything right!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 11:40 AM   #11
salfeet84
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR0523 View Post
Quote:
Best of luck. After dropping mine off, they figured out most of the software and connected issues, but there are still a few features that won’t work.
I just got a text msg from my service guy and I quote "First programming attempt was not successful. Finished up right at 615 last night but the dsc rejected the software. Still no response on the connected drive either. Will likely carry into Monday"... wondering if I ended up with a lemon
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 11:59 AM   #12
TechCTU
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 M60i

Quote:
I just got a text msg from my service guy and I quote "First programming attempt was not successful. Finished up right at 615 last night but the dsc rejected the software. Still no response on the connected drive either. Will likely carry into Monday"... wondering if I ended up with a lemon
Sorry to hear that. What week build did you have?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 12:00 PM   #13
salfeet84
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechCTU View Post
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 05:01 PM   #14
salfeet84
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechCTU View Post
Quote:
Just picked up my car after being at the dealership for a week, I'm able to login to my profile finally (BMWNA had to remotely login to the car and do a super had reset apparently), and my software was updated to .49, and now all the apps and bmw store are showing up FINALLY, never saw these since taking delivery 12/14... the only thing not working is iphone app functions now but I saw a different thread about all this and supposedly to be fixed in 1-3 days.. so I'm just glad to pick the car up
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 01:17 AM   #15
Greco1958
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 M50 2019

Need Help with Idrive 7

New to the community.. Have owned many BMWs before and was so exciting to purchase their X5 M50d latest model...Hope someone could help as I am running out of options. Called and visited dealer..called BMW Genius....Got the same answer "brand new system...teething problems...Wait for updates in next 2-3 months"....Do not buy this answer as problems are inconsistent...Sometimes something work, then stops working next time, etc.
Issues

1. Do not have access the option to save current position in Nav app in Favorites (Manual says should press Nav button, followed by pressing controller and a menu should pop up giving option to save to favorites...). Menu does pop up...Sometimes it gives the option to save to favorites, sometimes not

2. When it DOES give you this option, it saves the position of the cursor on the map which is ALWAYS in a different position (usually a few hundred feet) from the position of the car....Annoying when in a different country and need to save new positions discovered

3. Navigation map will sometimes go bezurk and show you totally off the road you are in and asking you to go back to road and then suddenly will go back to showing you where you are

4. Navigation arrows display sometimes disappears from the Heads Up Display and when this happens, the infotainment data also disappears form the Heads Up Display...All other speed and drive assist data still show up

4. Sometimes the widgets on the instruments cluster display do not change when you press the button on the turn indicator lever. They stay on the drive mode

These are not always happening but inconsistently...This is why I say I cannot accept that this is just a "teething issue"....Any help please on the specifics
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 08:35 AM   #16
bimmerstyler
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 G05

Garage List
We all have issues part of the same larger problem

Hi friends:

This is long, but after reading many posts across the Internet, we are all having the same issues across multiple car models and years. This isn't just G05 issues. Feel free to read further and add what you've seen.

First congrats to everyone on getting the new G05. Maybe we'll all drive by each other at some point. It really is my favorite X5 so far and I've had 2013, 2016 and 2019. If it wasn't for the connected services we'd be all set right now. . I'm a little upset that Sky Lounge isn't available in States, but I'll survive until the next one I guess. All you drivers in Europe will have to represent until we can get it.

I've had extensive conversations with Genius at the 844 number, the dealership Geniuses, and people within the manufacturing plant at Greer, South Carolina and I keep coming up with the same answer that no one is going to want to hear, but it's the right one: They need time to get the bugs out and they want the feedback. The rollout of the vehicles in large numbers only really goes a few weeks back at this point so their getting a lot more feedback now, but they need to know what to fix so they can fix it.

The more people that buy these cars the faster they'll hopefully be getting feedback to getting it fixed, but you need to make your issues known. I would encourage everyone to not stop contacting the genius line This is we're I'm at *1 (844) 443-6487‬ option 2 then option 7 to make sure that they get all the right feedback. The more that they get the more they'll be able to fix this quickly and simultaneously for all of us. I think that this is happening since the line yesterday had me on hold longer than I wanted to wait.

Where I was on 12/20:
- Couldn't send destinations from the website.
- Couldn't send destination from the app.
- Couldn't use the Apple Watch app.
- Couldn't refresh apps and services, even after rebooting the onboard computer by pressing the volume for 30 seconds.
- Tried resetting the car to factory defaults and running through the Getting Started wizard multiple times, logging in and out of profiles multiple times and still no progress.
- Ironically I could still get a 360 degree pic of the car, remote start it, get traffic info and a few other key features which I'm glad worked when I had to drive 2000 miles.

