01-15-2020, 09:25 AM   #23
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
I don't think these "Engine Sounds" (ES?) and ASD (Active Sound Design) are the same thing on the G05 X5. In coding, they don't appear in the same ECUs and don't have the same naming patterns. See my thread attempting to find coding for x40i for these here:

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1666087

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25520196

As such, it may be that in ASD vs ES, one may be more or less fake than the other. At least for ASD, I decided to leave it on as it sounds pretty authentic, just more (at speed or with stereo on): https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25495306
      01-16-2020, 10:53 AM   #24
dwjpaypal
Private
Rep
Drives: G05

Just wanted to confirm what you are actually hearing here.

This is NOT engine noise pumped into the internal speakers, this is fake engine noise pumped to a speaker thats actually under the car- well in my case it certainly is, with the M-Sport Plus exhaust in the UK.

Behind the back box under the car there is a large metal ball, this is a carbon fibre speaker housed in metal. When you change the exhaust sound from the iDrive the speaker changes it's tone based on what you have selected. This is all integrated into the CANBUS system in the car, so is responsive based on the gas pedal movements.

How do I know this? Well there's a company called Cete Automotive that have produced a box you can plus in between your CANBUS and the speaker and this gives you full app control over the sound of your car. I fitted this to my G05 before X-Mas and it's honestly completely changed the experience of owning a diesel car.

This thread has reminded me- I must remember to upload a video soon!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 01:40 PM   #25
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwjpaypal View Post

This is NOT engine noise pumped into the internal speakers, this is fake engine noise pumped to a speaker thats actually under the car- well in my case it certainly is, with the M-Sport Plus exhaust in the UK.

Behind the back box under the car there is a large metal ball, this is a carbon fibre speaker housed in metal. When you change the exhaust sound from the iDrive the speaker changes it's tone based on what you have selected. This is all integrated into the CANBUS system in the car, so is responsive based on the gas pedal movements.

How do I know this? Well there's a company called Cete Automotive that have produced a box you can plus in between your CANBUS and the speaker and this gives you full app control over the sound of your car. I fitted this to my G05 before X-Mas and it's honestly completely changed the experience of owning a diesel car.

I'd love to see it!
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2020, 01:47 PM   #26
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:

When you say "this", do you mean ES that so far only seems to be functional on the V8 G05s, or do you mean ASD that seems to be present on all G05?

If you mean ES, then that would certainly explain why I have not been able to find coding for 40i so far.

Pretty sure ASD, however, is the inside speakers.
      01-20-2020, 11:56 AM   #27
dwjpaypal
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
When you say "this", do you mean ES that so far only seems to be functional on the V8 G05s, or do you mean ASD that seems to be present on all G05?

If you mean ES, then that would certainly explain why I have not been able to find coding for 40i so far.

Pretty sure ASD, however, is the inside speakers.
Sorry for slow reply.

By "this", I mean the engine sound thats not actually engine sound, rather it's an external speaker under the car.

Still not had opp to record (will do tonight), but for reference here is a pic of my external speaker that the sound comes from...

Appreciate 2
LexxM31698.50
Cooltones241.00
      01-20-2020, 12:03 PM   #28
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Sorry for slow reply.

By "this", I mean the engine sound thats not actually engine sound, rather it's an external speaker under the car.

Still not had opp to record (will do tonight), but for reference here is a pic of my external speaker that the sound comes from...

[img]https://i.ibb.co/f2MssjN/IMG-4054.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.ibb.co/LgCVz6n/IMG-4051.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.ibb.co/XVr0ybm/IMG-4050.jpg[/img]
I think we've seen these pics before, but you've included the product marking details that help tremendously!

Here is the manufacturer blurb that discussed it: https://www.eberspaecher.com/en/prod...novations.html

Seems primary purpose is actually to quiet the car through active sound cancellation. Hence the ActiveSilence name, since otherwise it would be ironic. So perhaps ES set to the cute "Sporty" (as in "Spice") mode rather turns off the ActiveSilence cancellation, rather than enhance it with a speaker?
Appreciate 2
hkleyman135.00
Cooltones241.00
      01-20-2020, 05:31 PM   #29
dwjpaypal
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Quote:
Sorry for slow reply.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/f2MssjN/IMG-4054.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.ibb.co/LgCVz6n/IMG-4051.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.ibb.co/XVr0ybm/IMG-4050.jpg[/img]
I think we've seen these pics before, but you've included the product marking details that help tremendously!

Here is the manufacturer blurb that discussed it: https://www.eberspaecher.com/en/prod...novations.html

Seems primary purpose is actually to quiet the car through active sound cancellation. Hence the ActiveSilence name, since otherwise it would be ironic. So perhaps ES set to the cute "Sporty" (as in "Spice") mode rather turns off the ActiveSilence cancellation, rather than enhance it with a speaker?
Ok, so as promised I've done a couple of YouTube clips.

Please bear in mind these were done with an iPhone so not ideal and a lot of wind noise.

You are correct in regards to their initial purpose, it's to meet the emissions regulations and reduce the amount of back box required they can actually cancel out original engine noise. Where I don't think you're correct is that it simply turns itself off for sports mode, it is actually pushing a sporty note through the speaker.

