07-05-2019, 11:42 AM   #1
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Contact your wireless provider?

Just read through the Infotainment manual, and there is a section that discusses a booster in the vehicle for wireless reception. It also describes a need to contact your wireless provider to get permission to use said booster, on penalty of...something, and that the FCC might come to your home and take away your birthday. I've never had to do that for any other vehicle, but perhaps they didn't have a "booster." This would be easy to miss on a quick read of the manual. Is this really a "thing?"
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 03:57 PM   #2
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
You think BMW is difficult to deal with?
Jump from frying pan to fire if you start up with your cell provider.

They DO have boosters for homes. We tried that in a last-ditch effort to keep Verizon. They gave it to us for free. Worked ok if you sat frozen in one place, but the call would drop as soon as you bent down to scratch your butt.

So we switched to At&T. Horrible service most everywhere, but at least we can get texts here.

But I have nearby neighbors who have worked at home for years using a Verizon booster, which they paid for. They do tend to sit in one place when they work and are on the phone. So it seems to work for them.

Maybe they are talking about those little boosters you could buy for the Startak that you snuggled inside the phone next to the battery? Looked like a little wire. I swear I saw one of those advertised the other day.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 04:00 PM   #3
ElectroGeek
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by natahoa View Post
You think BMW is difficult to deal with?
Jump from frying pan to fire if you start up with your cell provider.

They DO have boosters for homes. We tried that in a last-ditch effort to keep Verizon. They gave it to us for free. Worked ok if you sat frozen in one place, but the call would drop as soon as you bent down to scratch your butt.

So we switched to At&T. Horrible service most everywhere, but at least we can get texts here.

But I have nearby neighbors who have worked at home for years using a Verizon booster, which they paid for. They do tend to sit in one place when they work and are on the phone. So it seems to work for them.

Maybe they are talking about those little boosters you could buy for the Startak that you snuggled inside the phone next to the battery? Looked like a little wire. I swear I saw one of those advertised the other day.
get a Verizon or AT&T Mini Cell site, about 350$ connects to your home Internet. Works REALLY WELL..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 04:04 PM   #4
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroGeek View Post
get a Verizon or AT&T Mini Cell site, about 350$ connects to your home Internet. Works REALLY WELL..
My solution was to get the internet home phone line, which transfers to my cell phone, even if I’m not at home. Only a few people have that number, which is okay because
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 05:21 PM   #5
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Probably wasn't clear in my question. Here's the reference from the iDrive 7.0 Navigation manual. This appears to be something installed in the car by BMW, in conjunction with wireless charging that you need permission from your wireless provider to use:

LTE-Compensator - Information and User Manual

Your car is equipped with a wireless charging tray (WCA) to charge your mobile phone and connect it to the mobile network. To ensure the best possible connection a signal booster (LTE- Compensator) is used in conjunction with the WCA. The following paragraphs refer to this booster:

This is a CONSUMER device. BEFORE USE, you MUST REGISTER THIS DEVICE with your wireless provider and have your provider´s consent. Most wireless providers consent to the use of Compensators. Some providers may not consent to the use of this device on their network. If you are unsure, contact your provider. You MUST operate this device with approved antennas and cables as specified by the manufacturer. Antennas MUST be installed at least 20 cm (8 inches) from any person. You MUST cease operating this device immediately if requested by the FCC or a licensed wireless service provider. WARNING E911 location information may not be provided or may be inaccurate for calls served by using this device.

This is the rest of that section:

Please observe additionally the following information
▷ Sprint Nextel will allow consumers to register
their signal boosters by calling their toll-free
number.
▷ T-Mobile online registration link: (www.T-Mo‐
bile.com/BoosterRegistration); (https://saqat.t-
mobile.com/sites/SignalBooster#).
▷ Verizon’s online registration link: (http://
www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/consumer/
register-signal-booster.html).
▷ AT&T online registration link (https://
securec45.securewebsession.com/attsignal‐
booster.com/).
▷ U.S.Cellular online registration link (http://
www.uscellular.com/uscellular/support/fcc-
booster-registration.jsp).

Before use you must register your booster device with your wireless provider.
If you should be requested by the FCC to cease operating your booster you are not allowed to insert your mobile phone in the charging tray anymore unless the booster is permanently deactivated by your local BMW dealer.
You must not remove the booster from the car nor use it with any other than the preinstalled coupling device or antenna. Any modification of the existing antenna or coupling device as well as the use of other antennas or coupling devices
will cause the cease of the booster´s operating license. The booster device fulfills the network protection standards as required by the FCC, such as intermodulation limits, oscillation detection and gain limits.

Booster Manufacturer: Kathrein Automotive
Model Number: LTECOMPB0
Part Number: 6803145-01
FCC-ID: 2ACC7LTECOMPB0

Last edited by Paladin1; 07-05-2019 at 05:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 05:48 PM   #6
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
Probably wasn't clear in my question. Here's the reference from the iDrive 7.0 Navigation manual. This appears to be something installed in the car by BMW, in conjunction with wireless charging that you need permission from your wireless provider to use:

LTE-Compensator - Information and User Manual

Your car is equipped with a wireless charging tray (WCA) to charge your mobile phone and connect it to the mobile network. To ensure the best possible connection a signal booster (LTE- Compensator) is used in conjunction with the WCA. The following paragraphs refer to this booster:

This is a CONSUMER device. BEFORE USE, you MUST REGISTER THIS DEVICE with your wireless provider and have your provider´s consent. Most wireless providers consent to the use of Compensators. Some providers may not consent to the use of this device on their network. If you are unsure, contact your provider. You MUST operate this device with approved antennas and cables as specified by the manufacturer. Antennas MUST be installed at least 20 cm (8 inches) from any person. You MUST cease operating this device immediately if requested by the FCC or a licensed wireless service provider. WARNING E911 location information may not be provided or may be inaccurate for calls served by using this device.
This is a feature. Search the forum and you'll find thread with users explaining the process of enabling it.
Appreciate 1
Paladin15513.50
      07-05-2019, 05:58 PM   #7
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by russelldav View Post
This is a feature. Search the forum and you'll find thread with users explaining the process of enabling it.
Thanks! Having dealt with our local Sprint provider, I am imagining a scenario of a long pause on the other end of the line and a telephonic blank look. But we shall see; good to know and guarded optimism.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 06:00 PM   #8
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks! Having dealt with our local Sprint provider, I am imagining a scenario of a long pause on the other end of the line and a telephonic blank look. But we shall see; good to know and guarded optimism.
Yeah, good luck!

Here you go: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1564175
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 06:08 PM   #9
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks again! Looks like the info needed is at the end of the section in the manual to register whatever device this is....
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 07:31 PM   #10
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, good luck!

So russelldav, CRTC doesn't care then for us Canadians? :-) Or we just don't have the feature to enable at all, like spare tires or acoustic glass?

Also wondering what infinitesimally small percentage of US owners have actually gone through this process?
      07-05-2019, 07:49 PM   #11
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, good luck!

So russelldav, CRTC doesn't care then for us Canadians? :-) Or we just don't have the feature to enable at all, like spare tires or acoustic glass?

Also wondering what infinitesimally small percentage of US owners have actually gone through this process?
I have never noticed the cellular speed drop below LTE but then again I live in Vancouver. Perhaps it's more useful in the boonies.

But yeah, annoying we don't get it!
Appreciate 0