BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-09-2019, 02:14 PM   #23
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by natahoa View Post
I would love to do this but have searched and can’t find out how. So far Siri works great with my phone in the car, so I can always activate a playlist.

My contacts never uploaded either. I’d love some help on this.
The contacts never upload to the car but rather it uses the ones that are on your phone. Make sure you have the bluetooth connection set to allow the contacts to be used, at least I think that is what needed to be done. I switched last week to CarPlay so I can't check mine out.

If you put all of your songs on a usb stick formatted FAT32 then it should be recognized. Once you choose the USB stick in Media there is an option for importing on the right hand side bar.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 07:31 PM   #24
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
The contacts never upload to the car but rather it uses the ones that are on your phone. Make sure you have the bluetooth connection set to allow the contacts to be used, at least I think that is what needed to be done. I switched last week to CarPlay so I can't check mine out.

If you put all of your songs on a usb stick formatted FAT32 then it should be recognized. Once you choose the USB stick in Media there is an option for importing on the right hand side bar.
Can I use FAT 32 with a Mac? It has been such a long time since I dealt with moving files via USB (and formatting the usb) it will be a maddening learning curve.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 07:38 PM   #25
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Can I use FAT 32 with a Mac? It has been such a long time since I dealt with moving files via USB (and formatting the usb) it will be a maddening learning curve.
Yes, once you put the USB in then go to Disk Utility and then select the USB and Erase it and choose the FAT format. Once that is done just copy the song files you want to import onto the USB drive. I organize mine with a folder for each album like they would show in Finder under iTunes Music tree.

Once they are imported then you can browse by album under the Music Collection. You can request specific albums, artists, songs, etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 08:00 PM   #26
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, once you put the USB in then go to Disk Utility and then select the USB and Erase it and choose the FAT format. Once that is done just copy the song files you want to import onto the USB drive. I organize mine with a folder for each album like they would show in Finder under iTunes Music tree.

Once they are imported then you can browse by album under the Music Collection. You can request specific albums, artists, songs, etc.
Screen shot for future reference. Gotta find a usb drive. We have lots of them around, that I know. Where they are ... anyone’s guess.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 08:02 PM   #27
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

One more thing. Will this work with Apple Music? I own a lot of my music but for about that past year I’ve been using Apple Music. So it is streamed, as opposed to purchased.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 08:20 PM   #28
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
One more thing. Will this work with Apple Music? I own a lot of my music but for about that past year I’ve been using Apple Music. So it is streamed, as opposed to purchased.
You need to have the file in order to move it there. Apple Music can be streamed or downloaded but don't know the details on it.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 06:29 AM   #29
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You need to have the file in order to move it there. Apple Music can be streamed or downloaded but don't know the details on it.
I wish BMW would offer it as an available app. Maybe that will happen someday.

So far I’m happy with the way it works, so I probably shouldn’t mess with it.

The car is perfect. No issues that I can tell. The ONLY thing I’ve had trouble with is connected drive. Which isn’t critical to me. If I can’t get it working I’ll get in touch with Genius at some point.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 11:58 AM   #30
TheHitchhiker
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Not sure but probably not. Apple Music can be used to download the tracks but they will have DRM. It won't play on any device without iTunes or Apple Music app in that case.

However, there are paid tools to remove DRM just for this purpose. You will violate terms and conditions of Apple Music subscription though.

Past: 2016 F10 550i M-Sport ~ 2015 F83 M4 Convertible ~ 2013 F30 335i M-Sport ~ 2006 E85 Z4 30i
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 05:54 AM   #31
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

I own a X7 which of course comes with iDrive 7 and like many of you X5-iDrive 7 owners, I've been experiencing periodic iPhone connection issues. I installed the iOS 13 public beta a week ago and have not experienced a single reconnection issue in more than 50 reconnects. It appears iOS is largely to blame for our reconnection failures since iOS 13 appears to have resolved those issues and BMW hasn't changed anything in iDrive.

