07-05-2019, 06:40 PM   #1
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Poll for known issues proposal

It will be great that some experienced user could post a multiple-choice Poll with a complete list of all known issues of the X5-G05 in order to get to know which of the problems or issues are more common and which are not.

I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on a 2020 G05 (custom ordered) but every time I visit this forum, I read all the issues this car is having that could end as a deal breaker, and the list never ends.....

The car I'm building will end up costing me $128k US dollars, it is a 30d M Sport loaded with options, so paying such amount of money and deal with so many issues makes me feel very confused....
      07-05-2019, 07:04 PM   #2
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
I don't know if a poll here is going to get and stay organized enough to be of value. But your proposal gives me an idea ...

... I keep bitching here and at BMW and at my dealer that they don't have an organized ticketing system. Well, maybe we should build one for them, the arrogant sods! Then we can collect frequency, details, pictures, additional observations, software versions, locations, workarounds, etc. And then those issues could be referenced explicitly and pointed at by customers to other customers, to dealers, and to the royals themselves, BMW.

I am going to do a bit of research on this. I suspect we won't have too much difficulty finding a FOSS system as a base for this, but to do a good setup and operating job (an only job worth doing), it would take some time and effort. I may not have the time to fully see this through. Anyone else serious and experienced wants to help?
      07-05-2019, 07:24 PM   #3
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
I think you will see similar reports in any forum for any car. This or any other forum is a very small percentage of total owners, and those who participate are highly tuned to all of the nuances of the brand and/or car.

The vast majority of complaints are for iDrive, which is hard to use and the documentation is not great. Most of these complaints are human error. It is nice to have this forum of such knowledgeable people who often know immediately what the problem is and can help you fix it.

For the most part people here have reported very few major engineering problems. The cars drive great with no real reliability problems. IDrive issues are annoying, but generally not incapacitating.

However, I think paying more than twice the base price for this car may not be wise. If you don’t care about the long-term resale value, that is okay. If you do, lots of other cars in that price range will potentially have much better resale/trade value, because people expect to pay that much for that particular car.

The used value of an X5 will always be affected by the initial base price. $59k for 40i, or $74k for the 50i, but even there I’m not sure the higher price of the motor will be reflected at resale time.

You can get a lemon with any brand or model car. It is impossible to avoid all risk in that regard. I think that is why a lot of people buy newer used cars. Costs less and someone else got the kinks out of it. Still a risk, but at a lower cost.

If money is no object, and this is the car you want, it is the best car for you, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 07:33 PM   #4
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
I don't know if a poll here is going to get and stay organized enough to be of value. But your proposal gives me an idea ...
... issues could be referenced explicitly and pointed at by customers to other customers, to dealers, and to the royals themselves, BMW.

I am going to do a bit of research on this. I suspect we won't have too much difficulty finding a FOSS system as a base for this, but to do a good setup and operating job (an only job worth doing), it would take some time and effort. I may not have the time to fully see this through. Anyone else serious and experienced wants to help?
That sounds expensive, and might be as difficult to manage and keep running as iDrive. Great idea, but probably not practical.

If you could somehow abscond with a similar system used by another car brand, that might work plug-and-play, but someone will end up in jail.

Maybe if the CCA gets a major donation they would administer some sort of complaint/resolutions tracking system. At that point, BMW would have a lot more organized facts at hand, and most likely still refuse to respond to owners and users.

Another strategy would get the German or US government involved to require all auto makers provide such a system owners could use. Sorta like a no-fee consumer reports on steroids.

Good luck getting anywhere with that in the populist era.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 09:10 PM   #5
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by natahoa View Post
However, I think paying more than twice the base price for this car may not be wise. If you don't care about the long-term resale value, that is okay. If you do, lots of other cars in that price range will potentially have much better resale/trade value, because people expect to pay that much for that particular car.
If you check his profile, he lives in Costa Rica. X5s are exponentially more expensive outside of the United States.

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 09:32 PM   #6
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
If you check his profile, he lives in Costa Rica. X5s are exponentially more expensive outside of the United States.
Good to know. I hadn’t noticed.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 10:59 PM   #7
magna6882
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 audi q7

The problems do seem to be limited to the idrive system. I would think it would be hard to track problems since there have been so many updates and in some cases the kfus camera has shown defective giving poor data.
I bought the x5 50i for the engine. Its a fun car to drive and the way i drive it 11mpg is a good day.I dont pay much attention to the idrive portion but do see things come and go. Some weeks its real finicky and then its ok for a few. I do think its mechanically reliable and would have no hesitation taking a cross country trip but would not rely on the nav.
My first bmw and i think it will be my last. I am happy with my car but i would not own this without the v8 and dhp.
I dont like they way bmw has handled the software issues and there lack of providing any information to there customers. Service managers are not informed and everyone wants to pretend nothing is wrong. I dont have a problem with glitches just recognize them and tell us your working on it.
Appreciate 2
LexxM31697.50
gpitts247.00
      07-06-2019, 01:38 AM   #8
thomas_Rp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 G05; 535 F10

Quote:

... I keep bitching here and at BMW and at my dealer that they don't have an organized ticketing system. Well, maybe we should build one for them, the arrogant sods! Then we can collect frequency, details, pictures, additional observations, software versions, locations, workarounds, etc. And then those issues could be referenced explicitly and pointed at by customers to other customers, to dealers, and to the royals themselves, BMW.

