BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-25-2024, 11:31 AM   #23
mmm50i
Captain
Rep
Drives: '22 X5 M50i & '23 Model Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
Got new wheels yesterday. I originally had them put 19" silver wheels on, but when they rolled the car out, I really disliked them....a lot. I think the model was '735 Ferric Grey'. They looked very anemic on the X5 IMHO. Walked back in and asked them to please take them off and give me the 20's they had in stock, a set of black 20" 748 M wheels. Much nicer, and I'll get to use the tires from my aftermarket wheelset down the road.

OK, pics of the back side of the Art Replica's attached. I can see and feel a lip / raised ring, a little over a cm wide going around the outside of the mating surface. My finger shows the line marking the inside edge of the 'ring'. Odd that it goes through the bolt holes. So, I don't know if that lip was there when the wheels were new, or if the material is soft and the BMW hub somehow made it? I'm thinking it was there when new as if it were caused by the hub, it wouldn't be going through the bolt holes?
As I expected, the mounting surface of these ART wheels were identical to my wheels. That little lip was definitely there to begin with and not caused by the rotor hats of our cars. The rotor hat surface on our X5 is completely flat and made of aluminum which is probably why they were affected (unlike other cars with steel).

I'm happy to you finally resolved this issue, now you can finally enjoy your car
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 11:34 AM   #24
oldguy00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 xdrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm50i View Post
As I expected, the mounting surface of these ART wheels were identical to my wheels. That little lip was definitely there to begin with and not caused by the rotor hats of our cars. The rotor hat surface on our X5 is completely flat and made of aluminum which is probably why they were affected (unlike other cars with steel).

I'm happy to you finally resolved this issue, now you can finally enjoy your car
Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it. Not happy about the $$ spent, but guess it had to be done, and good to know what the likely cause was.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 11:39 AM   #25
X6ix GTA
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6 40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm50i View Post

I'm curious, is the lip a manufacturing defect on the Art wheel or is it by design?

I'm glad I came across this thread as I general go with aftermarket wheels for my winter sets. Going forward will watch out for any such design issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 11:50 AM   #26
oldguy00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 xdrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by X6ix GTA View Post
I'm curious, is the lip a manufacturing defect on the Art wheel or is it by design?

I'm glad I came across this thread as I general go with aftermarket wheels for my winter sets. Going forward will watch out for any such design issues.
Another forum member also has/had them, not sure if they experienced any issues. But they posted a bunch of pics, looks like that lip is there when new:

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1760490
Appreciate 1
X6ix GTA142.00