The official release of iOS 13 is expected in September.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 07:16 AM   #32
Xeno
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport 5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
I own a X7 which of course comes with iDrive 7 and like many of you X5-iDrive 7 owners, I've been experiencing periodic iPhone connection issues. I installed the iOS 13 public beta a week ago and have not experienced a single reconnection issue in more than 50 reconnects. It appears iOS is largely to blame for our reconnection failures since iOS 13 appears to have resolved those issues and BMW hasn't changed anything in iDrive.

The official release of iOS 13 is expected in September.
My iPhone X is a must-use device and I travel outside the USA (China last up, Germany next).

What are the risks with this beta? Are you using a secondary device? If not, how do you manage the crashes?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 08:15 AM   #33
PhatBoyG
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
My iPhone X is a must-use device and I travel outside the USA (China last up, Germany next).

What are the risks with this beta? Are you using a secondary device? If not, how do you manage the crashes?
Don't install the beta on any device you use regularly.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 08:32 AM   #34
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTF View Post
My XR is running 12.3.1, and working fine. I used CarPlay in other cars, but don't find the need with this X5. Nav works great, downloaded iTunes to hard drive.....don't miss CarPlay.
How did you do that?
I also am not using CarPlay, just Bluetooth or wired connection. But i can’t get anything to download from my phone except contacts.

I realize you have to use a flash drive or something similar, and not a phone to do that (why???) and haven’t tried it yet, but I didn’t realize you could actually download iTunes.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 09:01 AM   #35
GTF
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i, 2023 X1

There are several recent videos on YouTube that guide you through process. One recommended "Export for iTunes" app (w/small fee).
I don't think it is required, but it did make the process easy.
I downloaded about 70 CD's to iTunes, then transferred entire library to Flash drive, then downloaded to the X5 hard drive. Fast & easy.
One thing I appreciate is that I was able to download only those cuts on CD's that I wanted.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 10:22 AM   #36
BUYSELLFIL
NASDAQ
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 M60

iOS 13 - BEWARE for now...

I am a beta tester and got the link for the newest software, iOS 13 the other day. The software was an OTA update and it looks slick. It is VERY glitchy as of now. The integration into iDrive/CarPlay is very nice and the improvements are much needed. Unless you are willing to sacrifice a stable phone I would hold off for now.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 11:06 AM   #37
jasrboyd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i Xdrive

iOS 13 didn’t fix the cc pop up in the charging tray for me. Going back to iOS 12 isn’t as easy as it should be so consider that too if u are thinking about testing it.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 07:08 PM   #38
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You and Marty in Bgm might be able to help on this:
I worked on trying to add music to the car’s hard drive today, using SD cards with a card reader I can put in the USB in the car. Formatted it to fat32, no problem. But the largest card I have handy is 32gig, and it says it is full after I upload less than 10 songs.

MUSt I use a usb stick? Will an sD card work? Is there any way to get more than a few songs on it?

If you think I should start a new thread, let me know. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 07:20 PM   #39
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Quote:
You and Marty in Bgm might be able to help on this:
I worked on trying to add music to the car’s hard drive today, using SD cards with a card reader I can put in the USB in the car. Formatted it to fat32, no problem. But the largest card I have handy is 32gig, and it says it is full after I upload less than 10 songs.

MUSt I use a usb stick? Will an sD card work? Is there any way to get more than a few songs on it?

If you think I should start a new thread, let me know. Thanks in advance!
Sorry, but you lost me. What tells you "it" is full after uploading less than 10 songs - the vehicle or the USB stick? My PC music library is currently just over 60 GB, and that's way more than 200 albums worth of music.

