BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-14-2023, 07:24 PM   #1
astute_alpaca
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive 50e

Infotainment screen on while charging

Hello everyone!
I recently picked up my first BMW and it's the 2024 50e. I noticed after I plug it in to charge, the vehicle locks, screens turn off and everything seems fine. If I head back out to the garage 20 minutes later, I see the infotainment screen is on and showing BMW. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 10:26 PM   #2
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Note that if you have your key fob with you, depending on your iDrive settings, just getting near the vehicle may start to turn some things back on in anticipation of you getting in to start driving.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 06:35 AM   #3
astute_alpaca
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
Note that if you have your key fob with you, depending on your iDrive settings, just getting near the vehicle may start to turn some things back on in anticipation of you getting in to start driving.
Yes, I am familiar with that. In the situation where I have the key fob, the infotainment screen will stop displaying BMW, the left side will turn on and display charging status and the exterior lights illuminate.

In my photo, no key fob is present or near the vehicle. I will also mention that if I push the lock button on the key fob, it will cause the infotainment screen to turn off and BMW is no longer displayed. That lasts another approximately 20 minutes before it does this again.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 07:10 AM   #4
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
before you open the door to exit the vehicle, are you pressing the engine Stop button or just placing the vehicle in Park then opening the door? if doing the latter, that keeps the vehicle idle. you want it to go into standby, so need to make it a habit to do the former.

many folks with PHEV forget to press the engine Stop button at the end of a trip if the ICE isn’t running because there’s no engine to turn off, but the vehicle electronics still need to be turned off
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 07:59 AM   #5
Line Drive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 50e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
before you open the door to exit the vehicle, are you pressing the Stop button to end your trip or just placing the vehicle in Park then opening the door? if doing the latter, that keeps the vehicle idle. you want it to go into standby, so need to make it a habit to do the former.

many folks with PHEV forget to press the Stop button at the end of a trip if the ICE isn’t running because there’s no “engine” to turn off, but the vehicle electronics still need to be turned off
That's actually a really good point. I can't honestly say that I'm 100% confident that I've always pressed the Stop button in the garage. But I'll try to be conscious about doing that now!
nZtiZia4656.00
      08-15-2023, 09:48 AM   #6
astute_alpaca
Private
Rep

Quote:
before you open the door to exit the vehicle, are you pressing the engine Stop button or just placing the vehicle in Park then opening the door? if doing the latter, that keeps the vehicle idle. you want it to go into standby, so need to make it a habit to do the former.

many folks with PHEV forget to press the engine Stop button at the end of a trip if the ICE isn’t running because there’s no engine to turn off, but the vehicle electronics still need to be turned off
I have been pressing the stop button every time. It's easier then using the Park button because doing so also puts it in park while at the same time, turning things off and ending the trip.

This situation occurs after I walk away from the vehicle, it locks itself and then about 20 minutes later, this happens with the screen illuminated and saying BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 09:50 AM   #7
astute_alpaca
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Line Drive View Post
That's actually a really good point. I can't honestly say that I'm 100% confident that I've always pressed the Stop button in the garage. But I'll try to be conscious about doing that now!
Line Drive Since you also have a 50e, have you seen your screen come back on after approximately 20 minutes of starting a charge?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 10:28 AM   #8
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by astute_alpaca View Post
I have been pressing the stop button every time. It's easier then using the Park button because doing so also puts it in park while at the same time, turning things off and ending the trip.

This situation occurs after I walk away from the vehicle, it locks itself and then about 20 minutes later, this happens with the screen illuminated and saying BMW.
take note of your bolded statement above. I believe this is the issue, though could be wrong. yes, it is convenient to place the vehicle in Park this way, but you’re having to press the brake pedal to keep the vehicle stationary before pressing the button. you’re actually not ending the trip and turning off the electronics properly because pressing the brake pedal and Start/Stop button puts the vehicle in the idle state (“starts the engine”), or if it’s already on, keeps it there.

I always put my vehicle in Park first, let go of the brake pedal since it’s no longer needed to hold the vehicle in place, then press the button. I’ll need to do some simulations your way to observe its behavior then report back.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 12:32 PM   #9
Line Drive
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 50e  [0.00]
Quote:
Line Drive Since you also have a 50e, have you seen your screen come back on after approximately 20 minutes of starting a charge?
I schedule my daily charging to begin after midnight for the lowest rates, so I can't say what the screen looks like when charging ends. I haven't noticed anything different or unusual on the screen in the morning, but again that's typically several hours after the charging session has ended. If I do a mid-day charge, I'll try to monitor what if anything happens with my screen.
      08-15-2023, 04:06 PM   #10
astute_alpaca
Private
Rep

Quote:
take note of your bolded statement above. I believe this is the issue, though could be wrong. yes, it is convenient to place the vehicle in Park this way, but you’re having to press the brake pedal to keep the vehicle stationary before pressing the button. you’re actually not ending the trip and turning off the electronics properly because pressing the brake pedal and Start/Stop button puts the vehicle in the idle state (“starts the engine”), or if it’s already on, keeps it there.

