BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-10-2020, 03:09 AM   #1
vr
Rep
Drives: 5 G30

Ordered the G05 (post dilemma)

Folks, I need your help as a week ago I ordered my new BMW, after almost 10 years driving sedans and coupe, decided to move to the big one.

One of my game changer is the assisted driving features, which unfortunately in EU are heavily reduced; I ordered the 5AU (unfortunately without 5AR as traffic jam isn't available - hope I can code somehow and I hope to have all the necessary hw for a future software/even official upgrade).

I have been obviously guided by a salesperson at the dealer, very kind but probably with less knowledge than myself. I have been guaranteed - by voice - that as soon BMW will finalize regulatory requirements, an update will be pushed live on my g05.

Besides the fact that BMW is historically reluctant with live updates, that's tesla, I am not really sure my car would have the HW (i.e. 5g radio module).

My big dilemma now is:

I didn't order the parking assistant plus, I got the normal parking assistant 5DR, I left the 360 cameras out. I am now worried that I will miss the radars and sensor, the cameras, and this would affect my capabilityto upgrade... (i.e. I couldn't retrofit 5DV in my current G30 as didn't buy comfort access 322, just for a piece of antenna).

Should I go back and spend this 900 eur out of pocket on my own to get it added - if still on time?

v

Last edited by vr; 09-10-2020 at 03:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 03:26 AM   #2
bhe
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 45e

What do you think is missing that the 5AR has ?
If I lookup up it should steer , brake and accelerate.
But the 5AU is already doing this.... When traffic is stuck.. I press the buttons and let the car drive itself and I'm in Europe..

I took all the driving and parking packages available in Europe. Never used the parking feature till now (Ihave the car 8 months). But i haved used the backing up feature that drives the last +- 100m backwards in some narrow streets...
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 03:28 AM   #3
G Whizz UK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 30dMSport

First, congrats on taking the plunge!

Personally, the parking plus version is one of my key packages. I've not really found a use for the remote 3D view, but the surround view I've found invaluable. It's a car the size of a small country, and while visibility isn't bad, UK car parks (I'm looking at you Nottingham!) and country roads can be verrrrrrry small, with random odd bits sticking out. Could I park it without? Yes. Has it made life easier and less stressful? Yes!

I personally don't like most of the other driving assists, especially lane departure. It's random and feels like the car has been possessed!

YMMV though, as they say. I'd see if first it's too late to change - if it is then I'd stop thinking about it now, before you drive yourself mad. If you can, go to the dealer and ask to drive cars with the options on and missing asap.
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2020, 03:40 AM   #4
Sirksael
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

As far as I can determine, the only difference between the assisted driving available in Europe and the extended traffic jam assistant is the fact that you don't need to touch the steering wheel, and your attention is monitored more closely by the camera in the dash.
So that means all the hardware should be there.
Also, my colleague has an X5 without parking plus, but there are still cameras in his mirrors, probably to allow BMW to offer it as an option in the connected drive store later on?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 03:54 AM   #5
vr
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhe View Post
But the 5AU is already doing this.... When traffic is stuck.. I press the buttons and let the car drive itself and I'm in Europe..

I took all the driving and parking packages available in Europe. Never used the parking feature till now (Ihave the car 8 months). But i haved used the backing up feature that drives the last +- 100m backwards in some narrow streets...
Yes, indeed ... traffic jam assist is completely hands free until 60km/h I think and it also doesn't disengage when the traffic is stuck (does yours?)

I never used my parking assistant, seriously I am way faster to park, I have the plus in G30, and the view for 4 years now. The point about the 360view to help moving the car in tiny roads: I had 1 month test drive of a g05 (no assisted drive but full parking assistant plus). At the beginning, I have to admint it helps, but scared not trusting completely and very very tight places I prefered to kick my wife out of the car to use human driven assist wife plus. After 2 weeks I had more confidence with the size... I don't remember I used them a lot that's why I decided to focus the money more on other optionals took the M package on the 45e and I am more than excited but had to puzzle a bit with the optionals to fit in the company policy and budget (YES I AM LUCKY...)
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 04:03 AM   #6
vr
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirksael View Post
As far as I can determine, the only difference between the assisted driving available in Europe and the extended traffic jam assistant is the fact that you don't need to touch the steering wheel, and your attention is monitored more closely by the camera in the dash.
So that means all the hardware should be there.
Also, my colleague has an X5 without parking plus, but there are still cameras in his mirrors, probably to allow BMW to offer it as an option in the connected drive store later on?
that's intresting, i didn't know the cameras are there anyhow, so possible for sure to recode and load an FCS in the ECU .. one day maybe. For what I can understand (never seen a g05 with 5DM the baby park assistant i took) I should have: one rear camera, backup assisted drive, self parking with the famous P on the display and all the safety aided controls) ... so looks like it's really a camera view only difference