Cete Automotive realised this and have produced a box that sits between the speaker and the canbus and replaced the standard signal, allowing you to tune your engine to sound however you like.

For example, my car is a 30d but can be set to sound like a V8 or v12 as I see fit.

Please see videos below, hope it adds context.

FYI- when I press the DSC button it allows switching between the different sound modes to give you an idea of the sounds available.

For me, this has completely changed the driving enjoyment of the car and 6 weeks in is still puts a smile on my face every time I go for a drive!
Appreciate 2
X5_CC288.50
Cooltones241.00
      01-20-2020, 06:29 PM   #30
mhodx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i ordered

Thanks for posting these. I agree with you the enhanced sound makes the drive more enjoyable. Almost feels like you're driving a manual car.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 09:10 PM   #31
scotchy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

It sounds different outside of the car too??
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 03:51 AM   #32
dwjpaypal
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchy View Post
It sounds different outside of the car too??
I'm not sure if you read any of my posts, the sound is generated from a speaker outside the car. The sound is outside the car, no interior speaker noise.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 06:31 AM   #33
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i, 2020 Alfa 4C

Wait a second...... hold up..... I'm missing something.

I get the Active sound - that is fake engine sound coming through the speakers inside the car.

WTF is this external speaker? Will my car have a speaker underneath it, that pumps out fake engine noise for people outside the car to hear???

Is this external speaker just on Diesel cars?

What am I missing?
6-Piston/4-piston BBK:https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2097342
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 07:11 AM   #34
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e 2020

Maybe it’s also used on the 45e for the pedestrian warning sound at low speeds? Would be nice to change this with coding.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 08:45 AM   #35
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

I sincerely hope that the M Sport exhaust that I optioned on my 40i isn't just a tune of the external speaker...
Appreciate 1
1230vani652.50
      01-21-2020, 08:53 AM   #36
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas View Post
I sincerely hope that the M Sport exhaust that I optioned on my 40i isn't just a tune of the external speaker...
In the noise-cancelling mode, this speaker actually allows a more aggressive exhaust without sounding like one. Read the description: https://www.eberspaecher.com/en/prod...novations.html

In sound enhancement mode (if there is one, but sound like there is), it seems to enhance and sounds pretty good from the videos. This isn't some kid's recording of "wroom, wroom" playing back :-)

But in any case, it doesn't seem like the 40i has one. 40i does have ASD, however, that can be coded off.
      01-21-2020, 09:46 AM   #37
dwjpaypal
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post

I get the Active sound - that is fake engine sound coming through the speakers inside the car.

WTF is this external speaker? Will my car have a speaker underneath it, that pumps out fake engine noise for people outside the car to hear???

What am I missing?
This is a speaker outside the car, just like an exhaust is outside the car, the noise is outside the car. It's a noise, thats outside.

I don't know how else I can phrase this so as to ensure everyone understands. This is outside, not inside. It is a speaker. It's outside.

This is as standard on any car with the "Msport Plus" option in the UK, diesel or petrol.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 10:02 AM   #38
scotchy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post

What am I missing?
This is a speaker outside the car, just like an exhaust is outside the car, the noise is outside the car. It's a noise, thats outside.

I don't know how else I can phrase this so as to ensure everyone understands. This is outside, not inside. It is a speaker. It's outside.

This is as standard on any car with the "Msport Plus" option in the UK, diesel or petrol.
Lol. I think all of the people asking, like myself, did read your explanation, myself the link as well, but are still somewhat dumbfounded and in disbelief.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 10:09 AM   #39
scotchy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm hoping/assuming it's not the case too. Sport exhaust just equals sport external speaker. lol.

Somewhat unrelated (or possibly not?) but I do find it interesting how many cars from various manufacturers offer a sport exhaust but you hardly ever see different power claims for said exhaust. It used to be years ago that a sport, free flowing exhaust offered more power gains. While I know there are actual physical differences between stock/sport exhausts, it's odd to me that there aren't any "adds X hp" or anything.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 10:14 AM   #40
dwjpaypal
Private
Rep

Quote:
If it's anything like the UK variant, it is just the addition of the external speaker. I think you also get a valve flap, but that doesn't make that much of difference to the note/volume.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 03:13 PM   #41
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

Quote:
If it's anything like the UK variant, it is just the addition of the external speaker. I think you also get a valve flap, but that doesn't make that much of difference to the note/volume.
So no change to the actual exhaust system itself? If that's true, then I'm going to have a word with my sales guy and get my money back or get a deep discount on the M performance exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 03:14 PM   #42
kamilkoc
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 GO5 (ordered)

Are those settings available to diesel models with EU MSport package (without M sport exhaust)?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 07:48 AM   #43
JoseSportM
JoseSportM
Rep
Drives: BMW G42

I changed the sound to sporty and now I can not find the menu LOL
It was there one day, now I'm not able to change the sound..... I thought was a key feature but no. Doesn't appear in both keys..

AS failure?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 09:01 AM   #44
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Hmmm this will be getting turned off when mine is delivered. Sounds just like on the M4 and M5 and essentially piped into the car plus an external noise maker. Pointless.
Appreciate 0