BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-19-2021, 07:58 PM   #1
cantgobak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S4

Advice after full front Xpel PPF

Need further advice from anyone who had their Xpel PPF done since this is my first PPF. I got the car back yesterday after 3 days at the shop for full front and three 70% front windows tint…. Not sure if this is what everyone's look like, but it would be great to get an idea if this is what I should expect.

But I want to say that I don't expect everything to be perfect, just want to know if it is expected. The shop had told me it'll take some time for air bubbles to completely dissipate and to note down all the problems and bring the car back for follow up and fix after two weeks. I have taken some pictures and highlighted two questionable issues.

1. Fitment of the film - Hood and quarter panel corners are not covered completely and too short on side mirrors?
2. Hair line doesn't seems to be hair underneath it, more like a scratch (don't feel any hair line or 'bulge' when putting my finger over the line)?

Thanks in advance and any advice is appreciated!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 08:40 PM   #2
FullFatDoom
Space Marine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5

In my very limited experience and speaking from somewhere on the internet, that looks sloppy.
Appreciate 2
      12-19-2021, 08:47 PM   #3
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Not normal at all. It looks sloppy like a amateur kid did the work. Your installer needs to redo it again or get your money back.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2021, 08:56 PM   #4
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

While it is true that there will be some small imperfections, but what you have shown in the picture is beyond normal.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2021, 09:37 PM   #5
John925
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xdrive40i

Oh wow. That is complete amateur. I would make them redo it. A good PPF person will wrap the edges all around for no visible seams or ends. I have my track Camaro fully wrapped and you can’t even tell it’s there.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2021, 09:59 PM   #6
Outack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i, X5 45e

This is not normal from my experience at a high end shop. I had a 340i done, and it was flawless, 100% custom cut, no seams, no debris. Ours is on Black Sapphire Metallic, so very unforgiving.

How much did you spend? In order to have perfect in our area, it would be close to ~$2k for the full front. Add in another $700 for the windshield and front two windows. If you spent that much it should be perfect. If not, you may have gotten what you paid for unfortunately, as the cheaper shops in our area never do the top level work.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2021, 10:25 PM   #7
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

Couple of things…

1. The shop used pre-cut pieces. The best shops hand cut on the car and wrap corners/edges for the most seamless installation.

2. Clearly a poorly trained amateur did this install and made it even worse as noted by all the examples in your pictures.

Having pre-cut pieces of PPF doesn't immediately mean the shop is not good, it just means you may have some more visible edges than a hand cut/wrapped installation job. But the installer who did this clearly was either not experienced, in a rush, or a combination of both.

I would ask to have the panels re-done. And I would find a way to ask for a different installer.
      12-19-2021, 11:50 PM   #8
cantgobak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outack View Post
This is not normal from my experience at a high end shop. I had a 340i done, and it was flawless, 100% custom cut, no seams, no debris. Ours is on Black Sapphire Metallic, so very unforgiving.

How much did you spend? In order to have perfect in our area, it would be close to ~$2k for the full front. Add in another $700 for the windshield and front two windows. If you spent that much it should be perfect. If not, you may have gotten what you paid for unfortunately, as the cheaper shops in our area never do the top level work.
I believe the Xpel film they use is precut and it's 2300+ for the whole thing, this is with the 15% holiday discount they currently have going on. The price should not be an amateur work I received. Even the front windshield has a pretty big blemish with 3/4 of an inch long 1 mm wide thats right in front driver's line of sight too. I couldn't take a picture on that one to show clearly so I just skipped it. Will send the pictures over to the shop and request them to redo with a different installer. Thanks everyone for your responses.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 02:54 AM   #9
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantgobak View Post
I believe the Xpel film they use is precut and it's 2300+ for the whole thing, this is with the 15% holiday discount they currently have going on. The price should not be an amateur work I received. Even the front windshield has a pretty big blemish with 3/4 of an inch long 1 mm wide thats right in front driver's line of sight too. I couldn't take a picture on that one to show clearly so I just skipped it. Will send the pictures over to the shop and request them to redo with a different installer. Thanks everyone for your responses.
Yup, they used pre-cuts which, in general, will always be lower quality & doné by less experienced staff - both on install and duration / problems down the road.

Unfortunately, for every good install I hear about 5 of these and multiple rounds of problems ... to be blunt, any shop that's willing to give you this car shouldn't be returned to except to have them remove it and refund you your money. You gotta wonder if you really want to turn over your car to these people for round #2?

And then the problem with custom installs is a poorly done job usually means cut paint ... looking at some of the odd PPF cuts on your car, after they remove it, you'll want to inspect it carefully for paint cuts.

Don't forget a full front end respray is $1200 ... for brand new paint, at least here in the Bay Area. If you're detailed enough to have found all this stuff might want to consider if PPF is right for you, especially here in NorCal (I did mountain runs all of the time, tons of freeway driving, many trips to LA, etc and haven't had any more than 1 or 2 chips on any of my last 3 cars over the last decade).

If so, you might want to pay for a high-end shop who does custom work with YOUR INSTALLER having 5-10 years of experience.

Last edited by GrussGott; 12-20-2021 at 03:02 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2021, 05:46 AM   #10
specracer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS HS 6MT M8 Comp

Another comment that the conditions you show, ESPECIALLY the "hair" and the lifting on the mirrors are completely unacceptable. If the shop does not willingly address it, get Xpel corporate involved, as there is a 10 year warranty. As for the edges, we have a few cars with a 100% wrap, and the film wraps and you see nothing.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 07:40 AM   #11
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminor513 View Post
Couple of things…

1. The shop used pre-cut pieces. The best shops hand cut on the car and wrap corners/edges for the most seamless installation.