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aq0...ew?usp=sharing
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 04:58 AM   #7
Sirksael
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

One other feature I use often is the front panorama view, when you arrive at an intersection with limited view. You can set it to appear based on GPS coordinates automatically.
For me that's a real "game changing" feature.
Don't know if that is part of the parking plus package.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 05:16 AM   #8
bhe
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vr View Post
Yes, indeed ... traffic jam assist is completely hands free until 60km/h I think and it also doesn't disengage when the traffic is stuck (does yours?)
No it doesn't disengage when the traffic stops, and I believe you don't need to touch the steering wheel until 15km/h
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 05:19 AM   #9
vr
Rep

Quote:
No it doesn't disengage when the traffic stops, and I believe you don't need to touch the steering wheel until 15km/h
that's perfect thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 05:20 AM   #10
vr
Rep

Quote:
One other feature I use often is the front panorama view, when you arrive at an intersection with limited view. You can set it to appear based on GPS coordinates automatically.
definitely yes, the panorama view is part of the pro package
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 05:27 AM   #11
vr
Rep

Quote:

only thing to code is the assisted lane change:

SAS [42C1] IS an ECU. Same as BDC, HU_MGU, etc.

The actual code in SAS ECU to enable Lane Change is
C_SWA_VORHANDEN 'Enabled'

SWA = Spurwechsel Assistant, or Steering Assistant

I don't know if in recent i-steps, or 2020 cars it comes already with the assisted drive view in the instrument cluster and the Spurwechsel enabled
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 05:34 AM   #12
bhe
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
only thing to code is the assisted lane change:

SAS [42C1] IS an ECU. Same as BDC, HU_MGU, etc.

The actual code in SAS ECU to enable Lane Change is
C_SWA_VORHANDEN 'Enabled'

SWA = Spurwechsel Assistant, or Steering Assistant

I don't know if in recent i-steps, or 2020 cars it comes already with the assisted drive view in the instrument cluster and the Spurwechsel enabled
I have the assisted drive view but disabled it in the options because I rather see the GPS on long trips (polarized glasses and hud doesn't work well)
I can lane change with the signals when using the assisted drive to.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 08:49 AM   #13
vr
Rep

guys, i thank you all.. for the help and very kind info. i just got another strange news, noticed in my order

843 Output reduction

asked and looks like I am forced to take this option which is a reduction in horse power to 320hp instead of the original 394hp... I hope to vo code this thing out

considering I will get the car beginning 2021, the istep version will be pretty recent and probably not compatible with my esys... what a strange version/country
Appreciate 1
Osheatwo206.50
      09-10-2020, 08:50 AM   #14
Sirksael
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Ah yes, probably as you are leasing or the car will be registered in Wallonia or Brussels. The tax is very high then (as opposed to a private registration in Flanders) and the reduction in power reduces the tax.

You can't VO code that out, you could get a chiptuning but that would impact your warranty and I hear more and more that you can't really hide chiptuning from BMW any more.

The torque is the same though, so in daily driving it should be similar and still a fast car.

Last edited by Sirksael; 09-10-2020 at 09:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 10:07 AM   #15
vr
Rep

Quote:
Ah yes, probably as you are leasing or the car will be registered in Wallonia or Brussels. The tax is very high then (as opposed to a private registration in Flanders) and the reduction in power reduces the tax.

You can't VO code that out, you could get a chiptuning but that would impact your warranty and I hear more and more that you can't really hide chiptuning from BMW any more.

