BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-05-2020, 12:47 PM   #1
Mlgatl
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i 2020

X5 refresh

Hi. Does anyone have any information on when the next X5 refresh will come? I have heard some mention of April. I’m about to order and wondering if I should wait.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 12:54 PM   #2
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

It won’t be for awhile. All brand new last year.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 01:18 PM   #3
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Refresh is probably a few years off. Are you maybe referring to the leather color options that will be coming back in April?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 02:20 PM   #4
Mlgatl
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Refresh is probably a few years off. Are you maybe referring to the leather color options that will be coming back in April?
Potentially. Any information on that?

My dealer just confirmed I can order Cognac in the basic leather. He is checking on Tartufo.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 02:33 PM   #5
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlgatl View Post

My dealer just confirmed I can order Cognac in the basic leather. He is checking on Tartufo.
Yes, Canberra and Tartufo will be available starting in April.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 02:44 PM   #6
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

AFAIK, BMW is still working on a 7 year model cycle with the LCI ('refresh') at around 3.5 years. Don't expect any sort of refresh after 18 months from new model launch.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 02:48 PM   #7
sjak92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 30d MY24 + G20 M340i MY24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
AFAIK, BMW is still working on a 7 year model cycle with the LCI ('refresh') at around 3.5 years. Don't expect any sort of refresh after 18 months from new model launch.
Not even 18 months. Launch December 2018 so barely 15 months in. Wouldn't expect an LCI before summer 2022
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 03:57 PM   #8
kkratochvil
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW, X6, M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlgatl View Post

Just check out the sticky thread relating to Ordering/Pricing Guides in the Pricing, Ordering, Tracking Forum. That's where everyone posts updated Ordering/Pricing details!

Here's direct links to the current versions of the Guides:
- Ordering Guide: https://batxcr1.bmwcenternet.com/lib...eringGuide.pdf
- Pricing Guide: https://batxcr1.bmwcenternet.com/lib...ide_Retail.pdf

And I agree with everyone else...you won't see anything beyond subtle changes in leather, paints, interior trims, maybe rims, etc., until the LCI or a full new model. Given we're just 18 months in on the G05, it's likely at least 2021/2022 for an LCI or they could do like they did when they shifted from the F15/F16 to the G05/G06 and just do 5 years without an LCI and then do a full revision. It's anybody's guess...

Last edited by kkratochvil; 03-05-2020 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: Mispelling!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 03:58 PM   #9
Mlgatl
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, Canberra and Tartufo will be available starting in April.
I found the update ordering guide. Was wanting Tartufo. I’m thrilled that it’s an option again.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 05:10 PM   #10
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

It makes sense there wont be a new model for another 5-6 years, as they seems to work on a ~7 year cycle for their models.

There was quite a bit of media coverage when they short-cycled the last F15 model - which only went from 2103 to 2018 (~5 years)., and those media reports we're stating around 7 years as the standard model lifecycle.

HOWEVER, what I do notice about BMW is they do update their base features, and options list, AND refresh a few features like leather color, external body color (..etc) around every 2-3 years.
Eg.. they may introduce Assisted Driving View (ADV), Driver Assist Package (DAP), Laser lights as "Standard" equipment across all models, usually to keep the momentum going on sales.

For one, many people having been complaining about not having access to a light metallic silver external color. For the life of me, I don't know WHY (???) BMW wouldn't have that since its such a common and popular prestige color - so that might get introduced soon. I would've gone for that color if it were available...

With these little tweaks, they also usually play with pricing $$$$.
(eg. increase the price by 0.5% to account for new "standard" features, and adjust according to competition)
Appreciate 1
M40i4me1014.50
      03-05-2020, 05:29 PM   #11
kkratochvil
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW, X6, M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G0530d View Post
It makes sense there wont be a new model for another 5-6 years, as they seems to work on a ~7 year cycle for their models.

There was quite a bit of media coverage when they short-cycled the last F15 model - which only went from 2103 to 2018 (~5 years)., and those media reports we're stating around 7 years as the standard model lifecycle.