There are several but BMW has to be willing to pay for it.
Here is an example of one used by Microsoft - UserVoice: https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/3...op-application
Appreciate 1
LexxM31697.50
      07-06-2019, 10:57 AM   #9
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

For a 128k price that I would buy the M8 Convertible.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 11:00 AM   #10
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
... I keep bitching here and at BMW and at my dealer that they don't have an organized ticketing system.
What do you mean by organized ticketing system? Like their work orders? Or a customer facing portion to insert said work order?
2015 M235 Manual
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 11:26 AM   #11
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Quote:
... I keep bitching here and at BMW and at my dealer that they don't have an organized ticketing system.
What do you mean by organized ticketing system? Like their work orders? Or a customer facing portion to insert said work order?
No, not like work order system. Work order systems work for unique transactional mechanical repairs, but are completely wrong for reporting, tracking, and fixing software bugs at scale (except as the very last step when the specific fix is assigned to a specific engineer at BMW, which we will obviously won't be doing and don't need as a capability).

This is a unique situation. What I am proposing would normally be operated by the vendor to gather complex product feedback from customers, but BMW is currently too dumbass to have done it. So emulating something useful and cost effective that is customer driven, rather than vendor, is not a ready to use system.

As someone suggested, Uservoice customer feedback system is closer to what is needed here than a real software bug tracking system like Jira, etc. Uservoice is not going to happen however as their pricing is definitely targeting vendors like BMW rather than any customer group. But it's an example.

As I said, I just started to research what this should look like.
      07-06-2019, 12:09 PM   #12
mnx5er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 3.5i

OP, hopefully your dealer is keeping track of the common issues in the X5 and X7. They are tricky to keep track of since the software in the car is continually updated.

I'll be talking to my SA soon to see where things are at. I just had my front driver inside door lock switch decide to push into the door - so time for a trip.

The common issues that I am aware of:

1. Drivers assistance errors - originally thought to be camera issues and later determined to be software. My dealer saw this in nearly every X5 and X7 and expects a fix
2. Cold weather steering - is supposed to be fixed via software
3. Wireless charger - some (like mine) do not charge. Apple also has bug with NFC/Apple Pay
4. iDrive oddities including bluetooth, CarPlay, navigation, etc. All slowly getting fixed.

Mechanically, the issues seem to be pretty random so far and that is a good thing.

I am not a BMW apologist, they should be more open about the known issues and addressing them. My wife's Hyundai Kona is way more stable electronically and ironically has many of the same features.

Would I buy the current X5? Yes. Just expect some continued teething issues with the electronics.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 12:14 PM   #13
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Create a poll feature on this forum

I see there's an option to create a poll when creating a new thread. This appears to simply be a very basic multiple choice poll that only allows someone to click a box so to speak. Certainly no where near as sophisticated as what LexxM3 is referring to but maybe it speaks to the OP's question though I think you can only click one box no matter how many issues you have.
I played around with it a bit but under "Preview Post", it doesn't seem to do anything and I didn't want to create a new thread just to test it. Anyone know how it works? I have accumulated around 50 issues from this form that could be used.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 01:46 PM   #14
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep

I'm positive that BMW system tracks issues and even down to accounting for how many times something has been in for X problem. I think what is missing is as customers we don't have access to view a list of problems. Their internal system will track that. My dealer has a record of every time my X5 has been there and has shown me this, its only a couple times as of now but it shows reason and time spent. The meta data from that can easily be pulled to show anything that in entered at time of service.
2015 M235 Manual
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 02:22 PM   #15
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Really? That's awesome. Can you please ask your dealer for me when the bug that fails to switch the camera from reverse to front views when you switch gear from reverse to drive is going to be fixed on my car? That would be awesome!
Don't think it will ever be fixed as I think it is by design. This has been the behaviour for all my previous BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 02:30 PM   #16
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
Quote:
Really? That's awesome. Can you please ask your dealer for me when the bug that fails to switch the camera from reverse to front views when you switch gear from reverse to drive is going to be fixed on my car? That would be awesome!
Don't think it will ever be fixed as I think it is by design. This has been the behaviour for all my previous BMWs.
Bugs come in multiple forms, including bad design. This isn't my first car with cameras, but it is my first bimmer with cameras and this "design" (if it is that, it's all conjecture) is simply stupid and unsafe; other cars all got it right without even trying. The fact that it was a bad design in the past doesn't change that. Also, to be clear, my pithy sarcastic summary didn't go into around 5-6 forms of this bug, some of which are clearly corner case implementation bugs, not intended design; but this isn't the thread for that level of detail.

In fact, getting a bit back on topic, if BMW had heard from customers in the past that it was a bad design, maybe we wouldn't be talking about it still. But how can they hear that? They have no way to collect this level of data and no, the dealers are not it.
      07-07-2019, 01:33 PM   #17
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by natahoa View Post
Good to know. I hadn’t noticed.
Not only exponentially expensive, depreciation here is crazy, my 2016 F15 (fully loaded) cost me around $125k, market price today $60k since people here don't pay more for options.....and now with the new G05 what would be my resale price on Dec 2020 when my 5 year lease expires....