I'm guessing that your 32 GB memory stick is nearly full before you started copying music to it.
      07-04-2019, 09:40 PM   #40
B///MWGuy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i

Garage List
I hope that I could run Google Maps and other apps simultaneously like that. I don't like how Apple optimized the Carplay experience around their own applications (e.g. default Map button opens Apple Maps )
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 07:08 AM   #41
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpitts View Post
Sorry, but you lost me. What tells you "it" is full after uploading less than 10 songs - the vehicle or the USB stick? My PC music library is currently just over 60 GB, and that's way more than 200 albums worth of music.

I'm guessing that your 32 GB memory stick is nearly full before you started copying music to it.
No, the usb stick is freshly formatted to fat32. The usb stick says it is full when I have it attached to my computer.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 10:48 AM   #42
gpitts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

No, the usb stick is freshly formatted to fat32. The usb stick says it is full when I have it attached to my computer.
Can you grab a screen capture of what your computer is showing for the root folder of your USB stick?
      07-05-2019, 11:23 AM   #43
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Can you grab a screen capture of what your computer is showing for the root folder of your USB stick?
Thanks so much!
I had not looked at that, but when I decide to struggle with it again I’ll do that. I rarely sit at my computer. It is a desktop, and normally I sit outside with my iPad.

My guess is that the mp3 files are simply larger than the iTunes files.

I have thousands of downloaded songs on my phone which has a 128gb drive, and they hardly use any space. My iPad only has 32gigs, so it does fill up and I don’t keep a lot of downloaded music on it. I primarily use my phone for music anyway.

I did find some very good instructions online for migrating iTunes files in smaller file format to a usb or other storage device, but it was quite the process.

Just for sh*ts and giggles, I wanted to see if I COULD put music files on the car hard drive, but it isn’t critical for me. Using Apple and iTunes makes it harder for sure. I could create playlists on amazon music also, and then use the app in the car (I think) but it is a lot of trouble.

Siri works great while I’m driving to play specific playlists, and I know I can’t migrate playlists to the car - I’ll have to install the music and then create the playlists again on the car drive.

Correct me, I’d love to be wrong about this!

This is similar to the way my Bose and Sonos sound systems work - they can play Apple Music files, and store the songs, but not playlists, which take forever to build.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 11:50 AM   #44
gpitts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks so much!
I had not looked at that, but when I decide to struggle with it again I’ll do that. I rarely sit at my computer. It is a desktop, and normally I sit outside with my iPad.

My guess is that the mp3 files are simply larger than the iTunes files.

I have thousands of downloaded songs on my phone which has a 128gb drive, and they hardly use any space. My iPad only has 32gigs, so it does fill up and I don’t keep a lot of downloaded music on it. I primarily use my phone for music anyway.

I did find some very good instructions online for migrating iTunes files in smaller file format to a usb or other storage device, but it was quite the process.

Just for sh*ts and giggles, I wanted to see if I COULD put music files on the car hard drive, but it isn’t critical for me. Using Apple and iTunes makes it harder for sure. I could create playlists on amazon music also, and then use the app in the car (I think) but it is a lot of trouble.

Siri works great while I’m driving to play specific playlists, and I know I can’t migrate playlists to the car - I’ll have to install the music and then create the playlists again on the car drive.

Correct me, I’d love to be wrong about this!

This is similar to the way my Bose and Sonos sound systems work - they can play Apple Music files, and store the songs, but not playlists, which take forever to build.
I haven't yet downloaded music onto my X5, but on the previous X5 the metadata from the music files (artist, album, etc) were carried over to the vehicle. That allows for searching by artist, album, etc. I've never tried to create a playlist, as I'm rarely in the car longer than a few tracks of audio.

Here's a screen capture from my machine - a 2 album set ripped at 160 kbps per channel sample rate (higher than iTunes for sure). 313 MB. So by that metric you should be good for ~200 albums on a 32GB memory stick (your mileage may vary). I think there may be something on your USB stick that may not be apparent.
Attached Images

Last edited by gpitts; 07-05-2019 at 11:56 AM..
Appreciate 1
natahoa252.00