HOWEVER, what I do notice about BMW is they do update their base features, and options list, AND refresh a few features like leather color, external body color (..etc) around every 2-3 years.
Eg.. they may introduce Assisted Driving View (ADV), Driver Assist Package (DAP), Laser lights as "Standard" equipment across all models, usually to keep the momentum going on sales.

For one, many people having been complaining about not having access to a light metallic silver external color. For the life of me, I don't know WHY (???) BMW wouldn't have that since its such a common and popular prestige color - so that might get introduced soon. I would've gone for that color if it were available...

With these little tweaks, they also usually play with pricing $$$$.
(eg. increase the price by 0.5% to account for new "standard" features, and adjust according to competition)
First off, I too remember a lot of "noise" when BMW shorted the F15/F16 cycle. Lots of "Is this the new norm?" sorts of things. While it's simply opinion/speculation on my part, I think there's a decent chance the 5 year cycle had a lot to do with their desire to get the X5/X6 onto the CLAR architecture. They'd planned the X7 on this in the same timeframe and since all of the X7's, X5's, and X6's are built in Spartanburg, there was value on the manufacturing side to get all of them onto the CLAR architecture...It's quite possible I read this somewhere...This is a good article on it: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...rive50i-drive/.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 06:00 PM   #12
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkratochvil View Post
First off, I too remember a lot of "noise" when BMW shorted the F15/F16 cycle. Lots of "Is this the new norm?" sorts of things. While it's simply opinion/speculation on my part, I think there's a decent chance the 5 year cycle had a lot to do with their desire to get the X5/X6 onto the CLAR architecture. They'd planned the X7 on this in the same timeframe and since all of the X7's, X5's, and X6's are built in Spartanburg, there was value on the manufacturing side to get all of them onto the CLAR architecture...It's quite possible I read this somewhere...This is a good article on it: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...rive50i-drive/.
It was also a chance to get ahead of MB's cycle for the GLE. Had BMW waited until 2020 (7-years) to switch to the G05, it would have ended up chasing the new MB GLE.

BMW got extra-lucky because MB also stuffed up their supply of the GLE in 2019, especially for their 400d and 450 - which I think put BMW ahead with their G05 X5 even more. Forget their GLE 300d - way too small engine for the GLE, bit like the 25d in the X5 which is the lowest seller.

So a good Strategy overall, even if it did piss off a few people by short-cycling the F15.

Will it become the norm? ..according to BMW they've been quoted as maintaining the 7-year model cycle. Only time will tell, and it depends what happens in the market, also with new engine options (like Hybrid, Hydrogen cell...etc), and what the competition does.

I think they will still continue the 2-3 year minor refresh/tweaks to keep the market interested, which means the G05 is due for one in the next 12 months.

For me, my 30d is the last conventional (Gas/Diesel) engine'd car I'll own. It should see me out for a good 10 years to the end of the 2020s. My next car will be Hybrid/PHEV, Hydrogen fuel cell, Hydrogen, or Electric. I just need the RANGE (800km+) and TORQUE (600nm+) for towing and I'm good to go, so I hope you're listening BMW !

Last edited by James_G0540i; 03-05-2020 at 06:10 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2020, 06:30 PM   #13
Mlgatl
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkratochvil View Post
Just check out the sticky thread relating to Ordering/Pricing Guides in the Pricing, Ordering, Tracking Forum. That's where everyone posts updated Ordering/Pricing details!

Here's direct links to the current versions of the Guides:
- Ordering Guide: https://batxcr1.bmwcenternet.com/lib...eringGuide.pdf
- Pricing Guide: https://batxcr1.bmwcenternet.com/lib...ide_Retail.pdf

And I agree with everyone else...you won't see anything beyond subtle changes in leather, paints, interior trims, maybe rims, etc., until the LCI or a full new model. Given we're just 18 months in on the G05, it's likely at least 2021/2022 for an LCI or they could do like they did when they shifted from the F15/F16 to the G05/G06 and just do 5 years without an LCI and then do a full revision. It's anybody's guess...

