BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-10-2019, 08:09 AM   #1
stevem12t2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i

Remote Start - US - Heated Seats/Armrests?

Today it is about +13 degrees outside with the car parked in the driveway. I used the keyfob this time 3 taps of the lock to remote start. I waited about 10-12 minutes and entered the car. The driving mode was in comfort not eco and my profile attached to the key i used was used to unlock on approach and get in. The steering wheel, armrests,a dn seat were still cold The activation lights were not on for them either and i turned them on manually (Heated Seats and Steering Wheel). The cabin wasn't warm either or fans running. The speeds for the fans are set to auto and 72 degrees Fahrenheit for front and rear. I may be crazy but the other day it was warmer out about 45 degrees F and i used the app to remote start. I could have sworn that the wheel, seats, armrests and cabin were all warm. I may be crazy. My question is all i see for a setting is to allow for remote engine start on the iDrive 7 screen. I am guessing if i use the App to climatize now does that do more than the basic remote start? Do you think it sets other things like heated or cooled seats and heated steering wheel if it senses the temperature? Should i use the app instead of the 3 lock press? Maybe that press only starts the engine but the connected app services actually climatize all the vehicle? Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 11:38 AM   #2
Mieleo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5

No
App won't heat steering wheel and armrests
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 02:30 PM   #3
dkpark0612
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i & 2020 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem12t2 View Post
Today it is about +13 degrees outside with the car parked in the driveway. I used the keyfob this time 3 taps of the lock to remote start. I waited about 10-12 minutes and entered the car. The driving mode was in comfort not eco and my profile attached to the key i used was used to unlock on approach and get in. The steering wheel, armrests,a dn seat were still cold The activation lights were not on for them either and i turned them on manually (Heated Seats and Steering Wheel). The cabin wasn't warm either or fans running. The speeds for the fans are set to auto and 72 degrees Fahrenheit for front and rear. I may be crazy but the other day it was warmer out about 45 degrees F and i used the app to remote start. I could have sworn that the wheel, seats, armrests and cabin were all warm. I may be crazy. My question is all i see for a setting is to allow for remote engine start on the iDrive 7 screen. I am guessing if i use the App to climatize now does that do more than the basic remote start? Do you think it sets other things like heated or cooled seats and heated steering wheel if it senses the temperature? Should i use the app instead of the 3 lock press? Maybe that press only starts the engine but the connected app services actually climatize all the vehicle? Any thoughts?
Do you have an iPhone? My Samsung app doesn't have an option to remote start the car. I can do that with my remote. BMW genius said I cannot use the app to remote start.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 04:56 PM   #4
Nick M.
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife crazy with M cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkpark0612 View Post
Quote:
Do you have an iPhone? My Samsung app doesn't have an option to remote start the car. I can do that with my remote. BMW genius said I cannot use the app to remote start.
It works with iOS, not sure why Android would be different.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 05:02 PM   #5
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Remote start is not supported on Android yet, at least I believe that is the last that I heard on it.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 05:29 PM   #6
stevem12t2
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Remote start is not supported on Android yet, at least I believe that is the last that I heard on it.
My iPhone remote starts the car and my BMW key fob. I was told or read somewhere before delivery that there is a setting or the car knows if it's very hot out or very cold that the seats and steering wheel could be heated or the ventilated seats would go on depending on the temperature. I am wondering if that is a myth, a setting I missed or simply not true
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 03:38 PM   #7
Kotkot
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

I am curious to know the real deal. My F150 remote start works perfectly and car is cooled or warmed up appropriately for weather. Including seats and steering wheel warming. If remote start can’t activAte heat function, it’s useless
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 04:19 PM   #8
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotkot View Post
I am curious to know the real deal. My F150 remote start works perfectly and car is cooled or warmed up appropriately for weather. Including seats and steering wheel warming. If remote start can't activAte heat function, it's useless
I agree that it's really nice in our F350 to have the seats and wheel be on with auto start but I wouldn't exactly call it useless on the G05 . Last week when it was 13° here, by the time I got in my X5 after auto starting it, the heat had it nice and warm inside even without the seats/steering wheel/armrests on. If I didn't have auto start, it would have been freezing. I'm glad I had it.
      02-12-2019, 11:44 AM   #9
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

We need this app to be able to choose auto heat seating. Then it will work with remote start

Hopefully it will come with next update
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2019, 12:12 PM   #10
rs4eva
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

Weird that iDrive7 in various cars don't all have the same basic functions.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 01:33 PM   #11
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4eva View Post
Weird that iDrive7 in various cars don't all have the same basic functions.
It probably will once the update comes out for the X5. I haven't seen what version the 3's have but probably the next major release.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 02:18 PM   #12
stevem12t2
Private
United_States
Rep

I was told from both a dealer CA as well as a BMW Genius via the hotline that this functionality will be coming/added with hopefully an Over the air OTA update. Should not require a visit to the dealer for the iDrive 7 update. The timeframe is set for around March and about the time the new 3's hit the market. They plan on rolling out many updates with a decent iDrive 7 update then.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 02:21 PM   #13
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
I was told from both a dealer CA as well as a BMW Genius via the hotline that this functionality will be coming/added with hopefully an Over the air OTA update. Should not require a visit to the dealer for the iDrive 7 update.
That is good to hear. So far I think everyone that was told about the update (including me) was told it would not be OTA and they would have to visit the dealer to get it. Sounds like they may have rethought that since the OTA technology exists.
Appreciate 0