02-11-2020, 03:54 AM   #23
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsa View Post
- parking (my) passenger to (someone's) passenger door, as close as possible. 10cm ~ few inches. No one can open doors and squeeze inside. Cars next to me have to pull out before boarding passengers.
I feel like this could backfire quite spectacularly. Don't underestimate the will of the stupid person trying to force themselves inside before finally admitting defeat and allowing the car to pull out then hopping in.

I think parking next to a car as nice or nicer than your's might be a better technique.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 04:41 AM   #24
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X5/M50i (ordered); &

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
two more parking techniques to stay (mostly) dent free:

- parking (my) passenger to (someone's) passenger door, as close as possible. 10cm ~ few inches. No one can open doors and squeeze inside. Cars next to me have to pull out before boarding passengers.
- park my (side of the) car super close to a pillar or wall, in underground parking. This was I'm leaving extra space for anyone parking next to me.
My concern with the first suggestion is the threat of getting keyed as it's obvious what your doing especially with 10' of space on the other side.

Question, do you park in a space between two other cars or take the spot with no one on either side?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 04:51 AM   #25
mcsa
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 M50d 2020

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAGuy View Post
Quote:

- park my (side of the) car super close to a pillar or wall, in underground parking. This was I'm leaving extra space for anyone parking next to me.
My concern with the first suggestion is the threat of getting keyed as it's obvious what your doing especially with 10' of space on the other side.

Question, do you park in a space between two other cars or take the spot with no one on either side?
Whenever I can, I park next to a curb/wall/pillar or whatever and then I do the option #2. Thus, I occupy the outside spot out of 3 and leave extra space for others.

However, if space is very limited, and my only option is the dreaded middle spot, then I deploy option #1. Of course, I'm never gonna block driver's door. That's just super rude. And certainly a recipe for getting keyed.

In my X years of driving and dealing with tight parking space in Europe, this has proven effective, albeit not necessarily proper
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 04:59 AM   #26
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maczrool View Post
For me this always seems to happen with a monster truck sized F-350.
Always happens to me!

I don't go so out of the way to make it obvious but I tend to look for a wall or kerb so only one other car can park next to me.

Return to the car and 8 out of 10 times there's a huge car/truck next to me 😡

What's more annoying is that there are PLENTY of spaces available!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 05:06 AM   #27
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Whenever I can, I park next to a curb/wall/pillar or whatever and then I do the option #2. Thus, I occupy the outside spot out of 3 and leave extra space for others.

However, if space is very limited, and my only option is the dreaded middle spot, then I deploy option #1. Of course, I'm never gonna block driver's door. That's just super rude. And certainly a recipe for getting keyed.

In my X years of driving and dealing with tight parking space in Europe, this has proven effective, albeit not necessarily proper
Agree that a premium spot only has one adjoining space, with a wall or curb etc on the opposite side. Exception is never parking next to a shopping cart coral especially at Costco or under trees (sap and birds). I also select option #1 under theory as long as the other cars are parked there no one is going to be able to pull into that spot.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 05:20 AM   #28
mcsa
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
...I also select option #1 under theory as long as the other cars are parked there no one is going to be able to pull into that spot.
Yes, there is a risk of someone trying to pull into that spot, but that is always a thing. Thus OP's video
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 05:24 AM   #29
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Why is it when parking next to a curb or similar, I park very close to that side to give plenty of room next to me but of course they will take up that extra space and then some?!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 05:28 AM   #30
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by x5mad View Post
Why is it when parking next to a curb or similar, I park very close to that side to give plenty of room next to me but of course they will take up that extra space and then some?!
In those cases they ignore the parking lines and split the distance between the two cars. That leaves plenty of space for adjoining cars to open doors and drive in/out.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 05:30 AM   #31
mcsa
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Argh! There is always this

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 08:42 AM   #32
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:

Sorry, but parking that close is a total d*ck move no matter what you're driving and what car you're parking next to. I want to spit on your car right now and I'm thousands of miles away. 🤬

Really, I'm more angry about the people that do this to my driver door out of pure inconsideration. But doing it deliberately, even passenger to passenger, isn't much better.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 08:47 AM   #33
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
In those cases they ignore the parking lines and split the distance between the two cars. That leaves plenty of space for adjoining cars to open doors and drive in/out.
I don't mind that and sometimes purposely cheat over and split a parking space that is unusable (ex. Snow bank taking up 1/3 of it), and totally expect that to mean more space for the guy next to me, and next to him etc.. not just me. BUT, only if they don't park closer to me than they would've if we were both fairly centered in our own spaces. Don't crowd my car after I created more space for us all lol. Split the difference like you said, then we all get a little more.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 08:56 AM   #34
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Honestly, the worst offender is whomever determines how big the spaces should be in some of these parking lots, trying to squeeze in as many spaces as possible with no consideration for our cars (and our OCD). Some lots are luxurious, can't hit the car next to you with your door if you tried (assuming fairly centered parking). Some you can barely fit in, and I don't live in a big city, the tight ones are usually not necessary!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 10:09 AM   #35
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Honestly, the worst offender is whomever determines how big the spaces should be in some of these parking lots, trying to squeeze in as many spaces as possible with no consideration for our cars (and our OCD). Some lots are luxurious, can't hit the car next to you with your door if you tried (assuming fairly centered parking). Some you can barely fit in, and I don't live in a big city, the tight ones are usually not necessary!
I agree. It's no cost to a merchant to get in more parking spaces by making them smaller especially since they accept no responsibility for damage. By shrinking spaces they effectively guarantee you will get dings from others car doors and are at increased risk of getting more serious bumper damage. I either don't shop at those locations or park in a remote spot with less traffic. I find this less of an issue here in Richmond vs in the DC area where parking spaces are at a premium.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 10:31 AM   #36
maczrool
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M50i Carbon Black

This comes to mind.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 10:36 AM   #37
mcsa
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
This comes to mind.
No! That's just super dirty move!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 11:25 AM   #38
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
This comes to mind.
Judging the mirrors: he folded his mirror to park and then unfolded it again. Or was the black Hyundai the last one to park and went out the other side (or is the picture taken in right side driving country?)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 11:32 AM   #39
maczrool
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M50i Carbon Black

It was taken in Memphis, TN.
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1090.50
      02-11-2020, 12:00 PM   #40
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
Judging the mirrors: he folded his mirror to park and then unfolded it again. Or was the black Hyundai the last one to park and went out the other side (or is the picture taken in right side driving country?)
The front wheel of the blue car is turned towards the right. Leads me to believe that person made a sweeping right turn into that spot (meaning they didn't drive forward into the spot), so the mirrors would never have touched.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1090.50
      02-11-2020, 12:25 PM   #41
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
The front wheel of the blue car is turned towards the right. Leads me to believe that person made a sweeping right turn into that spot (meaning they didn't drive forward into the spot), so the mirrors would never have touched.
That's a real sh*ty move then. If I could squeeze between the cars to get in I would make sure the metal buttons on my jeans make contact with the full length of the side of his car. But probably he wouldn't even mind.
Appreciate 1
wtwo317945.00