I confirmed all of this with the dealer today. The builds on the new leathers start April 1.

I have the same X5 as you do. I will be sad to see it go but I want the land keep and semi auto driving feature. That engine was amazing.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 07:42 PM   #14
ScotsWhaHaeWi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

Refresh? I'd be a happy to live long enough to see an OTA update. Maybe just one thing, like fix the way the car yanks over to the next lane in auto lane change like it's a new teenage driver.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 07:45 PM   #15
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsWhaHaeWi View Post
Refresh? I'd be a happy to live long enough to see an OTA update. Maybe just one thing, like fix the way the car yanks over to the next lane in auto lane change like it's a new teenage driver.
Are you perhaps running a very old version of iDrive7? There is no yanking at all when making an automatic lane change. We were just discussing how smoothly the system works.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 07:57 PM   #16
ScotsWhaHaeWi
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Are you perhaps running a very old version of iDrive7? There is no yanking at all when making an automatic lane change. We were just discussing how smoothly the system works.

Dealer updated to *.55 (iirc) a couple of months back. No change noticed from previous version.

I guess it may be subjective though. The vehicle "drives" over to the next lane, too purposefully, and much too quickly in my estimation. It's not smooth at all. If it was a human driving, you'd consider it to be a very badly executed maneuver.

I use it, but I've grown accustomed to applying back pressure on the steering wheel to counter the speed of the maneuver.

I can't see how BMW has let this stand. You'd never do such maneuvers on, say, the autobahn, at 120mph, where smooth lane changes are de rigueur.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 07:59 PM   #17
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Dealer updated to *.55 (iirc) a couple of months back. No change noticed from previous version.

I guess it may be subjective though. The vehicle "drives" over to the next lane, too purposefully, and much too quickly in my estimation. It's not smooth at all. If it was a human driving, you'd consider it to be a very badly executed maneuver.

I use it, but I've grown accustomed to applying back pressure on the steering wheel to counter the speed of the maneuver.

I can't see how BMW has let this stand. You'd never do such maneuvers on, say, the autobahn, at 120mph, where smooth lane changes are de rigueur.
Then you would be current. You may want to have your dealer look at it since no one else has reported that as a problem as far as I know.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 08:02 PM   #18
ScotsWhaHaeWi
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Then you would be current. You may want to have your dealer look at it since no one else has reported that as a problem as far as I know.
I will, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 12:32 AM   #19
perikifi
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 45e M Sport

Quote:
I would also say it's a bit too fast, and I very recently read some others comment about the same. I would not call it 'bad' but it definitely looks like 'sporty' driving to other drivers. In the winter, when there is potentially black ice on the road, it is dangerously fast and thus unusable for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 12:42 AM   #20
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by perikifi View Post
I would also say it's a bit too fast, and I very recently read some others comment about the same. I would not call it 'bad' but it definitely looks like 'sporty' driving to other drivers. In the winter, when there is potentially black ice on the road, it is dangerously fast and thus unusable for me.
Okay thanks. I must have missed those posts. We have been talking about the ALC in another thread and read an old thread about it and didn't see any like that. Actually originally people said it was done too slow and then that was changed in an 07/2019.xx update so it goes quicker, at least from the time the turn signal is hit.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 01:20 AM   #21
perikifi
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 45e M Sport

Quote:
Okay thanks. I must have missed those posts. We have been talking about the ALC in another thread and read an old thread about it and didn't see any like that. Actually originally people said it was done too slow and then that was changed in an 07/2019.xx update so it goes quicker, at least from the time the turn signal is hit.
Right, I think there are different expectations and different 'normal' speeds in various countries and locations. I've only had 07/2019.59. It's not fast enough for passengers to get tossed around or even notice and fine on dry roads.

I found this recent post mention the speed (anyone notice search sucks ).
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1077.00
      03-06-2020, 04:01 AM   #22
BryanC84
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 45e M Sport

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:

Would this be similar?
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1559384
Appreciate 0