BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-06-2019, 05:07 PM   #1
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Automatic hi beam headlights -- Antidazzle?

I'm loving the automatic hi beams, but I'm curious about the antidazzle coding, which is listed on the car invoice. I understand this is supposed to keep the headlights on high but redirect the beam away from the oncoming car. It seems to me that the headlights just turn down to low beams when a car is coming toward me (or I'm approach a car from the rear). Is the antidazzle feature visible when it's activated (i.e., will you see the beam shift but stay bright)? This is my first car with this feature, so I realize I may be missing something. Any ideas how this is supposed to work (in the States)?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 05:17 PM   #2
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlon View Post
I'm loving the automatic hi beams, but I'm curious about the antidazzle coding, which is listed on the car invoice. I understand this is supposed to keep the headlights on high but redirect the beam away from the oncoming car. It seems to me that the headlights just turn down to low beams when a car is coming toward me (or I'm approach a car from the rear). Is the antidazzle feature visible when it's activated (i.e., will you see the beam shift but stay bright)? This is my first car with this feature, so I realize I may be missing something. Any ideas how this is supposed to work (in the States)?
In the states, it drops it back down to low beams. We don't have the "tunneling" beams due to past DOT regulations.

There is recently amendment to certify adaptive beam headlight systems:

"This document proposes amendments to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (“FMVSS”) No. 108; Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment, to permit the certification of adaptive driving beam head lighting systems, if the manufacturer chooses to equip vehicles with these systems."

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...ated-equipment

If the amendment passes, we could potential recode - but don't quote me on that.

Last edited by Auricom; 01-06-2019 at 05:28 PM..
Appreciate 2
mnewnam268.00
Cooltones241.00
      01-06-2019, 05:29 PM   #3
mnewnam
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 Mineral White X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlon View Post
In the states, it drops it back down to low beams. We don't have the "tunneling" beams due to past DOT regulations.

"This document proposes amendments to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard ("FMVSS") No. 108; Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment, to permit the certification of adaptive driving beam head lighting systems, if the manufacturer chooses to equip vehicles with these systems."

If the amendment passes, we could potential recode - but don't quote me on that.
That's how I read this too.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 08:37 PM   #4
cygnusecks
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 (G05)

Quote:
Really? They really hyped that feature in several promo videos I saw. So anti-dazzle is just for non-US markets?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 09:13 PM   #5
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnusecks View Post
Really? They really hyped that feature in several promo videos I saw. So anti-dazzle is just for non-US markets?
So far yes. 5AP decoding for no-dazzle high-beam assistance just means that it's been coded out and could be coded back on in the future.

More info for OP:
The tunneling feature isn't so much a feature of the Laser Lights, as it is the function of the High Beam Assistant. Lasers only kick in above 35mph.

In the U.S., due to DOT regulations, the High Beam Assistant will turn the high beams on automatically when the system is enabled, and would turn them off when it detected another vehicle on the road in front of you.

In most other markets, the system will move the high beam lights around the other vehicles, making a "tunnel" in the light so that you still get the extra visibility of the high beams without blinding the other drivers.

Last edited by Auricom; 01-06-2019 at 09:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 09:19 PM   #6
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Thanks! That's a bummer, but good to know it might be able to be coded eventually.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 10:50 PM   #7
mbarrett635
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

Quote:

"This document proposes amendments to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (“FMVSS”) No. 108; Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment, to permit the certification of adaptive driving beam head lighting systems, if the manufacturer chooses to equip vehicles with these systems."

You can recode now (well, soon, anyway). You don't need to wait for an amendment to pass, which could take years. I recoded my X15 to include this feature, and it's great. The coders are still working out the details of many of the features for the G05, but as soon as they do, I'm having it done.
Appreciate 1
mnewnam268.00
      01-07-2019, 05:13 AM   #8
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarrett635 View Post
Quote:

"This document proposes amendments to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard ("FMVSS") No. 108; Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment, to permit the certification of adaptive driving beam head lighting systems, if the manufacturer chooses to equip vehicles with these systems."

You can recode now (well, soon, anyway). You don't need to wait for an amendment to pass, which could take years. I recoded my X15 to include this feature, and it's great. The coders are still working out the details of many of the features for the G05, but as soon as they do, I'm having it done.
Sorry meant recode at dealers versus coders. Aware that coders are working out the features for the G05. I've had my F15 adaptive LED recoded too and other features - only issues where having to recode post dealer maintenance. Planning to do the same with my G05.

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 06:05 AM   #9
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarrett635 View Post
Quote:

Let me know when you get it done and from whom so I can do the same. We don't have street lights in most of these area where I live. Having better headlights with the the tunneling is what's really needed so you can properly. Most dbags here use light bars which aren't legal for on road use.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 07:15 AM   #10
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Coders aren't working on the anti dazzle because at this point all the ECU's but two have trimmed files. What'll have to happen before anything can be coded is someone get the untrimmed files from BMW. Right now all that can be coded is the ASS button, seatbelt lights and warnings and the rear hatch button to close the rear hatch because those features are in untrimmed ECU's

The anti dazzle won't work in urban areas because the speed you have to travel for the system to engage is too fast for neighborhood streets. Also ambient light can also keep the system from engaging. Anti Dazzle was designed for rural two lane very dark roads. I've coded this on all my cars and I can tell you first hand our streets are too well lit and too many cars on the road for it to work properly and stay turned on. If you have more than 2 cars traveling towards you or away from you it'll turn off.
X5_CC288.50
      11-05-2019, 10:51 AM   #11
p.o.t.u.s
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 40i

Has there been any progress on getting this coded for G vehicles (G07 in particular)?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 12:15 PM   #12
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

I think Lex posted that he coded the anti-dazzle, hopefully he can chime in and confirm/deny.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 08:21 PM   #13
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Yes, VO coding to remove 5AP option that "decodes anti-dazzle" is easy with a functional modern E-Sys setup.

