09-03-2019, 02:21 PM   #1
deb cole
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Question about my X5’s door locking semantics

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
My husband and I are in the vehicle, we get out, and he can't lock the doors from the driver side interior button. Is it true that this is a standard feature so you can't lock yourself out of the vehicle? I have always owned Cadillacs and other GM vehicles. This just doesn't sound right to me.

Please let me know if this is a true fact or are they just telling me this since they have problems locking and unlocking this vehicle right now.

Thank you,
Deb
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 02:25 PM   #2
super51fan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

I can not say if it is or not for that particular car but I know it is for many cars. Locking the car with an interior button is a bad habit that can lead to the exact scenario you described above.

Instead, you should lock the car with the remote or by touching the exterior handle before walking away from the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 04:02 PM   #3
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

wtf
Appreciate 1
Violator4587.50
      09-03-2019, 04:44 PM   #4
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Hi Deb,

It's a design failure plaguing all modern BMW's. Apparently some previous Cadillac owners locked themselves out of their car and had to call a locksmith to open their vehicle as the nearest BMW was hundreds of miles away. While waiting for said smith, they were subjected to unspeakable horrors by the local hoi polloi. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 08:41 PM   #5
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

I have owned several cars that won't let you lock the driver's door using the interior lock button while the driver's door is open.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 08:48 PM   #6
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

It will not let you lock the drivers door from the inside if it is open. However if your husband really wants to do it then he can lock the door from inside the drivers door that is and then get out from one of the rear doors or the trunk. I hope this helps solve the mystery and your problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 08:58 PM   #7
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
I wasn't aware that any modern cars still have the ability to lock from the inside before closing your door upon exit. Pretty surprised even the GM products do that. From my understanding this is an old school thing, back before intelligent keys. My last car to have this "feature" was a 2000 nissan maxima. I would turn off the car, as I open my door to get out, I also hit the lock button so it locks all the doors and stays locked when I close the door after I've exited. Luckily I never locked myself out of the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 08:29 AM   #8
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Ditto...every BMW I've owned..going back to my 1985 325e...the driver's door could not be locked when it was opened. It indeed is a anti-lockout feature that BMW has incorporated for decades.

But with remote keys and especially Comfort Access...how is the scenario in the original post even an issue. Using CA or the remote accomplishes the same thing...plus you have the added safety that you haven't locked your key/remote inside the vehicle.

If the original scenario is preferred by the OP...then instead of the driver locking the door using the interior central locking button...allow the passenger to do it. All the car doors will lock when using the central locking button when the driver's door is closed regardless if any of the passenger doors are opened.

There's another caveat using the interior central locking button and that is the car's DWA (anti-theft alarm siren) system is NOT activated using the interior lock button. DWA is only activated when the vehicle is locked from outside using the remote fob, comfort access, or by manually locking the driver's door with the remote's integrated metal key blade using the exterior lock cylinder. This is verified by the illumination of the red status LED (clown nose) below the interior rear view mirror.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 09:21 AM   #9
mrichione
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Correct, you can't lock the doors while the driver's door is ajar.
Appreciate 0