I always put my vehicle in Park first, let go of the brake pedal since it’s no longer needed to hold the vehicle in place, then press the button. I’ll need to do some simulations your way to observe its behavior then report back.
I'll test again by putting it in drive, then park, then stop. I believe the behavior was the same but I can report back in about 30 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 04:07 PM   #11
astute_alpaca
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Line Drive View Post
I schedule my daily charging to begin after midnight for the lowest rates, so I can't say what the screen looks like when charging ends. I haven't noticed anything different or unusual on the screen in the morning, but again that's typically several hours after the charging session has ended. If I do a mid-day charge, I'll try to monitor what if anything happens with my screen.
Understood. I will mention that when I charge overnight and it charges to full, the screen is off in the morning and does not exhibit this behavior. I look forward to hearing if you notice a similar experience with one of your mid-day charges. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 04:20 PM   #12
astute_alpaca
Private
Rep

I emailed BMW Genius last week about this. Below is their response which I received a few hours ago. Unfortunately, I already had the "Turn off after opening door" enabled. The other workaround with the thumbwheel did turn it off briefly but again after 20 minutes, it was back on. Seems like another service visit might in my future soon.

When your BMW is in idle state, it is switched off, including the iDrive screen. The vehicle is in idle state prior to opening from the outside and after exiting and locking. For your BMW, the idle state is automatically established under the following conditions:

After several minutes, if no operation takes place on the vehicle.
If the charge state of the vehicle battery is low.
Depending on the setting via iDrive, if one or both front doors is opened when exiting the vehicle.

In some situations, the idle state is not set automatically, for instance during a phone call or when the low beams are switched on.

After a trip, the sleep mode can be established by opening the front doors. For this purpose, all passengers must exit the vehicle. Please follow the below steps:

Via iDrive: "MENU"
"Vehicle apps"
"Doors and windows"
"Lock/unlock"
"Turn off after opening door"

In order to manually establish an idle state in the vehicle after the end of a trip, press and hold the thumbwheel in the center console until the OFF indicator in the instrument cluster goes out.

If after attempting these steps you still have concerns, please contact your local BMW service center for further assistance. Should you need to access a list of our authorized BMW centers, please visit our website at: www.bmwusa.com, and select “Dealer Locator.”
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 04:42 PM   #13
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I'll test again by putting it in drive, then park, then stop. I believe the behavior was the same but I can report back in about 30 minutes.
ok I tested, and you were correct: with the vehicle gear still in Drive, pressing the brake pedal and the engine Stop button places the vehicle in Park in addition to turning off the vehicle electronics and ending the trip, so there must be something else that’s causing your vehicle to display ‘BMW’ on the infotainment screen.

is it a setting? are you on iDrive 8 or 8.5? there’s been lots of bugs reported on 8.5
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 05:08 PM   #14
astute_alpaca
Private
Rep

Quote:
ok I tested, and you were correct: with the vehicle gear still in Drive, pressing the brake pedal and the engine Stop button places the vehicle in Park in addition to turning off the vehicle electronics and ending the trip, so there must be something else that’s causing your vehicle to display ‘BMW’ on the infotainment screen.

is it a setting? are you on iDrive 8 or 8.5? there’s been lots of bugs reported on 8.5
I tested again and same behavior. Great question on 8 vs 8.5. How can I determine that? When I looked at software upgrades it seems to be running 03/2023.82

One "trick" I noticed is if I use the remote to lock the car again (even though it's already locked), the infotainment screen goes off again for 15 to 20 minutes
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 05:10 PM   #15
carboy40
Rep
Drives: X5 50e

Mine does this as well! The key is far from the car, it’s locked and properly turned off and the BMW screen stays on all night! Only when the car is charging though.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 05:16 PM   #16
astute_alpaca
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy40 View Post
Mine does this as well! The key is far from the car, it’s locked and properly turned off and the BMW screen stays on all night! Only when the car is charging though.
Thank you for confirming it's not just me then!

BMW is recommending taking it in for service. Any chance you brought it in for service already?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 01:26 AM   #17
carboy40
Rep
Drives: X5 50e

Quote:
Thank you for confirming it's not just me then!

BMW is recommending taking it in for service. Any chance you brought it in for service already?
I have not, I feel like it’s not an urgent issue but I will mention it at my first service. Maybe it will get fixed with ID 8.5
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2023, 04:40 PM   #18
astute_alpaca
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy40 View Post
I have not, I feel like it’s not an urgent issue but I will mention it at my first service. Maybe it will get fixed with ID 8.5
Understandable. Since I am currently charging with the included level 1 charger, it can quickly add up to a lot of necessary time (in my opinion) with the screen being on. I plan to get a level 2 charger once some electrical work is done, but that will be a few weeks at the soonest.

I did make an appointment for service tomorrow and I'll report back my findings.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 02:59 PM   #19
astute_alpaca
Private
Rep

It turns out my vehicle was on ID 8 after all. The dealership upgraded it to 8.5 and claimed to have charged it for 20 minutes and the screen did not come on. Of course I took it home, plugged it in and the screen still turns on.

I guess I'll try making an appointment for a different dealership next week.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 03:24 PM   #20
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It turns out my vehicle was on ID 8 after all. The dealership upgraded it to 8.5 and claimed to have charged it for 20 minutes and the screen did not come on. Of course I took it home, plugged it in and the screen still turns on.

I guess I'll try making an appointment for a different dealership next week.
any factors while they had it that could’ve been different than your charging scenario at home?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 07:05 PM   #21
couchgate
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

My fresh week 32 50e with ID 8.5 does this too - same thing with the BMW logo. I feel like it has to be intentional?
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2023, 08:35 PM   #22
astute_alpaca
Private
Rep

Quote:
any factors while they had it that could’ve been different than your charging scenario at home?
I strongly believe they never plugged it in. I looked at the myBMW app while at the dealership and mentioned to the service advisor that it didn't register a charge in the app. He said something to the effect of "huh, that's odd". Every charge I have done in the past that lasted more than a few seconds has registered as far as I could tell.
Appreciate 0