Loving anti-dazzle, works great, lots of light and no one annoyed with me in two weeks of use (implying that it works). Works great in urban areas as well. Basically, without blinding any other traffic, it adapts to give optimum/best-possible lighting in any situation automatically. Brilliant (pun intended).
      11-05-2019, 08:27 PM   #14
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Yes, VO coding to remove 5AP option that "decodes anti-dazzle" is easy with a functional modern E-Sys setup.

Loving anti-dazzle, works great, lots of light and no one annoyed with me in two weeks of use (implying that it works). Works great in urban areas as well. Basically, without blinding any other traffic, it adapts to give optimum possible lighting in any situation automatically. Brilliant.
Hopefully the developer for BimmerCode app gets these files and is able to make this coding option available for his users.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 09:30 PM   #15
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Quote:

Loving anti-dazzle, works great, lots of light and no one annoyed with me in two weeks of use (implying that it works). Works great in urban areas as well. Basically, without blinding any other traffic, it adapts to give optimum/best-possible lighting in any situation automatically. Brilliant (pun intended).
Did you do your own coding? If so, I'd like to PM you on how you did it. I've got BimmerCode, but have not been thrilled about the lag between firmware updates and the corresponding BimmerCode updates...
      11-05-2019, 09:40 PM   #16
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpitts View Post
Did you do your own coding? If so, I'd like to PM you on how you did it. I've got BimmerCode, but have not been thrilled about the lag between firmware updates and the corresponding BimmerCode updates...
Sure, happy to help, but the E-Sys setup is the long end of the stick. Once setup and running, VO coding for this is trivial.

Bimmercode doesn't and I doubt will ever support that.
      11-05-2019, 09:54 PM   #17
robby818
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

I recently had anti-dazzle coding done on my X5 and I drive mostly urban L.A w/ the auto high beams on. Anti-dazzle kicks on when I am on stretches of poorly lit freeways (10 freeway around CSLA and the 134 freeway near Eagle Rock) and I am driving in either the far left or right lane where the side of the freeway would normally be completely dark. Anti-dazzle turns on the high beam closest to the dark side of the road to light it up. I have seen it keep the high beams on even when a car in front of me was close enough to be blinded by standard high beams. You will see the blue high beam light on the dashboard when the auto high beams engage and if it happens in situations like i just described anti-dazzle is usually working also. My first car with this feature and really glad I had it coded.
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2019, 10:17 PM   #18
mandomedic122
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2019 X5M G05, Mini 2016 S

AntiDazzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpitts View Post
I have esys up and running and have coded some stuff in my X5 G05, can you send me the ECU and coding to remove the 5AP, or do you just remove it from the VO?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 10:55 PM   #19
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandomedic122 View Post
I have esys up and running and have coded some stuff in my X5 G05, can you send me the ECU and coding to remove the 5AP, or do you just remove it from the VO
Here are the basics:
  • read FA, edit FA
  • remove option 5AP, save FA
  • read SVT
  • code BDC_BODY3, HU_MGU, FLM2 [43], FLM2 [44], KAFAS4
A couple of notes:
  • above procedure will return the ECUs above to their stock (as shipped) state; so if you have FDL coded anything, in those specific ECUs, that will be reset back to stock
  • 'code' above is right click the ECU and select Code; this is not, in this case, 'code NCD'
  • to activate, make sure you're in auto lighting mode and High Beam Assistant mode (lower button on the lighting stalk)
  • REMINDER: don't forget to be in Diagnostic Mode in the car when coding
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 12:04 AM   #20
OzJedi
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: X5 2019 40i MSport Carb Black

Quote:
Here are the basics:
  • read FA, edit FA
  • read SVT
A couple of notes:
  • above procedure will return the ECUs above to their stock (as shipped) state; so if you have FDL coded anything, in those specific ECUs, that will be reset back to stock
  • 'code' above is right click the ECU and select Code; this is not, in this case, 'code NCD'
  • to activate, make sure you're in auto lighting mode (lower button on the lighting stalk)
  • it may be that 5AU option is also required; investigating now, but don't proceed if any ECU listed above, particularly KAFAS4, is missing in your SVT list
Do you use launcher app like TokenMaster or EsysX or its just Esys? I have downloaded Esys but didn't get much time to explore and after going through feeds I was under the impression I would need launcher app so didn't spend much time.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 12:07 AM   #21
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJedi View Post
Quote:
Here are the basics:
  • read FA, edit FA
  • read SVT
A couple of notes:
  • to activate, make sure you're in auto lighting mode (lower button on the lighting stalk)
  • it may be that 5AU option is also required; investigating now, but don't proceed if any ECU listed above, particularly KAFAS4, is missing in your SVT list
Do you use launcher app like TokenMaster or EsysX or its just Esys? I have downloaded Esys but didn't get much time to explore and after going through feeds I was under the impression I would need launcher app so didn't spend much time.
Interesting point. I did it with a Launcher (ESysX), but now that you mention it, I believe VO coding doesn't require anything more than pure ESys. I am not an expert (yet), but that might be worth a try if your interest is only VO coding (which above is, no FDL coding involved).
      11-06-2019, 12:36 AM   #22
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.o.t.u.s View Post
Has there been any progress on getting this coded for G vehicles (G07 in particular)?
Yes, I have coded a few G07, G05, G15/G16, G01/G02, etc. Even the new F91/F92 M8.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0