BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-17-2023, 08:49 PM   #23
astute_alpaca
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by couchgate View Post
My fresh week 32 50e with ID 8.5 does this too - same thing with the BMW logo. I feel like it has to be intentional?
I agree it does seem that way to me as well. The fact that the BMW Genius team said to bring it in for service has me continuing to question it and so far no one can confirm if it is by design. If it is by design, it would seem a waste of thousands of hours of the screen being on.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 08:59 PM   #24
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by astute_alpaca View Post
I strongly believe they never plugged it in. I looked at the myBMW app while at the dealership and mentioned to the service advisor that it didn't register a charge in the app. He said something to the effect of "huh, that's odd". Every charge I have done in the past that lasted more than a few seconds has registered as far as I could tell.
sometimes there's a glitch in the matrix. could be a coincidence. still, was the electric range when you picked it up higher or lower than when you dropped it off?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 09:11 AM   #25
astute_alpaca
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
sometimes there's a glitch in the matrix. could be a coincidence. still, was the electric range when you picked it up higher or lower than when you dropped it off?
Lower
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 03:55 PM   #26
astute_alpaca
Private
Rep

The 2nd dealership seems more interested in getting to the bottom of this. They replicated the issue and contacted BMW. BMW had them reprogram it again but the issue persists. They want me to bring the car back and get a loaner so they can have a few days to further investigate.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2023, 07:43 PM   #27
Jzomom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Did you have your phone with you ? It senses the digital key and goes to Idle …
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2023, 07:15 PM   #28
astute_alpaca
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzomom View Post
Did you have your phone with you ? It senses the digital key and goes to Idle …
No phone, no key.

Dropped it off at the dealership yesterday and no word yet... They gave me a pretty basic 2023 for a loaner which makes me miss mine a lot more. Thankfully I haven't had to drive it much.
Appreciate 1
Jzomom9.00
      09-06-2023, 07:17 PM   #29
astute_alpaca
Private
Rep

After a little over a week at the dealership and quite a bit of back and forth between their shop foreman and BMW, they concluded that the behavior is by design.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2023, 08:48 PM   #30
astute_alpaca
Private
Rep

Another bit of info for anyone interested...

I did some further monitoring and while the screen comes on after 20 minutes of initiating a charge, I recently found that after 2 hours of starting a charge, the seems to then turn off. I plan to do a few more validations of this to be sure though.

This goes against what the dealership SA told me of "The screen turns on by design to indicate it's charging" but at least now I have a small bit of confidence the screen is not on for ten plus hours a day potentially.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2023, 09:13 PM   #31
astute_alpaca
Private
Rep

I checked it 30 minutes later and it's back on

I wish there was something documented about this behavior.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 07:20 AM   #32
Jcit
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 50e  [0.00]
I have a new 2024 X5 50e on iDrive 8.5 and it acts the same way. After plugging in overnight to charge when I go back to see the car hours later the "BMW" is emblazoned on the screen. Its not really a big deal to me except I don't want it to burn that image into the screen! I did not check if it moved the image around to prevent pixel burn-in. If they move it around the screen I am guessing it is intentional if not I think this has to be a bug.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 07:11 PM   #33
astute_alpaca
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcit View Post
I have a new 2024 X5 50e on iDrive 8.5 and it acts the same way. After plugging in overnight to charge when I go back to see the car hours later the "BMW" is emblazoned on the screen. Its not really a big deal to me except I don't want it to burn that image into the screen! I did not check if it moved the image around to prevent pixel burn-in. If they move it around the screen I am guessing it is intentional if not I think this has to be a bug.
It does not move around the screen unfortunately. It is motivating me to get that level 2 charger faster though.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 08:09 PM   #34
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
surely there are more 50e owners who can give their experiences regarding this?

I wonder if your dealership delivered your vehicle in a demo-type mode. the screen staying on like that for hours on end isn’t right. electronics need to go into standby as they’re drawing excess electricity unnecessarily. imagine you’re plugged into a public charger at night… BLING BLING!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2023, 07:11 AM   #35
Jcit
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 50e  [0.00]
So I went out to the garage last night after the car had been on the charger for 1+ hours and was still charging and the screen was off, no "BMW". It was also off this morning with a full charge. Not sure if this is an intermittent thing or if it finally stopped happening. FWIW there appear to be a lot of little inside lights, noises (fans), etc. engaging after the car is parked and turned off. I attribute it to the PHEV part of the car so this is all new ground for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2023, 02:48 PM   #36
astute_alpaca
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
surely there are more 50e owners who can give their experiences regarding this?

I wonder if your dealership delivered your vehicle in a demo-type mode. the screen staying on like that for hours on end isn’t right. electronics need to go into standby as they’re drawing excess electricity unnecessarily. imagine you’re plugged into a public charger at night… BLING BLING!
I totally agree with you. Two different dealerships have serviced the vehicle for this. The first one reprogrammed it twice. The second dealership reprogrammed it a third time but somehow differently per BMW's instructions. Of course this is being relayed from the tech to the SA then to me but I would love to see what BMW has actually said as part of the troubleshooting.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2023, 02:51 PM   #37
astute_alpaca
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcit View Post
So I went out to the garage last night after the car had been on the charger for 1+ hours and was still charging and the screen was off, no "BMW". It was also off this morning with a full charge. Not sure if this is an intermittent thing or if it finally stopped happening. FWIW there appear to be a lot of little inside lights, noises (fans), etc. engaging after the car is parked and turned off. I attribute it to the PHEV part of the car so this is all new ground for me.
I was able to confirm mine turned off after 2 hours by setting up a security camera in my garage. It's also how I was able to confirm that it comes back on again.

It has reliably turned off completely when fully charged so I guess I have that going for me.

I am used to fans running occasionally or constantly depending on various temperatures such as ambient temp in the garage and the vehicle's temp. Like you mentioned, there are some other lights that are on as part of this such as the button to engage the hazard lights.
Appreciate 1
Jcit51.00
      10-10-2023, 10:44 AM   #38
astute_alpaca
Private
Rep

Had the level 2 charger installed last week and now the screen does not turn on while charging. Very odd that using the level 1 charger seems to have caused it...
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 11:51 AM   #39
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
odd
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2024, 06:25 PM   #40
cgnavarro
Rep
Drives: 15MY F30 320i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by astute_alpaca View Post
Hello everyone!
I recently picked up my first BMW and it's the 2024 50e. I noticed after I plug it in to charge, the vehicle locks, screens turn off and everything seems fine. If I head back out to the garage 20 minutes later, I see the infotainment screen is on and showing BMW. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks!
Unfortunately it is designed to show the BMW Logo (and burn the screen) while charging after ~15 min of the last keyfob command, lock, unlock.

You can continue locking your vehicle every 15 mins with keyfob or app while charging to avoid this.

Again, this is a design mistake adn as more people report it to the delaers, the quicker the feedback will reach design so they can get rid of this stupidity with an update.

It has nothing to do with car in "sleep"mode (turned off) or wether or not you put it in Park or press Ignition button to end your trip (and putting it in Park automatically).

Hopefully BMW understands this mistake and gets it fixed as it is annoying as hell.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 09:49 AM   #41
astute_alpaca
Private
Rep

I agree and it should be fixed. I also find it interesting that when charging at full power this does not occur. Since I had my level 2 charger installed, I no longer have the screen coming on.
Appreciate 0