The torque is the same though, so in daily driving it should be similar and still a fast car.
indeed, being a leased car, i didn't know before (I could have taken it as private in flanders - i live in flanders)... cannot be coded out? than fine I am out of the game. chip tuning and any other type of 'real' change on a leased car, won't do it and don't want to create problems with insurance or leasing so I am afraid I will need to live with the reduced power...

very sad to hear that cannot be vo coded removed or fdl coded, as i can't imagine bmw is loading a really different map on the engine, i assume they have a kind of parameter in the ECU to stop the power delivery at a certain rev...
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 01:09 PM   #16
hiluca
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2020-2024 X5 50e 2024-

Quote:
indeed, being a leased car, i didn't know before (I could have taken it as private in flanders - i live in flanders)... cannot be coded out? than fine I am out of the game. chip tuning and any other type of 'real' change on a leased car, won't do it and don't want to create problems with insurance or leasing so I am afraid I will need to live with the reduced power...

very sad to hear that cannot be vo coded removed or fdl coded, as i can't imagine bmw is loading a really different map on the engine, i assume they have a kind of parameter in the ECU to stop the power delivery at a certain rev...
besides the 45e we also have an X3 30e coming, this one has the reduced power. they (BMW) told us that they don't limit the torque so acceleration is pretty much the same, but HP makes a difference in topspeed so i assume that will be down.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 01:23 PM   #17
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiluca View Post
besides the 45e we also have an X3 30e coming, this one has the reduced power. they (BMW) told us that they don't limit the torque so acceleration is pretty much the same, but HP makes a difference in topspeed so i assume that will be down.
Umm.. Power = constant * torque * RPM, so if they don't limit torque, they limit RPM to 2000? ;-)
Appreciate 1
Caramel128.50
      09-11-2020, 02:32 AM   #18
vr
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biterror View Post
Umm.. Power = constant * torque * RPM, so if they don't limit torque, they limit RPM to 2000? ;-)
yes, that's even more scary but yes, i expect a cut off at high rev.. i was told the same as I m now complaining and they told me: the care is different only at high rev and when you tow something serious like a boat
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 03:37 AM   #19
Sirksael
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Yes that's the way they do it, well they don't literally cut the RPM of course but the power delivery band is modified by making the engine "starve" from a certain RPM.

By the way, this is already the case for the non-limited 45e, as the engine is the same as the 40i and delivers more HP there.

This can be clearly seen in dyno graphs where a starved engine power peaks at completely illogical RPM (like 3000rpm) and then flattens, or even worse, drops off.
Appreciate 1
hiluca69.50
      09-11-2020, 03:38 AM   #20
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Folks, I need your help as a week ago I ordered my new BMW, after almost 10 years driving sedans and coupe, decided to move to the big one.

One of my game changer is the assisted driving features, which unfortunately in EU are heavily reduced; I ordered the 5AU (unfortunately without 5AR as traffic jam isn't available - hope I can code somehow and I hope to have all the necessary hw for a future software/even official upgrade).

I have been obviously guided by a salesperson at the dealer, very kind but probably with less knowledge than myself. I have been guaranteed - by voice - that as soon BMW will finalize regulatory requirements, an update will be pushed live on my g05.

Besides the fact that BMW is historically reluctant with live updates, that's tesla, I am not really sure my car would have the HW (i.e. 5g radio module).

My big dilemma now is:

I didn't order the parking assistant plus, I got the normal parking assistant 5DR, I left the 360 cameras out. I am now worried that I will miss the radars and sensor, the cameras, and this would affect my capabilityto upgrade... (i.e. I couldn't retrofit 5DV in my current G30 as didn't buy comfort access 322, just for a piece of antenna).

Should I go back and spend this 900 eur out of pocket on my own to get it added - if still on time?

v
Congrats! U must add 360 view!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 04:27 AM   #21
StanTheManBG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4, X6

Quote:
What's the panorama view?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 04:38 AM   #22
vr
Rep

Quote:
Yes that's the way they do it, well they don't literally cut the RPM of course but the power delivery band is modified by making the engine "starve" from a certain RPM.

By the way, this is already the case for the non-limited 45e, as the engine is the same as the 40i and delivers more HP there.

This can be clearly seen in dyno graphs where a starved engine power peaks at completely illogical RPM (like 3000rpm) and then flattens, or even worse, drops off.
looks like you know what you are talking about, anything to do to set it back to the default 45e and remove the annoying limitation, anything which is not chip or invasive?
Appreciate 0