My current status:

- The weather app suddenly appeared a few days ago. This is encouraging since that means that they can indeed push updates to the cars. Many other people reported this.
- After the weather app showed up I, refreshed apps and services then rebooted the computer system and then refreshed apps and services again. More icons showed up. Others also reported this.
- I can now get addresses from the website.
- I was able to get the 360 degree remote view before the weather app appeared and now I can't.
- I was able to get the destinations from my app and calendar for a day, but that has gone away since Friday evening eastern US time.
- Strangely I was not able to use the Apple Watch app before and now this has changed and started working. It actually started the night before the weather app came back. Still works this morning.
- After all of this I tried to get to the Connected Drive store, but it didn't work, so I repeated the steps above again, logged out of the profile, reset my ConnectedDrive password, etc., but nothing changed.
- Last night I was able to view connecteddrive.bmwusa.com and was going to make address updates to my profile, but it was acting very strange.
- This morning at 8AM eastern I decided to try it again. Noticed the connecteddrive.bmwusa.com site is having massive issues loading and still won't. https://mygarage.bmwusa.com and https://securelogin.bmwusa.com/ also will not load and I can only think that they're updating and fixing bugs across the board right now and that includes the websites.
- The cherry on top of all of this is the hot spot can't be activated. The word on that is that AT&T and BMW USA are in a contract negotiation because AT&T wasn't happy with BMW thinking that they could give all the new X5 G05 data trials like the other vehicles. They're expecting a resolution to this in the coming weeks now that holidays are over.
- I can't speak for what Android users are up against. I'm assuming that they would have trouble with Spotify and other apps not working like the E and F versions of the X5, but I don't know what that user experience is supposed to look like since I have and iPhone and I use CarPlay

Going forward, this is going to be a slow progress to a great experience, but they are working on it. Keep sending them feedback through the telephone support numbers you have for your country and we'll all get the services we want soon when they know what is hurting everyone the most.

In the meantime if you are looking for things on your end that can't hurt trying, keep trying to refresh apps and services, rebooting the computer and working on logging in and out of your profile by switching to Guest then back.

The iDrive 7 is a massive shift in technology for BMW and is a preview of things to come with their cars. These vehicles will only get more connected and digital. Right now, we just all feel like beta testers while they get these glitches fixed. We'll get through it, fam.

Enjoy driving! The car is still awesome.
      01-06-2019, 08:41 AM   #17
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: A car.

Seems like using google maps via Apple Play would solve most issues until they roll out an update.
      01-06-2019, 12:41 PM   #18
Stevoe
Stevoe
United_States
Rep

2019 X5 iDrive???

Just picked up the new '19 X5 and I love the car so far - and the technology is futuristic - BUT, I've made 6 calls to customer support, spoke the 4 geniuses, talked to my dealer 3 times - and I'm STILL having connectivity issues with iDrive, iPhone app and the various controls. Each time I speak with something, they give a vague answer about "BMW is working on the issue.." with no other details or timing information.
-Is this normal with BMW?
-If these tech issues are sketchy, how much faith and security can be places on some of the autonomous features where safety is critical?
-Anyone have a guess on how long it will take BMW to fix/reboot their system?

Thanks - S
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 02:44 PM   #19
Charles549
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevoe View Post
Just picked up the new '19 X5 and I love the car so far - and the technology is futuristic - BUT, I've made 6 calls to customer support, spoke the 4 geniuses, talked to my dealer 3 times - and I'm STILL having connectivity issues with iDrive, iPhone app and the various controls. Each time I speak with something, they give a vague answer about "BMW is working on the issue.." with no other details or timing information.
-Is this normal with BMW?
-If these tech issues are sketchy, how much faith and security can be places on some of the autonomous features where safety is critical?
-Anyone have a guess on how long it will take BMW to fix/reboot their system?

Thanks - S
There is talk of a software update in the first half of January to fix most of the issues.

I've owned a dozen or so generally trouble free BMW's in the past 25 years although none of them had this level of technology. I keep buying them for my wife as she has a strong preference for the BMW driving experience. The guys on this forum say with BMW and a brand new vehicle and new software there are usually a number of bugs that get squashed in the first few months.

Not acceptable I agree, but I think the basic systems feel solid and a lot of the fun but non-essential technology will be enjoyed when they finally fix it.
Appreciate 2
      01-26-2019, 07:00 AM   #20
Bmw2019
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019

Thumbs down 2019 x5 I drive 7

Too many issues to name, connectivity w Android is so limited, no texts, email, remote temp, remote start etc. dash display is so dim during the day it’s hard to read, keyless locking works 90% of the time. App “send destination” is very hard to get working. I’ve owned the car for 30 days, it just came out of Bmw after 5 days of being in shop, before this, they had it 3 days.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 02:54 PM   #21
kerz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F15 50i

I picked mine up on Tuesday, and haven't experienced much of any of this. For Android, I'm using a Pixel 3, and I do see text messages in the notifications. The app is still kinda limited, but hopefully they continue to add features. I've found it to be a huge upgrade over the iDrive in my F15 that I turned in for this.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 09:17 PM   #22
VAbmw
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019

Problem with door open sensor and alarm

We have had our BMW for about one month and had some of the same problems with the connected drive set up. That seems to be working now, but we’ve been getting an error message while driving that says “Driving assistance support reduced”. When we check the system it says everything is OK. More of a nuisance than anything, but wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

Then, a few days ago we were driving with kids in the car and the light came on and the dash said the rear door was open. We pulled over to make sure it was secure and it kept saying the door was open. Eventually by restarting the car it went away, but it popped up again later. Then, after locking the car in our driveway, the alarm went off. It happened a couple of times so we took it to the dealer. They did a system check and could not find anything wrong. Even said they hooked the system up to their folks in Germany. Brought it home after 4 days with the dealer, with nothing done, and the phantom alarm went off again. We don’t think it is a mechanical issue, and think it is a software glitch, but would appreciate hearing from anyone else suddenly experienceing similar problems. We’ll also call this in to the main genius hotline.
Appreciate 0