BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

BMW X5 vs Range Rover Sport vs Porsche Cayenne S Coupe by Rybrook TV

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Quote:
The SUV has seen an explosion in popularity over the last few years, with them proving to be the body style of choice for many consumers. We have such a wide range of SUVs to pick from at Rybrook that we thought we would bring together 3 of our favourites for our second Rybrook Showcase Videos.

Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk
Appreciate 2
JustChris17424.50
KRS_SN13103.00
      10-27-2021, 01:13 PM   #2
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
that x5 is a beauty!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 02:35 PM   #3
KCH1984
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
that x5 is a beauty!
Agreed. Dravit grey I think? Kinda regret not going for that myself now.
      10-27-2021, 06:47 PM   #4
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCH1984 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
that x5 is a beauty!
Agreed. Dravit grey I think? Kinda regret not going for that myself now.
yes..I would swap to a dravit too. In the ocean of white bsm cb ag pb.. dg does stand out as an amazing colour.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 09:22 PM   #5
kingmonkeyjr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M40i, GLC63, E63s, Trackhawk

We have the X7 in Dravit. One of the best colors made by BMW in my eyes.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 10:37 PM   #6
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

X5, despite no longer being a driver's car, is the objectively best vehicle in segment. Easily the best car for the money. The RR Sport wins in style-factor but leases terribly and driving dynamics/interior are sub-par.

I've only driven the Cayenne V6, which I found to be competent but not "fun." Certainly better driving dynamics than the X5, but not worth the price IMO. They are pretty bland looking, very common, and easily sit on dealer lots at prices well above loaded X5s.

Personally my choice would be the RR Sport due to style/uniqueness factor alone. It possesses a panache the others do not. Less of a mom car than the others.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 08:34 AM   #7
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
X5, despite no longer being a driver's car, is the objectively best vehicle in segment. Easily the best car for the money. The RR Sport wins in style-factor but leases terribly and driving dynamics/interior are sub-par.

I've only driven the Cayenne V6, which I found to be competent but not "fun." Certainly better driving dynamics than the X5, but not worth the price IMO. They are pretty bland looking, very common, and easily sit on dealer lots at prices well above loaded X5s.

Personally my choice would be the RR Sport due to style/uniqueness factor alone. It possesses a panache the others do not. Less of a mom car than the others.

I don’t understand your statement at all. The RR looks basically unchanged since 2013. It’s the Wrangler of luxury SUV’s. Bland and boring In comparison to the X5. I’ve never understood the appeal behind modern day RR’s. Especially with their terrible reliability ratings.
Appreciate 3
      10-29-2021, 10:19 AM   #8
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYEIL View Post
I don’t understand your statement at all. The RR looks basically unchanged since 2013. It’s the Wrangler of luxury SUV’s. Bland and boring In comparison to the X5. I’ve never understood the appeal behind modern day RR’s. Especially with their terrible reliability ratings.
To each their own. And my folks have had two X5s prior to their current which crapped out at 70-80k miles, so the X5 isn't a model citizen of reliability either.

The RR Sport, in my opinion, looks way more macho and stylish than competitors. The X5 looks like a mom car and those are the only people I see driving them. Call me a douche but that lessens the appeal to me.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 11:32 AM   #9
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
To each their own. And my folks have had two X5s prior to their current which crapped out at 70-80k miles, so the X5 isn't a model citizen of reliability either.

The RR Sport, in my opinion, looks way more macho and stylish than competitors. The X5 looks like a mom car and those are the only people I see driving them. Call me a douche but that lessens the appeal to me.
Crapped out at 70k-80k is a very generic statement. LR has had reliability in the toilet for around 20 yrs. Anyone with access to Google should know better than to buy one. Problem is they are popular with the Karen crowd so when one pulls up to the school drop off with one it’s a domino affect.

Personally I don’t care if a mom, dad, garbage man or crossing guard drives the car I like. If I like it I’m going to buy it.
Appreciate 1
PABrian149.50
      10-29-2021, 11:40 AM   #10
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:

I agree with you! Interestingly I have owned the last gen of all of these! The X5 is indeed the best value for money. But I have a soft corner for the RRS only because of how much I enjoyed it. On ski trips in any weather conditions, or trips to the beach, the RRS was the most comfortable because of the interior space, the rear seats and an absolutely amazing sound system. The Cayenne S was great to drive as a DD, but was not good in the snow and just not as great for road trips. The only reason I didn't get another RRS is because they are expensive, difficult to find and very difficult to get discounts. Even used ones are very expensive. The X5 is all around the better value...and in fact when my wife decided to pre-order the BMW iX to replace her Model Y, one reason was she felt the iX was more like a RRS. Go figure!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 11:47 AM   #11
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYEIL View Post
These days even the lowest rated cars have good overall reliability. I've owned a RRS for 4 years and it was pretty reliable and I would one again in a heart beat (if any thing, I liked it more than the Cayenne S we replaced it with). The infotainment system had bugs (which is overwhelmingly what people reports for reliability issues these days for any car) but it didn't make much of a difference in driving the car. I've had fewer issues with iDrive, but it does have issues here and there...LR needs to improve their Infotainment system (which I hear is pretty good now).

The problem with RRS is that they are hard to find and pretty expensive (for me at least).
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 11:56 AM   #12
goobies818
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
These days even the lowest rated cars have good overall reliability. I've owned a RRS for 4 years and it was pretty reliable and I would one again in a heart beat (if any thing, I liked it more than the Cayenne S we replaced it with). The infotainment system had bugs (which is overwhelmingly what people reports for reliability issues these days for any car) but it didn't make much of a difference in driving the car. I've had fewer issues with iDrive, but it does have issues here and there...LR needs to improve their Infotainment system (which I hear is pretty good now).

The problem with RRS is that they are hard to find and pretty expensive (for me at least).
I think reliability surveys have to be taken with a grain of salt. As you mentioned...much of the problems for cars are derived from the infotainment. But publications tend to lump all "problems" together...minor creeks and rattles to full on engine meltdowns.

IMO...there should be a sliding scale as to what constitutes a "problem". My eyes bug out when i see things like JD Power with their survey results and say "car X had reported an average of 103 issues for every 100 cars" and i'm like "huh?"

Furthermore, i think you have to just look at the buyer as well. if you're plunking down well in excess of 100K on a RR...you're going to expect that thing to be perfect...and any slight issue will make your blood boil. Not saying that won't be a similar case of a Kia purchaser...but i think you can follow my logic.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 12:48 PM   #13
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
where I live RRS and cayennes are almost exclusively a mom mobile. I do see a lot of guys driving the X5. The box with wheels design of RRS does nothing for me. Macho
Appreciate 0