BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-06-2020, 03:07 AM   #1
six
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

How To Stop ‘Install App Notification’?

Hi All

I’ve purchased an iPod touch to use for Apple Music in my X5 and I’ve plugged it into the USBC socket in the centre arm rest cubby. I’m pleased with how it works so all good... apart from...

Every time I get in and drive off I get a notification saying I can install the connected app on my iOS device. Ok I thought I’ll put the connected drive app on the iPod Touch just to stop the nagging, except it turns out the App Store won’t allow it as the iPod Touch doesn’t have the required capabilities (probably only iPhones allowed which is odd since I have the app on my iPad!

So then I thought I’d just turn off the notifications feature in the car, except it seems I already have. So somehow the nagging about the app on the iPod is still happening.

Anybody got any clues about how to stop this persistent irritation?!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 03:35 AM   #2
jole996
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi S5

Forbid the app to send notification on the iPod itself?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 10:49 AM   #3
six
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by jole996 View Post
Forbid the app to send notification on the iPod itself?
The notification is on the BMW iDrive screen on the top row in the notifications inbox. It’s irritating because now whenever I’m in the car I always have 1 notification showing. I keep thinking it’s a text message or a missed call, but no it’s just BMW reminding me to install an app that I can’t
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 05:39 AM   #4
NthKent
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

So annoying notification when iPod connected by USBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by six View Post
Hi All

I’ve purchased an iPod touch to use for Apple Music in my X5 and I’ve plugged it into the USBC socket in the centre arm rest cubby. I’m pleased with how it works so all good... apart from...

Every time I get in and drive off I get a notification saying I can install the connected app on my iOS device. Ok I thought I’ll put the connected drive app on the iPod Touch just to stop the nagging, except it turns out the App Store won’t allow it as the iPod Touch doesn’t have the required capabilities (probably only iPhones allowed which is odd since I have the app on my iPad!

So then I thought I’d just turn off the notifications feature in the car, except it seems I already have. So somehow the nagging about the app on the iPod is still happening.

I have exactly the same annoying issue in my 2020 M340i. I also tried to download ConnectedDrive to my iPod without success. I do not want to use WiFi to run the iPod as I want to have it constantly charged in the armrest and then just forget about it. I charge my iPhone on the wireless charger and sometimes use Spotify but when I want to access all my iTunes library, it’s easier to do this via my iPod. Why can’t you permanently dismiss the notification that is shown every time you start the car!?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 09:19 AM   #5
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by six View Post
Hi All

From reading your post, it appears when you start your car, it scans all connected devices, sees the iOS iPad, looks for but doesn't find the BMW Connected App on it and then displays that message...is this correct?

Is there no way, via iDrive settings, to turn off notifications of this type only? Have you tried resetting iDrive while the iPad is connected? (I have no faith this will help but what the heck). You could write the developer of the BMW Connected App (you can find them on the Apple App Store) and explain the issue and ask them for advice and to resolve the issue upon their next update.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 11:54 AM   #6
NthKent
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
From reading your post, it appears when you start your car, it scans all connected devices, sees the iOS iPad, looks for but doesn't find the BMW Connected App on it and then displays that message...is this correct?

Is there no way, via iDrive settings, to turn off notifications of this type only? Have you tried resetting iDrive while the iPad is connected? (I have no faith this will help but what the heck). You could write the developer of the BMW Connected App (you can find them on the Apple App Store) and explain the issue and ask them for advice and to resolve the issue upon their next update.

Thanks for your reply.

No, there is not a way to suppress the notification; believe me, I’ve gone through every single menu and sub menu trying to! I tried running the iPod via WiFi for the sound whilst still charging it via the USBC port in the armrest cubby but the notification still appeared!
Appreciate 0