BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-04-2019, 09:42 AM   #1
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Anyone else notice this?

I noticed something odd (to me) yesterday. As I was out driving around the temp was well into 105's and had the car parked in a lot direct sun. When I got in (forgot to hit remote start) I noticed the AC which I leave in auto was running full blast. Thought nothing abnormal until I hit the freeway and it was cooling down quiet a bit to my target temp of 70. As the fan speed went low I noticed that the indicator does not move to represent the speed of the fan. Bit of a background here, every morning I wake up go to the gym around 4:30-5am, I always leave the fan speed set to the lowest setting and at 70 sync with all. I realized I never touch the buttons and the car just simply takes care of it quiet well for me, but never see the fan speed indicators move. Is that normal in a BMW?
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 09:47 AM   #2
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

I think it is in “max cool down” mode with such high temps.
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2019, 03:45 PM   #3
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
If it's on "Auto" it will use whatever fan speed (within reason) needed to reach your desired temp. I leave mine on low and usually level 2-3, not Auto unless I want it to cool down much faster and/or it's very hot.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 06:15 PM   #4
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
I noticed something odd (to me) yesterday...As the fan speed went low I noticed that the indicator does not move to represent the speed of the fan.... I always leave the fan speed set to the lowest setting and at 70 sync with all. I realized I never touch the buttons and the car just simply takes care of it quiet well for me, but never see the fan speed indicators move. Is that normal in a BMW?
They do not indicate current fan speed, instead indicating which maximum fan speed you have selected. When in auto, the system will automatically vary the fan speed up to this selected maximum.

Related, when you select "MAX", the system sets this to the maximum, which will be indicated, along with setting the temperature to the minimum to drive the system to its maximum cooling capacity. Turning MAX off will resume the previous settings.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 12:25 PM   #5
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

I'm not familiar with the G05 IHKA control panel...but in past BMWs that had the IHKA...not only can the air directions be in AUTO mode...but the HVAC blower can also be in "auto" or "manual" mode.

In the past BMW models...if you press the AUTO button, it puts both air direction and blower in AUTO mode. If you press the fan speed buttons, this will take the blower out of auto mode and put it in manual mode...in this case...the word "AUTO" disappears from the fan speed display...and it acts like you described.

If the G05 is like past BMWs...perhaps you will see the fan speed display increase/decrease if you leave it (the blower) in AUTO mode by NOT putting it in manual mode (even though the IHKA will continue to do its thing in making adjustments to maintain the cabin at the selected temperature on the display).

There is also a solar sensor that will make the system adjust using a "Y" factor:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 01:43 PM   #6
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
I'm not familiar with the G05 IHKA control panel...but in past BMWs that had the IHKA...not only can the air directions be in AUTO mode...but the HVAC blower can also be in "auto" or "manual" mode.

In the past BMW models...if you press the AUTO button, it puts both air direction and blower in AUTO mode. If you press the fan speed buttons, this will take the blower out of auto mode and put it in manual mode...in this case...the word "AUTO" disappears from the fan speed display...and it acts like you described.

If the G05 is like past BMWs...perhaps you will see the fan speed display increase/decrease if you leave it (the blower) in AUTO mode by NOT putting it in manual mode (even though the IHKA will continue to do its thing in making adjustments to maintain the cabin at the selected temperature on the display).

There is also a solar sensor that will make the system adjust using a "Y" factor:

I leave it in auto and do not adjust manually at all. It adjusts very rapidly and maintains my set temp very well. I'm just wondering if the fan speed adjusts auto why it doesn't actually show the speed the fan is running on the display. If it is sitting in a parking lot sun beating down when I first start it blows at MAX but only indicates at my last set value, as the car cools it slows the fan down as needed. I think it works very well just curious if it was supposed too or not show the fan speed in the display.
2015 M235 Manual
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 07:53 AM   #7
smovva
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
I leave it in auto and do not adjust manually at all. It adjusts very rapidly and maintains my set temp very well. I'm just wondering if the fan speed adjusts auto why it doesn't actually show the speed the fan is running on the display. If it is sitting in a parking lot sun beating down when I first start it blows at MAX but only indicates at my last set value, as the car cools it slows the fan down as needed. I think it works very well just curious if it was supposed too or not show the fan speed in the display.
In mine (2019.60 S/W), the fan speed indicator does not go up or down in Auto mode to show current fan speed either. It stays at the last manually set position, but the word "Auto" shows up and fan speed changes as it needs to.

I think it was just a software design choice/oversight to not display the current speed level while in Auto mode...
Appreciate 1
Tenac4538.50
      07-08-2019, 09:12 AM   #8
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by smovva View Post
In mine (2019.60 S/W), the fan speed indicator does not go up or down in Auto mode to show current fan speed either. It stays at the last manually set position, but the word "Auto" shows up and fan speed changes as it needs to.

I think it was just a software design choice/oversight to not display the current speed level while in Auto mode...
Every car I've owned, when in AUTO mode, the fan speed indicator disappears. Honestly, that's how I would prefer it. It would annoy me to have the fan speed showing 3 when it's blowing much faster than that. If it's not accurate, than just don't show it.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 09:46 AM   #9
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Every car I've owned, when in AUTO mode, the fan speed indicator disappears. Honestly, that's how I would prefer it. It would annoy me to have the fan speed showing 3 when it's blowing much faster than that. If it's not accurate, than just don't show it.
huh good POV... I think that might get annoying now that I think about it always going up and down... LOL... I was hoping my screen or another Idrive bug wasn't the issue I was seeing. Thanks all for the responses!!
2015 M235 Manual
Appreciate 0