2. Clearly a poorly trained amateur did this install and made it even worse as noted by all the examples in your pictures.

Having pre-cut pieces of PPF doesn't immediately mean the shop is not good, it just means you may have some more visible edges than a hand cut/wrapped installation job. But the installer who did this clearly was either not experienced, in a rush, or a combination of both.

I would ask to have the panels re-done. And I would find a way to ask for a different installer.
Absolutely agree. Furthermore, the poor installation job will only look worse as time goes by. And I’m speaking from the personal experience.

Please get it fixed.
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18183.50
      12-20-2021, 09:00 AM   #12
Jetrik
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5M Competition

I just had a full frontal Xpel PPF done and it definitely does not look like that. Hopefully they won't give any issues to rectify it.
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2021, 09:25 AM   #13
BMWClove
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6m comp

wow what a amateur job. Take it back that is 100% unacceptable.

I just had X6m comp full front and full doors PPF done. You can even tell the PPF is done on it.
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2021, 10:55 AM   #14
cantgobak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

As much as I hate to go there or even ask this question here, I want to give them a chance to make it right, but should I stop payment on the check I wrote to them and the shop agreed to redo and done correctly before they receive the payment?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 11:56 AM   #15
charlie fairmont
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: His & hers, GC & X5

I would be hesitant to let them touch the car again. My off the cuff reaction would be to stop payment on the check, tell them you did so, find a new vendor to remove the old stuff and apply the new stuff. I would then deliver the peeled-off old stuff to the original vendor, along with pictures and a copy of the stop payment. Now, all of that overly emotional reaction noted, I honestly have never issued a stop payment on a check and don't really know what's involved on the customer/bank side, or what kind of liability you be exposing yourself to if you followed my irrational plan. Technically, they did sell you a service and some personal property so for all I know stopping the check after accepting the vehicle is akin to theft. (Long story short, don't do anything I'm saying because I don't want to cause a bigger problem for you--just venting on your behalf : )
Appreciate 2
Rondi143.50
      12-20-2021, 12:31 PM   #16
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
As much as I hate to go there or even ask this question here, I want to give them a chance to make it right, but should I stop payment on the check I wrote to them and the shop agreed to redo and done correctly before they receive the payment?
If they are a reputable business, would give them an opportunity to cure. Clearly they know you are displeased; their work speaks for itself.
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2021, 01:09 PM   #17
cantgobak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
If they are a reputable business, would give them an opportunity to cure. Clearly they know you are displeased; their work speaks for itself.
They seem like it from the 40+reviews, there's always a couple of bad ones doesn't matter where you go.... but who knows if these reviews are.... I always give the benefit of the doubt and it's hard to maintain business nowadays, so want to give them a chance to make it right. They have been very responsive prior and during install, so I'm hoping customer service and "the customer is always right" parts are within the business as well. We'll see...
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2021, 03:28 PM   #18
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
They seem like it from the 40+reviews, there's always a couple of bad ones doesn't matter where you go.... but who knows if these reviews are.... I always give the benefit of the doubt and it's hard to maintain business nowadays, so want to give them a chance to make it right. They have been very responsive prior and during install, so I'm hoping customer service and "the customer is always right" parts are within the business as well. We'll see...
I'd ask to speak with the owner, send him/her the pictures, and see what they offer. Ideally you'd get their proposal in email if they offer to remove & replace at no charge.

Once you have that offer, then I'd tell them you've decided to skip PPF and please just do the removal: easier & cheaper for them, better for you.

PPF removal (with new stuff) typically isn't that tough.
Appreciate 2
      12-20-2021, 04:00 PM   #19
cantgobak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks GrussGott ! I did all of those (requested owner, sent photos. They are off Sundays and Mondays). I'd like to hear what the owner say about the result first. If the owner agrees the work wasn't done right in the first place, I just couldn't think of any possible way to try and salvage the current result but to redo them completely; I do not believe the film is to be stretched, it would completely ruin the integrity of the film. I also do not believe for one second it's an issue from the pre-cut (which came from Xpel) because I do see there's quite a bit of extra film that isn't even adhere well to the underside of the other side of the hood corner (now the side mirrors could be a pre-cut issue since it looks way too small, but not sure..) I firmly believe it really comes down to whoever did the install was really a beginner and worked under no supervision or if they only have 1 installer and they are just that BAD. I really hope they are honest and reputable business like what the reviews indicated. Like I said, I'm willing to give them another chance to make it right or else they will loose a lot of business....
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2021, 06:28 PM   #20
CarbonBlackEx5
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i

Definitely a sloppy job. I had my entire front end down including A pillars. It was done in July and I cannot even see it. No air bubbles, no seams. The edges were wrapped around the underside of my hood and the front end is a perfect fit with no paint exposed.

Take it back and have them redo it
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2021, 06:42 PM   #21
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

I guess the white line means they did zero paint correction before install? That's not acceptable.

PPF lifting on side mirrors does happen. It needs to be trimmed or re-applied.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 06:45 PM   #22
Mojobaggins
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

That's horrible. Had my full front, lower sides and rear bumper done in Xpel PPF and it looks perfect.
Appreciate 0