06-04-2019, 08:34 AM   #23
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizfiend View Post
It's a lot easier if you lift the whole car up. I watched my body shop guy do it without taking the bumper off. It wasn't easy as he hadn't done it before and it took a few hours. After removing the screws you have to use a flat head screw driver to pry and release a clip its hooked on to.
He must have broke the rivet and not putting it back.
I have done a few, and that reflector is pinched in between.

It is fine if you don't put the rivet back, since it is being held by the 2 screw or the fender liner is held hy 2 screw to that lose inner air guide.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 02:26 PM   #24
y411n
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

Hi there!
I managed to take 3 screws out but I couldn't take the trim out. Can you share your experience prying out and releasing the clips that's hooked on to? I was only managed to take the outer one but not the bent one on the inside.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 10:53 AM   #25
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by y411n View Post
Hi there!
I managed to take 3 screws out but I couldn't take the trim out. Can you share your experience prying out and releasing the clips that's hooked on to? I was only managed to take the outer one but not the bent one on the inside.
It is easier if you can remove the tips with the whole bracket.
I always do it that way. So I remove the trim from the bracket on the bench.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 08:40 PM   #26
BMW003E
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2CS, M2C, & X5

This was a very informative writeup. I used it to replace the chrome tips with black times. Taking the bumper off wasn't too difficult, but I did have to take all of the screws off from the underside of the bumper. I wasn't sure which ones anchored it to the substructure, so I removed all of them.

There are a couple of tabs on the top side of the exhaust that keep it in the bracket. Once I released the tabs, the exhaust tips popped right out.

Disassembly took the longest, because of the care needed to pull the bumper off. Reassembly went really quickly.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 08:13 PM   #27
chrisnack
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 (G05) 50i

Anyone not taking the bumper off is nuts! I’m no stranger to taking apart cars and used to be a installer. Those screws are insane, I spent 2 hours last night trying to get to them without luck. I had the bumper off in 30 minutes tonight.

Here's a few more details to help out.

Here's a pic with the exhaust tip still in the bumper so you can see the bolts and tabs. (white labels)

Also, the only real spot that will give you trouble removing the bumper is under the taillights, and here is what that looks like as well (red boxes). I had to remove the taillight on the driver side as it was starting to break one of the tabs, but the passenger side was fine. It's 2 torx bolts on the rear and one 10mm nut on the inside of the cargo bay, front of the light.

Lastly, here is what the reflector looks like as well so you know what you are dealing with.
Attached Images

Last edited by chrisnack; 02-24-2021 at 08:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 07:12 PM   #28
El30
Private
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 E46 M3

Which screws did you end up having to remove from underneath the truck? I started this project today and got to the point where all the screws from up top were removed and then realized there's screws and rivets underneath. Wasn't sure if I needed to pop out those plastic rivets. I wanted to buy that tool to replace them if I needed to.

Any info is appreciated, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 07:07 PM   #29
El30
Private
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW003E View Post
This was a very informative writeup. I used it to replace the chrome tips with black times. Taking the bumper off wasn't too difficult, but I did have to take all of the screws off from the underside of the bumper. I wasn't sure which ones anchored it to the substructure, so I removed all of them.

There are a couple of tabs on the top side of the exhaust that keep it in the bracket. Once I released the tabs, the exhaust tips popped right out.

Disassembly took the longest, because of the care needed to pull the bumper off. Reassembly went really quickly.
Quote:

Did you have to remove any of the plastic rivets underneath or just the screws to re,I've the bumper? Any info is appreciated
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 09:58 AM   #30
BMW003E
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2CS, M2C, & X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by El30 View Post
Quote:

Quote:

Did you have to remove any of the plastic rivets underneath or just the screws to re,I've the bumper? Any info is appreciated
I didn't mess with the rivets underneath. Just all of the screws holding the bumper on. I suspect there is a way to get to the exhausts without removing the bumper but you'd have to remove the rivets and plastic pieces underneath.
Appreciate 0