BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-17-2020, 08:07 AM   #67
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
After disconnecting the solenoid pin, did you tie the flap in the open position? If you didn't, it will flap around (pun intended) and rattle. Single strand stripped electrical mains wire works well for tying it open.
LOL... of course
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 11:52 AM   #68
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Ok...... whole plan scratched. No wonder they didn't fit. Original measurements are off. My tailpipes are 2.25 OD.... not 2.5.

I tack welded them.... and I lost one on the first drive anyway.

Searching for a 2.25 to 3" tip now. I still want to do this.... just need correct parts.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 01:28 PM   #69
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Now that I have the car in my posession, and I've taken my own measurements, and I'm familiar with how the installation will go, what is easily reachable, what isn't.... etc....

I felt much more comfortable spending real money on a new set of tips.

Just found a dual-wall, carbon fiber trimmed set.... that I "believe" will fit significantly better.

This is silly... but the complexities of trying to find an aftermarket set of tips, to fit within the parameters of this vehicle... isn't as easy as one would think.

I'l post up when they arrive (just ordered them 10 minutes ago), after I get them installed. Assuming all fits well, I'll share part numbers.

In the meantime, I would strongly advise anyone reading this to NOT purchase the same tips that a few of us have already.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 06:15 PM   #70
fea2222
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: 2019BMW X5 50I M

Garage List
2019 BMW M5 F90  [0.00]
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
Now that I have the car in my posession, and I've taken my own measurements, and I'm familiar with how the installation will go, what is easily reachable, what isn't.... etc....

I felt much more comfortable spending real money on a new set of tips.

Just found a dual-wall, carbon fiber trimmed set.... that I "believe" will fit significantly better.

This is silly... but the complexities of trying to find an aftermarket set of tips, to fit within the parameters of this vehicle... isn't as easy as one would think.

I'l post up when they arrive (just ordered them 10 minutes ago), after I get them installed. Assuming all fits well, I'll share part numbers.

In the meantime, I would strongly advise anyone reading this to NOT purchase the same tips that a few of us have already.

can you share the link ?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 12:57 AM   #71
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fea2222 View Post
can you share the link ?
Not yet. If they don't work, I don't want several people buying the same thing.
Appreciate 2
fea222225.50
radmjk238.00
      10-05-2020, 12:28 AM   #72
wifesbimmer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5 M50i, E92 M3, '16 F150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
First off.... those tips are NOT the right size for the exhaust. Even with them clamped down all the way... they still slip easily on and off the factory tailpipes.

Second..... where there's a welder, there's a way.

Third..... I decided not to install the tips "long side up".... but rather "long side in"... so the angle of the tips follows the curvature of the bumper.

Fourth..... While I was under there, I went ahead and disconnected the pins that operate the flapper valves, so they are now permanently open, and my ECU doesn't know any better for it. Definitely sounds "healthier" now.... and I'm quite pleased with how it looks.
Very well done. It looks awesome from the back. I am hoping to do the same with mine. You know it is very interesting how the quad tips look so natural that they should almost come like that on the M50i.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 06:36 AM   #73
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifesbimmer View Post
Very well done. It looks awesome from the back. I am hoping to do the same with mine. You know it is very interesting how the quad tips look so natural that they should almost come like that on the M50i.
Thanks.... this whole thing actually ended up a huge failure. The tailpipe diameter was wrong, the tips I bought were wrong... it was a mess.

I did eventually however, get the correct size, tips, measurements, and did a full writeup on it. It's somewhere in the engine forum.
6-Piston X5M Big Brake Kit:https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1779038
Appreciate 0